"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Unresolved Simpsons issues

Reply to topic
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ten years ago, the Simpsons went on a trip to Brazil, leaving one continent unvisited by the family: Antarctica. At the end of the first act, Homer explicitly said they'd go there the following year. 2003 came and went without such an event happening. However, tonight's episode saw that issue being resolved, circumstances notwithstanding. It took ten years for something I thought would happen nine years ago to happen.

There are still some issues left unresolved in that show. Here are the ones I can name:

Mr. Krabappel
Lester and Eliza
Bart's operation

Anyone want to discuss these or throw in some others?
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My theory on all three is throwaway joke.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The first one could make an interesting story. The other two, come on, they're just throwaway jokes, like Opti said.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Apr 29 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only way i will accept the ex husband of Edna is if it turns out to be Homer's brother. If only to return Danny DeVito

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 02 2012 03:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They never did a full Behind The Laughter on Huckleberry Hound. THOSE BASTARDS!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: May 05 2012 06:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

The Simpsons Series is incoherent. Deal with it nerd.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: May 15 2012 06:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What about Lisa's bike from the intro sequence? have you EVER seen her ride it in an episode?

Isn't their pink sedan randomly green in some episodes?

Also I'm pretty sure the layout of the house changes from season to season, or episode to episode.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 15 2012 06:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What always kinda bothered my is that Willies brother only shows up in one episode.

it was the best of times

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: May 18 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Like the previous posts have stated most of their jokes are just throwaway so rarely do they mean anything.
In the Spring Break party episode they said they were banned from almost every state, yet we still have episodes where they go out of state.

Blackout wrote:
What about Lisa's bike from the intro sequence? have you EVER seen her ride it in an episode?

Actually yes. The episode where Bart and Lisa found the cave with the Indian stuff. She jumped a ditch in it.
Also I believe there was an episode where Milhouse forgot his bike so Bart let him use Lisa's, and he found it oddly comfortable.
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: May 18 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:
Also I believe there was an episode where Milhouse forgot his bike so Bart let him use Lisa's, and he found it disturbingly comfortable.

Fixed.
Bacon_Motherfucker
PostPosted: May 15 2013 01:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:
Ten years ago, the Simpsons went on a trip to Brazil, leaving one continent unvisited by the family: Antarctica. At the end of the first act, Homer explicitly said they'd go there the following year. 2003 came and went without such an event happening. However, tonight's episode saw that issue being resolved, circumstances notwithstanding. It took ten years for something I thought would happen nine years ago to happen.

There are still some issues left unresolved in that show. Here are the ones I can name:

Mr. Krabappel
Lester and Eliza
Bart's operation

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: May 15 2013 02:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

A recent episode brought back Bleeding Gums Murphy. Knowing how The Simpsons will fuck around with its own continuity, I really lost my shit until they turned it into a weak B plot about holograms of performers.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 15 2013 03:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

the robot chicken couch scene was great though

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

utahpunk
Title: Sir!
PostPosted: May 15 2013 05:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
the robot chicken couch scene was great though

They also used the services of John Kricfalusi (creator of Ren & Stimpy) to animate their couch gag.

......I'm not even supposed to be here today!

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: May 18 2013 02:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Bacon_Motherfucker wrote:
jprime wrote:

Mr. Krabappel
Lester and Eliza
Bart's operation

Good.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

JohnnyBenz
Title: The nip killer
PostPosted: May 20 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Burn! INCINERATION!
Blackout
PostPosted: May 30 2013 02:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever I watch "new" Simpsons I get the feeling whoever is writing it now has never watched the show, and instead they have a production bible of Simpson style jokes and scenarios, that was written by someone who also never saw the show.

I mean I recognize the characters, and the setting, but other than that it feels like a completely different show, also it's not hilarious anymore, more like sort of funny, only sometimes, when they get lucky. Most of it feels forced in my opinion.

I like the Cleveland Show better than the latest incarnation of The Simpsons, and that's just a weird feeling.

i'll_bite_your_ear
PostPosted: May 30 2013 08:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
Whenever I watch "new" Simpsons I get the feeling whoever is writing it now has never watched the show, and instead they have a production bible of Simpson style jokes and scenarios, that was written by someone who also never saw the show.

I mean I recognize the characters, and the setting, but other than that it feels like a completely different show, also it's not hilarious anymore, more like sort of funny, only sometimes, when they get lucky. Most of it feels forced in my opinion.

I like the Cleveland Show better than the latest incarnation of The Simpsons, and that's just a weird feeling.

Well said. I totally agree.

The new episodes really seem like a different show. A cheaper version with flat jokes.
I wonder if John Schwartzwelder is still writing. His episodes were pure genius back than.

it was the best of times

SSNintendo
Title: Likes to Blow Sh*t Up
PostPosted: Jun 02 2013 04:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember an episode a few years ago showing that Homer and Marge met at a camp as kids. Sorry, but the high school scenario was much better.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Jun 02 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I stopped watching the show after season six. I heard it started to go downhill and I didn't want to be disappointed in one of my alltime favorite shows. So now I just watch the oldies.
Blackout
PostPosted: Jun 07 2013 01:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

SSNintendo wrote:
I remember an episode a few years ago showing that Homer and Marge met at a camp as kids. Sorry, but the high school scenario was much better.
Yeah it wasn't very good. The one where they a young couple in the "grunge" 90's was pretty terrible too. Rolling Eyes

JohnnyBenz wrote:
I stopped watching the show after season six. I heard it started to go downhill and I didn't want to be disappointed in one of my alltime favorite shows. So now I just watch the oldies.

Everyone has different opinions, but to me I think that the real golden age is Seasons 3 through 8 maybe? Season 1 and 2 are good, but it's still kind of finding itself. Everything past season 8 starts to slide, and I think I noticed a real drop in quality starting with either season 10 or 11.

(It's been a while since I've dragged all my boxsets out to do a back to back Simpson's marathon so I'm going off hazy memory here.)

Every season past 10 I bought was just really MEH, I stopped collected at 13 I think. But I randomly picked up season 20 since they decided to release it out of rotation, so I have that too. It sucks.

The little completionist monster that lives in the lower center of my gotta catch em all gland keeps telling me to buy all the boxsets so I have a complete set, but I really don't want to drop the cash on stuff I won't be watching more than once.

Anyone with more experience when it comes to "new" Simpsons have an opinion on seasons 13 through 19? I've got 20, and have seen bit and pieces of seasons 21 through 24, and what I've seen just hasn't spoken to me like the "classics" do...

(Season 24, WTF? Weren't they gonna throw in the towel at 20 seasons?)

Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 07 2013 01:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You got it pretty much right there Blackout, to me. In my opinion, 1-8 are the best, and the only ones I own on dvd. 1-2 was the feeling out stage, but S2 is much better than most people give it credit for. 7-8 were mostly good, but were the first time a few stinkers crept in. Seasons 9 & 10 still had some good episodes, but for the first time, the bad ones outnumbered the good ones. After that, there's still one or two eps per year that are good, but the rest are crap. The only good ep past S10 that I even remember is Moe Baby Blues.

I tried to continue watching, endeavoring to stay till the end, but I couldn't take it anymore around S15 or 16 or so. I had a big battle with the completist in me as well, but thankfully I won. I was tempted to buy seasons 9 & 10, but I kept reminding myself that the Principal & the Pauper was part of S9 and I never want to own that one. I'm happy in my mind with the show ending at the conclusion of S8 with Bart & Lisa graduating military school.
Blackout
PostPosted: Jun 09 2013 01:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking about this, and I think what is wrong is that's not just the lack of hilarity.

Yeah it's still funny sometimes, maybe not as much, but you know what's missing? The soul. It used to be touching and heartwarming AND funny, I haven't seen a heartwarming episode in ages. That's special, when fiction tugs at your heart strings, not always a lot of that going around.

JohnnyBenz
PostPosted: Jun 09 2013 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Season 2 is actually one of my favorites. I remember the Treehouse of Horror episode from tthat season scaring the living hell out of me when I was a kid. Anyone know if there is a compilation dvd with the Treehouse of Horror episodes? I would love to have all of those!
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 10 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think Lisa's Substitute is in S2, and that one's just great & heartwarming.

I think there's a compilation Johnny, but it might include some of the later Treehouses from when they ran out of ideas or Twilight Zone eps to copy. A search on amazon.com should tell ya more.
Reply to topic

Jump to: