[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Conker's Bad Fur Day [N64]

Reply to topic
Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 14 2013 09:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Conker's BFD

The guys at Rare have been very, very naughty.

The day after his 21st birthday bash, Conker's sporting the worst hangover ever, and he just can't seem to find his way home. Prepare to stagger through randy, raunchy, raucous scenarios crammed full of bad manners, twisted humor, and graphic bodily functions. Unless you're a fan of violence, foul language, and racy innuendo you'd best steer clear of this one.

� Warped characters . . . Meet slow-witted farm implements, a well-endowed sunflower, and a mysterious beast known only as the Great Mighty Poo.
� Bizarre behaviors . . . Transform into a vampire's guano-dropping lackey, battle a caveman whose bone is worse than his bite, and storm the beach in an amphibious assault on an army of the siniester stuffed bears.
� Frenetic multiplayer modes . . . Team up with friends or go it alone in seven different multiplayer games or five different free-for-all areas.

Got this game today. The character maneuvering unfortunately suffers from the problem of every other 3rd person platformer outside of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine in that nothing you do is fast enough to devour the plentiful space in the game*. It's like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time speed. If the game gave Conker his own fast move to devour space I would have very few complaints. The game doesn't make you fetch tons of doodads and trinkets. The levels open up pretty smoothly but this part I'm at right now is seriously confusing me with the cow's bodily function cutscene not unlocking some element in the level.

The camera makes platforming a bit more challenging than it deserves to be. Sometimes you need really good visual depth perception since the camera isn't close enough. It's okay if you are able to memorize parts of the location that are problematic to view in Conker's visual field. I haven't died from the camera so it's not terrible.

The difficulty is just about right so far. You can't afford to goof around on heights as fall damage at a modest height straight up kills you. (Sidenote: The most fall damage you can take in Super Mario 64 was half your health.) Tail hovering lasts a 2 or 3 seconds and then you plummet unlike Ubisoft's Rayman 2 where hovering is not limited allowing you to slowly descend from heights. The enemies are far more aggressive with attacking and tracking you than in Super Mario 64. There are timed events that require you to act fast or DIE! This made stocking up for lives which are cleverly hidden worth it. However, I've realized that all the lives respawn on the level when you die which mitigates difficulty caused by limited life availability.

The game's cutscenes are very very entertaining. I quite like them. Very raunchy. I knew the game would be pretty damn Mature, but I was still surprised by some of the content. I can understand why the game was toned down for the crappy xbox release. I mean this game is something truly bizarre that it makes you feel like you've snuck something that the government declared illegal for your N64 into your house.

* As in acrobatic maneuvers that boost speed; Not referring to fast running speed ala Spyro or Sonic Adventure titles.

- - - - - -

Check this out. It was added to youtube 3 months ago.
The game director's commentary:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRUl7dkRVPKlYiUq4TmEaQ/videos

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 03:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the concept of the game, but the execution felt sloppy, the controls seemed really fuzzy/slippery/whatever you want to call it, just frustrating control from what I remember.

anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I got this early in the summer and like it a lot. For whatever reason I didn't find the controls too be too awful (probably because I was expecting it to be even worse, as some games controls seemed worse when going back to them than in the past) but there are definitely times where it can feel finicky.

I had played the xbox version in the past, but I too was surprised by some of the things that were said in the cutscenes. I also found the reasoning for the king to go after red squirrels to be amusing. Also like Gregg the Grim Reaper.

From a multi player standpoint, there are a lot more game types than I would have expected, especially from a platforming game.

EDIT: I havn't gotten through the entire game yet though and havn't really done many of the levels with gun play (only used guns in multi-player) so I'm not sure how well that controls.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This game was overhyped and didn't deliver what it promised. A VERY M-rated game for the N64 sounded like a dream come true back in the day. Then two minutes in, you discover that every fucking F-bomb in the game is censored because it was made by effete little British losers, who apparently felt the need to keep some level of decor in their game due to their right proper Anglo-Saxon sensibilities.

"Pip pip cheerio, the Queen Mum wouldn't like to hear the F-bomb! Righto, better censor it before the Beefeaters give us a good rogering."

Kill yourselves, assholes.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 01:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see how censoring "fuck" was a big deal. If anything, those random bleeps were kinda funny. I mean, I could see how "Y THEY CENSORING MY FAVRITE WORD" would be relevant to a 13 year old who relishes in that stuff, but I highly doubt anyone really cared. I'm also sure Nintendo had plenty to do with censoring a lot of stuff.

According to this, they forced them to take out a KKK joke and a joke about Pokemon, so it stands to reason they'd force them to take out "fuck".

"Would i ever have toned down the content of Conker…? Hmm, let me see… Never… Never ever ever… EVER (okay, except for when I had too for ‘legal’ reasons..hrumph!!). The very idea of diluting anything i’ve worked on goes against every thing i learnt working at Rare. Stuff in Bad Fur Day did get censored, whole cutscenes in fact, but on reflection i could see how some people might be offended. Pokemon had to come out, and i was annoyed about that one because it was quite a funny cutscene. Gone forever now. Pretty much 99.9% of the game remained however.

Oh yeah, there was a joke at the expense of the KKK, which had to come out too. Hmm, never did understand why Nintendo were apprehensive about offending a group of curiously dressed racists, odd !! … Anyway, I always considered Conker’s Bad Fur Day less about giving offence, more a morale tale with an important underlying message: ‘If in doubt, stay in bed’. I’m joking by the way, I was trying to offend as many people as possible."

Even if it was Rare themselves that forced the censoring, it's obvious that the main creator didn't want anything censored.

http://gamikia.com/interview-with-chris-seavor-conker/

Bob Dylan`s Blues
Title: Worlds Strongest Man
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 02:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love this game. The controls are wonky, but the humor is great. I love that the visuals and atmosphere is different in each level. The tasks you have to complete are creative and fun. And I think the censorship made it a little funnier.

People who don't like it fail to see that there really is a quality game under all the crudeness.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 15 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will say this. It was an above average game. Loved all the pop culture references.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: Sep 17 2013 01:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe if I was 12 when it came out instead of 20 I would have liked its humor.
anorexorcist
Title: Polar Bear
PostPosted: Sep 17 2013 07:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I feel a like at least a solid number of the jokes would go right over a 12 year olds head.

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 17 2013 09:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I had to look up what to do since at this part on gamefaqs. I'm pretty upset I had to resort to that. Apparently gamers were supposed to:

Quote:
...charge her with the bull while she's shitting and she'll explode. Keep doing this. Each time you have to hit another normal target to get the next cow out. The second cow takes two hits to get her to drink, while the third takes three. Once you've killed three cows total, the bull will break the poo grate and fall into the pit. Hop in there yourself.

Does not make any sense. Total failure right here. I need pooballs so I get the cow to shit in the grate but that's not enough I need to kill the poo-source? I need to kill three cows? What logic is this? I guess everyone is just supposed to figure out that because the cow death gets a small cutscene (that makes it look like you've fucked up since you can't get cow shit if the cow is dead) you're supposed to kill multiple cows? That's so tedious and illogical. And yea, the game resets the cow count if you leave the area too because I've definitely killed more than 6 cows in total at this point. Mad

Docking the game a point for that. Funny enough the person's save file on Game 2 is only one step ahead in progress from mine. I could have just carried on playing his file without feeling like a cheater. Getting pretty pissed I can't sequence break (why let me jump to the top of this poo tower and invisible wall block the b-button context sensitive pad when I jump and hover over to it?).

edit: The only visual indicator I noticed after having the solution knowledge was that the targets jutted out in different places to hit to activate the cow. The cutscenes were all the same...

Vert1
PostPosted: Sep 21 2013 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Multiplayer in this game is ABAP. A-BAP!!

JRA
PostPosted: Oct 20 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Never got to play this. Sad

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Vert1
PostPosted: May 07 2017 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The genre shift put this game into my top 10 games of all time.

Reply to topic

Jump to: