"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The site's font

Reply to topic
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Jul 11 2012 03:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you like Comic Sans so much, how come the New Topic/Post Reply/etc. buttons in the forum aren't typeset in Comic Sans?

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 11 2012 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The buttons came with the software and it wasn't worth my effort to redo them.

#EDIT: GPF, I do not want them redone. Please don't give them a surprise makeover.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 12 2012 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd, I hear you loud and clear... but this gives me a mischievous idea.

I promise whatever I am thinking of will not piss you off... though I don't know how Klimbatize will feel about it.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 12 2012 08:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

I promise whatever I am thinking of will not piss you off... though I don't know how Klimbatize will feel about it.

I am unpissoffable to your wiles.

Happy Birthday, btw.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Mr. Satire
Title: No title necessary.
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 07:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would like this site to do that thingy where the proper font for the site is downloaded so that I can still view the site in it's intended font even if I don't have said font installed, because I am sick of seeing the site font replaced with Times New Roman or some variant of that when I browse on my iPhone or iPad.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Satire wrote:
I would like this site to do that thingy where the proper font for the site is downloaded so that I can still view the site in it's intended font even if I don't have said font installed, because I am sick of seeing the site font replaced with Times New Roman or some variant of that when I browse on my iPhone or iPad.

Comic Sans MS cannot be distributed for legal reasons.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, Times New Roman is just hideous. Who ever heard of using such a font? It's sickening to look at. We should not be forced to be subjected to such torture when we check out the site on our phones. Can't someone save us from this oppression?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Mr. Satire
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 02:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Mr. Satire wrote:

I'm pretty sure just having the font on the web server, just for the single purpose of applying the font on a page, rather than distributing it (you could set the HTTP server software to disallow downloading of the file directly) might be fine. There might even be a Comic Sans lookalike that isn't held under a restrictive licence that you could have served on a per-user-agent basis.

Failing that, you could adjust the CSS style sheet in a manner which will make the browser fall back to a better font. I'm not an CSS expert, but I am sure it can be done.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 03:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Yes, Times New Roman is just hideous. Who ever heard of using such a font? It's sickening to look at. We should not be forced to be subjected to such torture when we check out the site on our phones. Can't someone save us from this oppression?

you just dont get it.... apple fans are people too

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've checked this site on my iPhone and it looks perfectly fine. Times New Roman is a very standard font.

Does it hurt your eyes or something, Satire? Help me understand the complaint.

Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 04:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While we're making ridiculous requests, I would like my username to be displayed in Papyrus
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I, for one, would like to be reading the site in a Wingdings font.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jul 13 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Egyptian Heiroglyphs would look great on this site.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 14 2012 08:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Satire wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
Mr. Satire wrote:

I'm pretty sure just having the font on the web server, just for the single purpose of applying the font on a page, rather than distributing it (you could set the HTTP server software to disallow downloading of the file directly) might be fine. There might even be a Comic Sans lookalike that isn't held under a restrictive licence that you could have served on a per-user-agent basis.

Failing that, you could adjust the CSS style sheet in a manner which will make the browser fall back to a better font. I'm not an CSS expert, but I am sure it can be done.

You are incorrect.

The font must be licensed.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1535
http://www.ascendercorp.com/font/comic-sans/

As for a similar font, I don't know much, but I would bet that Syd would never go for that.

Lastly, yes, cascading font choices are within the capabilities of web design. If Syd wants to choose the list, I can make it happen, but I am not making the choice of which fonts go in which order.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 14 2012 09:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Does Apple have a comparable font to Comic Sans?

If not, can we make Apple users see the site in Espy Sans?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 14 2012 03:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Technically, Times New Roman (or any font that has "feet" on each letter) is visually more tiring to read. I'm not making that shit up.

Also, I can check this site on my DSi and it looks normal.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jul 15 2012 02:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

What's with all the hate on Times New Roman? I mean yeah, it's not the most visually astounding font on the planet, but it's a very neutral font. I don't see how it's hate-able. Then again, I'm probably used to it because every paper I've ever written in the past six years has been in Times New Roman, but still.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 15 2012 08:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Technically, Times New Roman (or any font that has "feet" on each letter) is visually more tiring to read. I'm not making that shit up.

Also, I can check this site on my DSi and it looks normal.

They are called serifs, not feet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif

When a font does not have the extra serif, it is called "sans serif"

Serif fonts are easier for reading large amounts of printed text. The serif acts a visual guide for the eye/brain to help with the horizontal flow of text. Large bodies of text benefit from serif fonts. That is why MS Word defaults to serif based fonts such as Times New Roman or Cambria.

Sans Serif fonts are great for printed headlines where there isn't a lot of eye movement required.

Here is the trick though. Computer screens aren't paper. Interlacing and low pixel density on the screens used to cause problems, so serif fonts didn't work well. That is the reason why Microsoft uses Cambria now. It is a serif font that was specifically designed for onscreen usage.

Over time my guess is that serif fonts will return to the screen as pixel density increases and technical limitations are removed. Thank Apple for making such a big deal about the 'retina display'.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 15 2012 01:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you learn something new everyday.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Mr. Satire
PostPosted: Jul 16 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Does Apple have a comparable font to Comic Sans?

If not, can we make Apple users see the site in Espy Sans?

I'm pretty sure the only font even remotely similar to Comic Sans that is on iOS is Marker Felt, which looks like this.

If that doesn't seem like a good fallback font, then I would suggest using something like Helvetica, which is far from Comic Sans, but is at least better than Times New Roman.
Leopard
PostPosted: Jul 15 2020 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I see no problem with the font, legitimately. When it is used it does not bother me in the least. Why all harbor so much animosity towards that font. Also, I've seen the Vsauce connection before you post it. It explained somewhat, but it really focused on someone who already hated Comic Sans, and gave little explanation as to why. Michael said in the video that it's "ugly" What makes a font ugly compared with another font?

Everyone can find thousands of free and fancy fonts at fontvilla.com

Cameron
PostPosted: Jul 20 2020 03:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

My fingers have remained crossed for the past eight years that we will have a Sydlexia Wingdings Day.

DarknessDeku
Title: Deku Scrub
PostPosted: Jul 21 2020 01:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
My fingers have remained crossed for the past eight years that we will have a Sydlexia Wingdings Day.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
DarknessDeku is already assimilated by the bots.
He knows your algorithm.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Jul 28 2020 08:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:

I wonder what this was all about anyway...

Reply to topic

Jump to: