"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Embedding Youtube videos on the forums

Reply to topic
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 19 2014 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else having problems trying to post & embed Youtube videos on the forums?

I did some searching, and a bunch of eBay users are pissed that Youtube flat-out removed the ability to use the old embed code, disabling them from linking videos to their products. I've also tried using websites with code generators to post videos, which don't seem to work.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Dec 19 2014 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Embedding videos is lame. I'd rather everybody just link to the video because I prefer watching videos on Youtube itself.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Dec 19 2014 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarknessDeku wrote:
Embedding videos is lame. I'd rather everybody just link to the video because I prefer watching videos on Youtube itself.

It's just more convenient to be able to stay on the site you're currently at and watch a video. It is not lame just because you'd rather go watch them at YouTube, just simply a matter of preference.

Also, here ya go Cam, courtesy of Etch. http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=380119#380119

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 03:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you JoshWoodzystem_32

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Dec 20 2014 05:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just use this site.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Mr. Satire
Title: No title necessary.
PostPosted: Jan 10 2015 08:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

As I explained in the "Rejuvenating the Site" thread, this board really needs a YouTube tag that uses the new embed code.

The old embed code is obviously depreciated, and will probably cease to work at all in the very near future. It also forces Flash, which is a fuck-you to anyone browsing on mobile or without Flash on a desktop (I just get a blank space).
Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Jan 10 2015 01:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't force flash on Chrome. Just sends me to the app. And it actually plays in browser on Dolphin. We definitely need to update to the new embed code, but it isn't all that bad right now.
Mr. Satire
PostPosted: Jan 11 2015 03:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
Doesn't force flash on Chrome. Just sends me to the app. And it actually plays in browser on Dolphin. We definitely need to update to the new embed code, but it isn't all that bad right now.

That's only Chrome and Dolphin on (I assume) Android.

That doesn't account for iOS, Windows Phone or personal computers without Flash installed.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Jan 11 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

This mod supposedly adds the [youtube] tag to the list of built-in BBCode, but it is probably so old that it still embeds Flash.

The phpBB software needs to be updated to support <iframe> for the new code but I don't know if it's even possible. Or if it is, it needs to be added to the list of allowed HTML tags for user posts.

Mr. Satire
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 04:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
This mod supposedly adds the [youtube] tag to the list of built-in BBCode, but it is probably so old that it still embeds Flash.

The phpBB software needs to be updated to support <iframe> for the new code but I don't know if it's even possible. Or if it is, it needs to be added to the list of allowed HTML tags for user posts.

I'm pretty sure you could do iframes on phpBB2, it's just disabled on this board.

This page describes adding a YouTube BBCode tag on phpBB3, but I'm not sure phpBB2 even has the option for custom BBCode tags in the admin interface. Hence why we really need to update to the new forums as soon as we can.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 09:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think embedding YouTube videos is so important that it warrants this thread. Are you guys just waiting to spam the forums with a shitload of unnecessary videos or something? There is nothing worse than opening a thread where every post on an entire page is videos. I usually just don't even bother. If you want me to watch your video, take some time to write something compelling as for why we should bother watching something you find interesting and post a link. It is much better to open the video in another tab.

Also, as stated earlier in this thread, there is a workaround that is quite simple. Why waste time updating shit that doesn't need to be updated? You will still have to copy and paste a link either way.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 04:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The music forums practically thrive on videos, @om*d.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 06:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What HTML tags would I need to authorize for the new YouTube embed code to work?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
I don't think embedding YouTube videos is so important that it warrants this thread. Are you guys just waiting to spam the forums with a shitload of unnecessary videos or something? There is nothing worse than opening a thread where every post on an entire page is videos. I usually just don't even bother. If you want me to watch your video, take some time to write something compelling as for why we should bother watching something you find interesting and post a link. It is much better to open the video in another tab.

Also, as stated earlier in this thread, there is a workaround that is quite simple. Why waste time updating shit that doesn't need to be updated? You will still have to copy and paste a link either way.

I can understand preferring to watch videos in a new tab, but the rest of this post comes off as very dickish.
The Opponent
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
What HTML tags would I need to authorize for the new YouTube embed code to work?

The new embed code looks like this:

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yr_Rpk9HR1g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So just <iframe>.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Satire wrote:
Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:

That's only Chrome and Dolphin on (I assume) Android.

That doesn't account for iOS, Windows Phone or personal computers without Flash installed.

I was really only thinking about iOS having problems. There's no reason why your personal computer wouldn't have Flash. And I totally forgot Windows phones are a thing.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 12 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
@om*d wrote:

I can understand preferring to watch videos in a new tab, but the rest of this post comes off as very dickish.

I am kind of a dick, I guess.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
The new embed code looks like this:

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yr_Rpk9HR1g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
The Opponent
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome. I didn't expect it could be solved so simply.

Bob Dylan`s Blues
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 01:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just tried it. Works perfectly! Thanks, Syd.
HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 01:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: Never mind

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Mr. Satire
PostPosted: Jan 13 2015 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The videos posted to this thread work on my computer and iOS devices. Awesome!

Only issue I'm seeing is that the topic review shown on the posting screen is a bit messed up.

@om*d wrote:

We don't want to and won't spam threads. We just need a way of showing YouTube videos that won't have all support dropped in the near future, and that supports any non-shit browsers.

Bob Dylan`s Blues wrote:
I was really only thinking about iOS having problems. There's no reason why your personal computer wouldn't have Flash. And I totally forgot Windows phones are a thing.

I don't have Flash on my personal computer since there is no real need for it in 2015, and it rapes my i7 CPU to play even ultra-shit quality video.
Reply to topic

Jump to: