SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
John K's "Cans without Labels"

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't sure to put it here or in Internet.

Anyway John K. best known as the creator of "Ren and Stimpy" wants to create a new cartoon called "Cans without Labels". It's based on his experience as a kid and will star George Liquor AMERICAN.

He's created a Kickstarter project or whatever for it. I pledged $5 because i love John Ks work. His drawing style is so fucking hilarious and there aren't too many cartoons made in his style anymore so it could be cool.

Here's the video. Links to the Kickstarter on the youtube page.
AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When did John K. started looking like Donald Trump?

Other than that, this looks interesting and I bid him good luck.
Mondegreen
Title: The Guy
PostPosted: Aug 11 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to see John K.'s finally doing something again. I don't know why but I've always enjoyed stories centered around dysfunctional families.
This is gonna be good Very Happy

"'scuse me while I kiss the sky."
-Purple Haze

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Aug 16 2012 02:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I gladly helped fund this. John K is crazy and crazy people make fun stuff.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Aug 16 2012 03:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While I hate John K's attitude, and especially that Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Whatever he dida few years ago, I do admit he's one of the best cartoonists/animators of all time. Rend and Stimpy really broke the mold, and is occasionally still funny today. However, I never really liked anything else he did. I'd like to see some more hand-drawn Western cartoons these days, but I probably won't watch whatever yelling, vein-popping, coprophiliac masterpiece he releases.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 17 2012 06:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno. I don't really like John K. In particular, I really cannot stand the "gross-up close-up" shots that seem to be a cornerstone John K's rather vague and off-the-mark idea of what constitutes funny.

While I don't like John K's work, I do admire his knowledge of and respect for animation history. I just don't understand how a guy who's obsessed with Bob Clampett and Tex Avery failed to make a single cartoon in his prime that will be regarded even half as fondly as any of Avery or Clampett's best work.

Oh wait, I understand exactly how it happened: he met Ralph Bakshi.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 20 2012 05:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Original Ren & Stimpy is classic, albeit gross and highly disturbing at times.

I'm not a fan of Adult version of Ren & Stimpy though, he cranked the weird up way too far, watching it always made me feel like I was on some kind of werid drugs.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Aug 20 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure John K himself wasn't too fond of the show.

I have seen the adult party dvd. Some of the episodes were ideas from the early 90s while some where influenced by things later on. Like one of the episodes was influenced strongly by the Three Stooges.

There was pressure from Spike to make a show with adult themes like South Park. Hence why the adult version is completely different and more crude.

I have a lot of admiration for the guy and he was also one of the first people to use flash to make animation - back in the 90s the program wasn't like how it was now so in that respect he is basically the father of internet animation.

Quote:
The first prominent use of the Flash animation format was by Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi. On October 15, 1997, he launched The Goddamn George Liquor Program, the first cartoon series produced specifically for the Internet.[1] The series starred George Liquor (a fictional character rumored to have ended Kricfalusi's employment on Ren & Stimpy) and his dim-witted nephew Jimmy The Hapless Idiot Boy. Later, Kricfalusi produced more animated projects with Flash including several online shorts for Icebox.com, television commercials, and a music video. Soon after that, web cartoons began appearing on the internet with much more regularity.

Also in terms of his style, every facial expression is different. He would tell the animators in Spumco not to draw one they had drawn before.

Ren and Stimpy is just a really well made show and kudos to John K that is why i decided to give some money to Cans without Labels.

EDIT: He also made some of the funniest characters ever, next to Ren that is George Liquor: AMERICAN.

Quote:
Kricfalusi described George Liquor as "the greatest American" [1] who is so conservative "that he thinks the Republicans are Commies".[6] George harbors a deep antipathy for the political left; in one issue of Spümcø's Comic Book, George Liquor becomes enraged after a fish calls him a Democrat.[7] According to Kricfalusi's "George Liquor Story Bible," George is a middle-aged, crass, religious, ultra-patriotic American who favors his nephew, Jimmy The Idiot Boy,[1] and tries to teach Jimmy how to be "a Real Man".[8]

I am in hysterics just reading that.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 20 2012 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Blackout wrote:
I'm not a fan of Adult version of Ren & Stimpy though, he cranked the weird up way too far, watching it always made me feel like I was on some kind of werid drugs.

I feel like Ren & Stimpy's Adult Party, particularly the early episodes, were just a giant middle finger at Nickelodeon. It was like, just try and sell your Ren & Stimpy DVDs now, bitches, because I just made these characters unmarketable.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Aug 21 2012 05:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Eh I bought em, there's good stuff in there, except for the really werid crap that Games Animation put out in the later seasons. Ever seen Sammy and Me, or A Scooter For Christmas, or Reverend Jack Cheese? Just bizarre stuff, even for Ren & Stimpy.

One thing that Games did that I actually liked was that crusty old crazy guy character Wilbur Cobb. I guess John K doesn't like that character from the commentary I've heard on the DVDs, he wanted to do some sort of a tribute to Bashki but they made up Cobb's character in the Stimpy's cartoon episode when they kicked him off production instead of using Bashki.

Favorite Wilbur Cobb quote: No no, it was me! I killed the dinosaurs! ME I did it HA HA HA, with my bare hands, the mighty Cobbersaurus! I ran them over with my truck!

That cracks me up every time for some reason.

Reply to topic

Jump to: