SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Text Adventure

Reply to topic
LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 27 2014 07:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After two years of not programming, I'm looking to get back into that job market. Going for web dev just because that's where a lot of the jobs are, even though I've never done web stuff before.

Anyway, I taught myself javascript this week, and I made this text adventure to have something to show for it. I thought I'd post it here in case anyone wants to give it a crack.

http://www.psychobrahe.altervista.com/doq/

Should anyone happen to look at the actual code: I know it's ugly. I did it as I was teaching myself the language. Normally I would be a lot more object-oriented.

EDIT: link corrected
Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 27 2014 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure the link is correct? It's just taking me to a listing of website suggestions from my ISP.

I'll check again later this weekend!
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 27 2014 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am also getting suggestions from my ISP. I too shall check back later and give it a shot.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 27 2014 09:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Oops! Good catch guys. Nothing worse than having the wrong link to your own website.

I forgot that I want with the free version, so no domain name yet. The link is fixed.
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 27 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to experience the game and the code. I've always wanted to get into the programming market, but I've only aided a friend in javascript once, and that was more about algorithms than syntax. I've mainly dealt with C# recently and BlitzBasic back in the day. If I do ever go back to college, my next programming class will be javascript, thank deity. The first class was C++, which I still don't get, as far as I know, it's not used that much anymore. I had always figured it was be some form of BASIC.

RIP Hacker.

Rycona
PostPosted: Jun 29 2014 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've just started, but I'm already finding something that makes this a huge pain in the ass.

- When I hit the Enter Key, it adds a paragraph break where I would think it would be common for the "SUBMIT" function to occur. This can lead to an non-viewable string (as it will be drawn outside of the box's viewport) that will lead to erroneous commands and won't be cleared unless it is deleted manually. The mouse isn't needed for anything other than clicking Submit, so the player will gave to go back and forth for each "page."

- Refreshing the page seems to restart the whole game. Is there a way to force feedback to confirm the refresh and explain that data will be lost?

EDIT: And I'm on Chrome - Version 35.0.1916.153 m (most recent), if that's a factor.

EDIT II: Also, since you have to click on the SUBMIT button, you will have to click on the text entry box to type the next command.

EDIT III: And a few other things:

[SPOILER:a4313ca96d]- After opening the chest, the room's descriptive text doesn't change to refer to it as already being opened or anything.

- When dying and restarting, the torch in the immediate east closet wasn't in the descriptive text, but I could still pick it up. Same with Blue Key, so I figure all the items do this. The descriptive text does reappear when you refresh the page.

- When you go back into the first second floor room again, the descriptive text is the same, saying "You have climbed up to the second floor," even though I came in from another room on the same floor.[/SPOILER:a4313ca96d]

All and all, not bad for a start. I hope I've been able to help, although I'm sure you've noticed at least some of the things I've mentioned.

EDIT IV: One more thing I thought of. When you enter a command incorrectly, instead of just displaying "Command not recognized," also show the previous input, that way the player can see what they did wrong and correct it more effectively for the next input.

EDIT V: One more one-more thing. The torch gifs at the top aren't animating in the Chrome browser, but it is animated if I open one of the torch images in a new tab.

They are animated on top on IE though.

RIP Hacker.

LeshLush
PostPosted: Jun 29 2014 07:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

THanks Rycona. I'll fix these things. All of it's easy to do, just things that I overlooked.
Rycona
PostPosted: Jun 29 2014 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LeshLush wrote:
THanks Rycona. I'll fix these things. All of it's easy to do, just things that I overlooked.

I understand. It's easy to get caught up with certain aspects of development and miss some seemingly obvious things. Mad

RIP Hacker.

Reply to topic

Jump to: