Things that piss you off, the TV edition

Reply to topic
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Oct 16 2011 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
joshwoodzy wrote:
I thought he was Canadian.

Canadians are just Americans-lite. Same difference.

same great taste, half the calories.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Mr. Spidersquid
Title: title?
PostPosted: Oct 19 2011 03:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gordon Ramsey! Ok he is a loud mouth chef. Why do they give him 12 shows?

Zim: "I put the fires out!"
Tallest: "You made them worse!"
Zim: "Worse or better?"

brian
Banned
Title: Shit Disturber
PostPosted: Oct 20 2011 06:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joshwoodzy wrote:
I was simply saying that the way you worded the sentence made no sense. Stephen King books are better than his movies? No fucking shit.

No.
What I meant was, your not limited to reading SK novels only on 7:30 to 8:30 at night. on a certain channel, on a certain night, with commercials/ads every 10 minutes.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 20 2011 08:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's still something cool about seeing literature brought to life, though. Having read the entire Song of Ice and Fire series, for instance, I'm really excited to see the next two books put on screen, limitations be damned.
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Oct 20 2011 08:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Spidersquid wrote:

I only really enjoyed Hell's Kitchen that's about it...
Mr. Spidersquid
Title: title?
PostPosted: Oct 21 2011 02:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Slayer1 wrote:
Mr. Spidersquid wrote:

Yeah I used to like Hell's Kitchen but this last season sucked really hard. It was too cookie cutter reality show scripted crap.

Zim: "I put the fires out!"
Tallest: "You made them worse!"
Zim: "Worse or better?"

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Oct 21 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Spidersquid wrote:
Slayer1 wrote:
Mr. Spidersquid wrote:

Yeah I used to like Hell's Kitchen but this last season sucked really hard. It was too cookie cutter reality show scripted crap.

I gave up on watching last few episodes of the last season after they just tried to make a shit-storm war.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Oct 27 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Update on what pisses me off: I read today on Wikipedia that, like Human Target, AMW was cancelled from Fox five months ago. Unlike Human Target, however, AMW was moved to Lifetime. LIFETIME! I understand why no one told me this; I don't imagine Lifetime to be all that popular here. And while it's now on a network famous for domestic abuse movies starring Valerie Bertinelli, what really pisses me off is that we don't even get it up here. Instead, we have this network called W. And while I imagine a good chunk of its programming comes from Lifetime, like other networks we have up here with American counterparts, I don't see AMW joining them. Damn you, Fox. You just had to have more sports broadcasts on Saturday nights, didn't you.

UPDATE: Scratch that, it's back on Fox. I'd have known this sooner if I had this week's TV schedule.

UPDATE: Scratch that, it was just for a two-hour special. I swear, of all the weeks to get the TV schedule late...
username
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

FOX raising their price. so, due to that, DirecTV will drop FX & Fox Soccer Channel as well as all the regional Fox College channels as of november 1st. so, no new Its Always Sunny for me & i will be lucky if i catch soccer on ESPN.

Klimbatize wrote:

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 04:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
FOX raising their price. so, due to that, DirecTV will drop FX & Fox Soccer Channel as well as all the regional Fox College channels as of november 1st. so, no new Its Always Sunny for me & i will be lucky if i catch soccer on ESPN.

Yeah they hiked their prices something like 40% and expect DirectTV to just be like "Yeah that's cool." I think it was reported that Fox offered to let DirectTV keep running the networks until a deal was worked out but I think the decision to not take them up on that might actually help them get a deal brokered faster. Gonna lose some ad revenue on those channels now that one of the big providers isn't carrying them. Just have to watch Sons of Anarchy online for a couple weeks I guess, but I don't really blame DirectTV for this, I wouldn't want them hiking their rates on my Dad because they already are super pricey even without the Sunday Ticket package that lets me see the Bucs games.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

FOX tried that in New York and Cablevision(metropolitan NY area cable company) was airing commercials in place of the FOX channels calling them out on being greedy and listing the phone numbers of FOX executives for people to call so they could complain. If DirecTV follows Cablevision's example you should only miss out on a couple of days worth of those channels. Cablevision also dealt with ABC (I think it was them, at least) in a similar way.

username
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 01:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i dont blame directv at all. i blame fox. and i do expect them to reach a new deal w/out screwing the customer over. i like how directv took the initiative to tell their customers about this. they have been #1 in customer service for quite some time, after all.

Klimbatize wrote:

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It does seem they've come to an agreement if the news I'm reading is the truth. I'm still wondering what exactly Fox thought justified the price hike of some of the most unwatched channels they offer. NatGeo must be getting popular or something. Rolling Eyes I guess they thought FX, Fox News, and Speed were worth getting the other crap lumped in.
username
PostPosted: Oct 31 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
It does seem they've come to an agreement if the news I'm reading is the truth. I'm still wondering what exactly Fox thought justified the price hike of some of the most unwatched channels they offer. NatGeo must be getting popular or something. Rolling Eyes I guess they thought FX, Fox News, and Speed were worth getting the other crap lumped in.

its probably the ratings they get from the regional sports channels. i watch the U of AZ basketball team locally. i also watch fox soccer channel, and there seems to be some sort of spike in popularity of soccer. so, that probably did it too.

Klimbatize wrote:

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 02 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:

They also need Fox Business Channel so that Fox News Anchors can pretend they have a legitimate backing source to their retarded economic opinions.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 26 2012 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thinking about the older Fairly Oddparents and literally having nostalgia so bad that it hurt.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that Freaks And Geeks got cancelled.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 02 2013 08:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Commercials suck.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jan 05 2013 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Shows like this are why I don't watch TV anymore.

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 07 2013 07:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much everything on TV in general these days seems to piss me off.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Oct 09 2014 09:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate when people use the "it's a kids show" excuse to defend a terrible show. I seriously fucking hate it. That is not a valid fucking excuse. Just because a show is targeted towards kids doesn't mean it has to be pandering or have dumb writing. Honestly, this "it's a kids show" line of thinking is what's allowing this garbage to exist. If you ask me, it's pretty damn insulting to the kids these shows are targeted towards. You see, the morons who make these kinds of shows go into it with the mindset "Well, they're just kids. Kids are stupid. We can make any poorly made show and watch the ratings flow in." It seriously pisses me off. Believe it or not, a kids show can be intelligent, imaginative, and well written with likable characters and a developed plot (if it's a show that has a continuous story). So yes, I will criticize shitty shows, whether they're for kids or not.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

kalemklub
PostPosted: Oct 09 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

HardcoreGamer4Ever wrote:
I hate when people use the "it's a kids show" excuse to defend a terrible show. I seriously fucking hate it. That is not a valid fucking excuse. Just because a show is targeted towards kids doesn't mean it has to be pandering or have dumb writing. Honestly, this "it's a kids show" line of thinking is what's allowing this garbage to exist. If you ask me, it's pretty damn insulting to the kids these shows are targeted towards. You see, the morons who make these kinds of shows go into it with the mindset "Well, they're just kids. Kids are stupid. We can make any poorly made show and watch the ratings flow in." It seriously pisses me off. Believe it or not, a kids show can be intelligent, imaginative, and well written with likable characters and a developed plot (if it's a show that has a continuous story). So yes, I will criticize shitty shows, whether they're for kids or not.

I wonder sometimes what kind of effort goes into these kinds of kids' shows. Is it made by (A) people who are just greedy and want to make a quick buck off kids, or (B) people who honest-to-god do not understand how kids think, the way my middle-aged mom likes to use "cool kid" lingo with disastrous results. Are there showrunners who really believe that children will buy into crap storylines and dialogue because they think it's what they'd be into? It would be interesting if it were a genuine disconnect with today's generation of kids.
Methid Man
Title: Spawn of Billy Mays
PostPosted: Oct 09 2014 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

kalemklub wrote:

I wonder sometimes what kind of effort goes into these kinds of kids' shows. Is it made by (A) people who are just greedy and want to make a quick buck off kids, or (B) people who honest-to-god do not understand how kids think, the way my middle-aged mom likes to use "cool kid" lingo with disastrous results. Are there showrunners who really believe that children will buy into crap storylines and dialogue because they think it's what they'd be into? It would be interesting if it were a genuine disconnect with today's generation of kids.

I'd say it's the latter. I happen to be a fan of the kids show Littlest Pet Shop on the Hub, and although I do enjoy it most of the time, it does suffer from crappy writing here and there. It mostly comes from writers who seem to be trying way too hard to make the show come off as "hip" and "modern" when they're pretty damn out of touch with today's generation of kids.

Below is an excerpt from a post I made in a forum dedicated to the show:

---

"Okay, one thing I REALLY don't like in this show is when the characters use a lot of unnecessary chatroom lingo and acronyms in face-to-face conversations. It's enough to get a rant out of me.

Seriously, does it really speed up a conversation to say OMG when it takes just as much time to say 'Oh my gosh'? What's the use in doing that? People abbreviate those words online because it's quicker to type three letters than three whole words. Which is understandable. But to say them out loud in person when it takes the same amount of syllables to say the whole words? I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

What's even more stupid is when you abbreviate words that aren't normally abbreviated. I mean, most people who use the internet already know what OMG, LOL, JK, BRB, ASAP, etc. stand for but can you really expect someone to automatically guess what the hell TSC means? How the hell am I supposed to know it doesn't stand for Tuberous Sclerosis Complex? Even close friends would scratch their heads if they really heard that. NSPTHII? (Not So Pleasant To Hear, Is It?) See what I mean?

Last but not least, and this REALLY gets on my nerves... The one acronym I absolutely cannot understand nor tolerate hearing aloud in an actual conversation: LOL... Sure, it's great to use when chatting or texting someone, hell, I use it myself and I like how it helps let the person know that you find something funny because speaking in text has its limitations. The reason it works so well in TEXT-BASED conversations is because the other person CANNOT HEAR YOU LAUGH OR TELL IF YOU FIND SOMETHING AMUSING. That's why LOL was invented. The reason it DOESN'T work in a RL VOICE conversation is because YOU CAN JUST SIMPLY LAUGH OUT LOUD or at the very least SMILE if you don't have the energy to laugh. You don't ever say the letters LOL out loud because IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK FRICKIN' RETARDED. Just laugh, fool!

When speaking to someone in person, you don't have the disadvantage of having someone misinterpret your message due to being unable to hear your tone of voice or any audible action. So there's absolutely NO POINT in resorting to net speak in an actual conversation."

---

Source: http://littlestrpg.proboards.com/thread/280/okay-thing-show-rant
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Oct 09 2014 05:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why is the forum named "Littlest RPG"? Does that stand for something other than "Role-Playing Game" or "Rocket-Propelled Grenade"?
kalemklub
PostPosted: Oct 09 2014 09:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Methid Man wrote:
kalemklub wrote:

I'd say it's the latter. I happen to be a fan of the kids show Littlest Pet Shop on the Hub, and although I do enjoy it most of the time, it does suffer from crappy writing here and there. It mostly comes from writers who seem to be trying way too hard to make the show come off as "hip" and "modern" when they're pretty damn out of touch with today's generation of kids.

Below is an excerpt from a post I made in a forum dedicated to the show:

---

"Okay, one thing I REALLY don't like in this show is when the characters use a lot of unnecessary chatroom lingo and acronyms in face-to-face conversations. It's enough to get a rant out of me.

Seriously, does it really speed up a conversation to say OMG when it takes just as much time to say 'Oh my gosh'? What's the use in doing that? People abbreviate those words online because it's quicker to type three letters than three whole words. Which is understandable. But to say them out loud in person when it takes the same amount of syllables to say the whole words? I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

What's even more stupid is when you abbreviate words that aren't normally abbreviated. I mean, most people who use the internet already know what OMG, LOL, JK, BRB, ASAP, etc. stand for but can you really expect someone to automatically guess what the hell TSC means? How the hell am I supposed to know it doesn't stand for Tuberous Sclerosis Complex? Even close friends would scratch their heads if they really heard that. NSPTHII? (Not So Pleasant To Hear, Is It?) See what I mean?

Last but not least, and this REALLY gets on my nerves... The one acronym I absolutely cannot understand nor tolerate hearing aloud in an actual conversation: LOL... Sure, it's great to use when chatting or texting someone, hell, I use it myself and I like how it helps let the person know that you find something funny because speaking in text has its limitations. The reason it works so well in TEXT-BASED conversations is because the other person CANNOT HEAR YOU LAUGH OR TELL IF YOU FIND SOMETHING AMUSING. That's why LOL was invented. The reason it DOESN'T work in a RL VOICE conversation is because YOU CAN JUST SIMPLY LAUGH OUT LOUD or at the very least SMILE if you don't have the energy to laugh. You don't ever say the letters LOL out loud because IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK FRICKIN' RETARDED. Just laugh, fool!

When speaking to someone in person, you don't have the disadvantage of having someone misinterpret your message due to being unable to hear your tone of voice or any audible action. So there's absolutely NO POINT in resorting to net speak in an actual conversation."

---

Source: http://littlestrpg.proboards.com/thread/280/okay-thing-show-rant

I blame Tumblr.
Reply to topic

Jump to: