[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Nightwish keyboardist to release Scrooge McDuck album

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 07 2014 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

One of the most bizarre stories in the history of heavy metal was actor Christopher Lee, who at age 88 began a heavy metal career with the release of a concept album based on the life and times of Charlemagne.

But here's an even weirder story. Tuomas Holopainen, keyboardist for the symphonic metal band Nightwish, is putting out a concept album based on the life and times of Scrooge McDuck, to be released April 2014. This is the first single. The video features noted Scrooge comic book artist Don Rosa.

This is the most batshit insane idea for a concept album I've ever heard in my entire life. The single is pretty good, and I'm curious to hear the whole album.

The video is actually kind of sad to watch. Don Rosa looks so happy to be drawing, but his story as a comic book artist came to a sad end. He retired in 2006 citing declining eyesight and because comic publisher Egmont was fucking him on royalties. They were making a mint reprinting his classic stories in collections and he was getting none of that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 07 2014 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Don Rosa's career did have a terrible ending, but I've met him several times in the last five years, and he's always very happy and seems to be a genuinely upbeat guy. So don't feel too down about him, he seems to be making the best of things.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 07 2014 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

this is something i can definitely get behind. i love scrooge mcduck and that song wasnt bad. i liked it quite a bit.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 07 2014 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Where have you met Don, LeshLush? Does he do a lot of cons?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Feb 08 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not bad and a very good idea for a concept album. I still say Christopher Lee's heavy metal stuff is by far the stranger of these two.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Feb 08 2014 01:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting. I look forward to its completion.
LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 08 2014 01:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

My dad used to own a comic book store, and he still goes to Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC every year. It often falls around Father's Day, so when I can, I take time off to go with him for at least one day, sometimes for the weekend. Don Rosa is there frequently.
Reply to topic

Jump to: