"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Obscure RPG Recommendations Thread

Reply to topic
Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 02:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

An adoration to Heru-Ra-Ha, in the hope that this becomes an "official" type deal.

Now that's out of the way, here's my intended purpose for this thread. The title is self-explanatory, but here's some specifics.

If anyone has any old, really obscure or out-of-print RPGs they enjoy, recommend them here. Obviously, D&D, Pathfinder and GURPS are fairly well known.

The first one (and the reason I created this thread) is Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. Obviously the setting is loosely based on the Jim Jarmusch film starring Forest Whitaker - an excellent movie, but that's beside the point - and as such came out in 2000. Haven't got around to playing it yet, but it's very deep in terms of character options, abilities, etc. If you played it based around the movie, it's basically Tokugawa-era Samurai crossed with modern day Italian-American Mafia, although you can obviously customize it to your liking.

Despite being over eleven years old, I was able to get a new copy off of Amazon for less than $10 USD. There's one page in the back with a character sheet, but I'd obviously recommend printing it from a PDF, which can be found online.

BlazingGlory
Title: KANE LIVES IN DEATH!
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 04:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, two slightly less well known games that I've either run or been a part of that were rather fun was Fading Suns and Rogue Trader.

Fading Suns can be seen sort of as a less grimdark Warhammer 40k meets Call of Cthulhu. Essentially, it's fantasy kitchen sink/Space Opera setting that uses a blackjack style rolling system to determine success. It has one of the most flushed out martial arts combat section I have ever seen in a game like this, even more so considering that the technology get to psychic weaponry. I'd give it a look through, especially since a new edition is supposed to be on the horizion.

If you're familiar with Dark Heresy, you probably have heard of Rogue Trader, or at the very least, you know the setting. Instead of being Acolytes doing the dirty work for your Inquisitor, you and your buddies/future victims/backstabbers are merchants trying to make a fortune. This one is definitely more of a player vs player sort of game, but it ends up being a ton of fun, most of the time.

Of course, I'll throw in a few setting that everyone should at least take a look at; Deadlands and Weird Wars, which, if memory serves right, have materials for D20, Savage Worlds, and Gurps. Take a look at these if you want to run some sort of alternate history game.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Aug 05 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reminded of Big Eyes, Small Mouth and the Tri-Stat System. I even used to have Guardians of Order's BESM book for Sailor Moon (it even had episode summaries up to Super S).

I recently downloaded a massive collection of gamebooks and it included stuff like Arduin, Champions, Palladium (including the TMNT stuff), Call of Cthulu, Shadowrun, Warhammer, and a book to itself for gaming in the universe of Bubblegum Crisis. There's also Traveler and Serenity had its own book.

Despite pouring over my clanbooks and the source material, I never played more than one session's worth of Vampire: the Masquerade.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 01:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
I'm reminded of Big Eyes, Small Mouth and the Tri-Stat System. I even used to have Guardians of Order's BESM book for Sailor Moon (it even had episode summaries up to Super S).

Indeed, Ghost Dog runs on the Tri-Stat System. The main advantage I've seen from reading through it is that it uses two six-sided dice rather than needing polys. Shame that Guardians of Order (the publisher) went under.

Also, has anyone ever played the New World of Darkness RPG Mage? (At least I think that's what it's called.)

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 06 2012 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TMNT and Other Strangeness is a fantastically fun game, if you can look past the "Palladium" think. I think "After the Bomb" uses the same or similar rules.

Feng Shui is perhaps the most "awesome" RPG ever made. It's based upon action movies (specifically Honk Kong films), and is very action driven and rewards creativity.
Reply to topic

Jump to: