SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Personal Information Online: How Much Is Too Much?

Reply to topic
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 03:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Some time ago, I removed myself from Facebook for about a year. During that period, I became increasingly paranoid about how much personal information I had online. When I came back to Facebook, I removed a lot of information on my page/profile. I know there's at least one copy of it out there somewhere, but I still didn't feel comfortable at being pigeonholed by data, especially by advertisers. Occasionally, I wonder if I worry too much about it. Concerning advertising, I'd rather have them have to do more work to garner me as a customer. Otherwise, I just tend to be more private, but I sacrifice that privacy to do neat things and connect to neat people online (like right now).

I also feel that part of developing a relationship with new people is learning about them one step at a time. With a flushed-out profile, that removes much of that development. It's like reading a walkthrough for a game without ever playing it first. I'd rather experience the surprises and perceptual hooplah at it unfolds. It seems more natural if nothing else. Does anyone else ever consider anything like this?

RIP Hacker.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 09:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

I value my privacy big time, so my web presence is very controlled as far as using/posting any personal information online. Did you know it's legal to use an alias as long as you are not committing fraud? For years I have had a credit card under an alias that I use solely for online purchases. As far as social media goes, I rarely use my real name, it's almost always a foreign translation and I try not to post any photos of myself. I think there are maybe two photos of me online, which is more than enough as far as I am concerned.

I agree with your comments on developing relationships with people. I have found in the past that when I was reading someone's myspace/facebook profile and they had everything about themselves laid out to read like some instruction booklet I would tend to have less interest in that person. I always gravitated towards the more mysterious ones, who had blatant misinformation or almost none at all.

It seems like people are becoming more and more socially retarded these days, and I am sure social media and the internet is the big influence there.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

My facebook profile is as restricted as it can be, but even so, there's as much information stored in your cookies as there is anywhere else. The problem I always found about reading someone's profile is that they talk about themselves using their own self-perceptions, not the way other people generally see them.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 05:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
... The problem I always found about reading someone's profile is that they talk about themselves using their own self-perceptions, not the way other people generally see them.

Which tells more about them than they probably intend. Hoo-hoo! This can also show levels of self-awareness.

RIP Hacker.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 19 2014 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona wrote:
I also feel that part of developing a relationship with new people is learning about them one step at a time. With a flushed-out profile, that removes much of that development. It's like reading a walkthrough for a game without ever playing it first. I'd rather experience the surprises and perceptual hooplah at it unfolds. It seems more natural if nothing else. Does anyone else ever consider anything like this?

Agreed several times over.
Reply to topic

Jump to: