"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Getting back into M:TG

Reply to topic
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 22 2014 09:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not giving up clix or anything for it, but our Clix judge is a pretty ardent M:TG player, and he got me playing during a bye round at last week's tourney. I wanted to see if anyone knows where I might find a decent set list for Return to Ravnica? We're doing a Swiss-style draft for it next Saturday and I'll be participating

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 23 2014 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here: (the brackets screwed up making it a link here, so you have to copy/paste the text in yellow to get the right results) http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=|[%22Return%20to%20Ravnica%22]

Or here: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/search_result.asp?Set_Name=Return%20to%20Ravnica

If you have not played MTG in a long while, enjoy the possible confusion with all of the new shit!

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 23 2014 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've played a couple of games (like, 10) since I got back into it, so I'm pretty familiar with some of the new mechanics like hexproof and such. I stopped playing the last time right after Scars of Mirrodin came out, so it hasn't been ages or anything. I stared in Alpha and stopped after Urza's Legacy the first time, then I picked it back up right before the Eldrazi block. Thanks a lot for the links!

@om*d
PostPosted: Mar 23 2014 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No problem.

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 29 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone have any imput on what to keep an eye out for in a Return to Ravnica draft today?

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 29 2014 02:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Reprinted shock lands are always worth grabbing. I'm surprised you're not getting into Theros draft.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 29 2014 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They were getting rid of old stock during the month of March and so they organized this one. I ended up placing 9/28, so I can't feel too bad, considering I almost made top 8 and haven't really played in any sort of concerted fashion before today. I ended up running B/G with couple of beefy monsters (especially the Ooze spell ones that make tokens; I used the spell similar to Fog that's one green/one colorless and lets you replicate tokens pretty effectively). I don't see myself getting back into the game full-time, but I'm probably at least going to attend the next midnight set release.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 01 2014 01:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

At the very least, you might want to consider working on an EDH/Commander deck.
99 card deck, plus a separate Commander (legendary creature). Your commander dictates what mana symbols you can (and cannot) use in your deck. No duplicates other than basic lands.

You start with 40 life, and your Commander begins in the Commander Zone. Every time it dies or is exiled, you can choose to place it into the Commander Zone, where he then costs an additional 2 to play each time you do so. Even though you start with 40 life, accruing 21 combat damage from any given commander (each is tracked separately) will end your run.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 02 2014 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Question about the RTR draft: Was it 3 packs of RTR, or was it block?

If it was Dragon's Maze/Gatecrash/Return to Ravnica, beforewarned that that is probably one of the most difficult/frustrating draft formats of all-time. Triple RTR is pretty damn fun though.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
aeonic
PostPosted: Apr 08 2014 09:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was three packs of RTR, and I ended up, as I think I said, running B/G. My best pulls were two Abrupt Decays and a foiled Hallowed Fountain. I plan on going to the pre-release event for Journey into Nyx at the end of this month. And Lordsathien, I'm currently honing my R/U EDH Melek deck. I've also shifted to a G/R/W Sliver deck for more casual play.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 09 2014 06:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Is Slivers also an EDH deck? 5 Color Slivers, with Sliver Overlord as a general is a very strong deck. The problem being it pretty much requires duals, shocks, and fetches to work.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
aeonic
PostPosted: Apr 23 2014 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Any ideas on what I should try to do for a Journey into Nyx pre-release as far as deckbuilding stratagems?

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Apr 24 2014 05:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm mainly making my judgment from the promo cards that we can play with. Which leads me to think of going either Blue or Black.

If you're trying to maximize your odds of getting the new gods, two of them are in Black.

aeonic
PostPosted: Apr 24 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blue/Black are my faves, so that works perfectly for me. Found out it's not a draft, but we each get a pre-release kit to build decks from. I usually pull pretty good, so I should be okay. I'm not paying for it anyhow

aeonic
PostPosted: Apr 26 2014 08:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I ended up placing 13th out of 50 players with a green/white deck. I got an Ajani and one of the Temple dual scry land cards (the green/black one). I was 50th on the list to pull the pre-release boxes, so got mostly blue cards, but I didn't run blue because fuck it, nobody's gonna tell me what kind of deck to run, Wizards! I gave the Ajani and the dual scry land to the guy who bought me in, as well as my promo card for the night. Overall, there was a lot of blue/black and green/black on the field.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see a need for a new topic, when this one fits my beef:

When did MTG stop being about having fun, and just about winning? Ever since I moved about a year and a half ago, the only person I play MTG with is a friend at work, when we play on our lunch breaks. We usually go pretty even back and forth on who wins, and both agree that playing decks with some kind of theme is always more fun, than building instant win combo decks.

Another friend called me up and asked if I want to come hang out for the day with his MTG group, so since I haven't played anyone else in ages I was happy to do it.

Ever single round, someone won with a cheese dick combo. Stuffy Doll & Guilty Conscience, Havengul Lich / Heartless Summoning combo, etc.

Is this how people play now? Is it more important to win than anything else? I use to have one infinite combo, (LLanowar Elf/Imperious Perfect/Intruder Alarm) but it just wasn't any fun to play, so I rebuilt the deck with out the infinite combo card.

Anybody else feel this way?
@om*d
PostPosted: Feb 07 2015 01:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That is the reason I don't play much MTG these days. My group was full of assholes who wanted to win every game within the first three turns. I am completely ok with that if we are having a tournament or playing competitively, but for a casual afternoon it just sucks. I find it best to get with a group who sets down rules for what is and isn't alright for casual play. It's no fun when someone is running infinite combos or hitting you with two traumatizes and then a haunting echoes every time you play them.

I also found that just playing EDH(Commander) with a group eliminates most of the cheese, although the rare shithead with a deck full of combos pops up now and then.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Feb 11 2015 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've lost my love for standard and "keeping up" with things. Nowadays I just stick to Commander and attending the occasional prerelease. I do love my combos, but I'm not an ass about it.
* I have a Gisella deck that I usually don't bring out for 2 player EDH because it ends games quickly.
* I also have a Teysa (old Teysa as the commander with newer Teysa as one of my 99) and Tymaret deck. One combo in those decks that few people catch until it's too late is Mindcrank + Bloodchief Ascension. If the Ascension has 3+ counters on it, an opponent will die the moment I destroy something they have, cause them to discard, or just let one of their spells resolve.

My one big gripe is when my roommate (who says he quit playing because the game got too complicated for him) will sit in on games that I play and then calls bullshit when I block with a creature and then sac it to an ability (like Ashnod's Altar or Altar of Dimentia), yelling stuff like "that creature's not in play so the monster isn't blocked.

Reply to topic

Jump to: