SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Feedback for my blog

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 14 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

His monotone voice irks me. You can be the best and most intelligent game reviewer out there, but if you are also featured on TV and are not personable AND have a terrible voice to listen to then go away.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 04 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

so, now that south park has a new season coming up, will you start blogging again? and see if they rip off your blogs again?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 06 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

About your new blog entry, and the straight edge movement in general, I completely agree. I never for the life of me understood why a person can't just stop doing drugs and alcohol without insisting on a pat on the back from all of his peers about it. This happens way more than most people realize and it's honestly hilarious. It lets you immediately know that the person in question isn't very strong willed, and insists on validation from his friends and family to do the right thing, not that he should just stop being a drug addict/alcoholic on his own, quietly and without being an asshole about it.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jul 06 2012 01:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 06 2012 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bah, I've never drank alcohol, used drugs, or any of that stuff. Where's my fucking medal?
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 07 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Neither have I, and it's pretty boring. Almost like "what's the point?"

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 07 2012 01:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Neither have I, and it's pretty boring. Almost like "what's the point?"

Is "it" life?

Jesus Christ, don't do it, Drew!

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jul 07 2012 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice article, Jeebus. This has been something bothering me for a long time. When people who fuck up every chance they get and for once in their lives do something not shitty, people call them heroes. More times than not, they fail at not fucking up and do it all over again. I don't believe in being supportive to help people in most cases. You make them feel good, they get comfortable, and they go back to being shit heads. I'm all about chastising someone until they fall in line. I think if you make an announcement and cram it down people's throats, we have the right to ridicule you to near suicide when you publicly fail. It's the only way to help people.

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jul 07 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's basically two ways that I can see the whole "re-tweet my straight edge message" situation playing out.

One is, as you have said, an example of someone trying to get attention. I agree that in most cases, this is pretty narcissistic and defeats any redeeming purpose. As such, the individual's motivation would primarily be to receive praise.

However, I have heard frequently that if you are trying to kick some bad habit or reach some goal, you are more likely to succeed if you share it with people you know. This creates a support group of sorts that you do not want to let down - partly for fear of embarrassment, but perhaps mostly because there is something that must be altered for a positive outcome.

I don't follow the Magic world at all; I'm not sure who the individual is, or whether or not their motivation lies in cashing in on some praise or to genuinely become straight edge. I generally agree that the use of Twitter to broadcast this message, as well as requesting people to re-tweet the message, seems to go a bit far for little impact. As such, the situation at hand does appear to be quite praise-oriented - and praise alone doesn't frequently solve problems.

Still, if someone you know very well mentions to you that they're trying to reform in some way - for example, quitting smoking or such - you should support that person because you have effectively become part of that role. I guess you don't have to necessarily praise them if the change hasn't occurred yet, but a little positiveness never killed anyone either.
Reply to topic

Jump to: