[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Obnoxious Fucking IRC Clique - Some Serious Feedback

Reply to topic
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There has always been a sticky in General that told people about the IRC channel for this site. I just noticed it has been removed, and I'm guessing very recently. What happened to it? It hasn't even been de-stickied...it's just KGB'ed.

I hate to be paranoid, but has this been removed to start killing off "The Obnoxious Fucking IRC Clique"? That's the label Syd gave, via Twitter, for the people who are fans of his site, the articles, and who enjoy frequenting the forums and discussing what happens on them---and who also just happen to want to talk about these things in real-time in a chatroom.

If that's the reason, that's pretty dumb and childish. We are not a clique. There is no Forum vs. IRC. I always thought people realized that was a joke, but now the two main mods of this site feel there is some sort of divide between the two "groups". If there is, it's completely in their paranoid minds.

I enjoy the site, I enjoy talking in real-time with people who have common interests---people who were brought together by this site. I don't see why this would be deemed as a "clique" or a bad thing. If the administrator of this site honestly thinks it is, he needs to reassess why he even has this site. Maybe it's time to let it go.

So my feedback would be to calm down, think through some decisions, and realize that nobody is against the forums or its moderators. That is absolute absurdity. Are there disagreements? Yes. But these disagreements can be handled on an adult level.

I don't see the benefit of continuing to choke the life out of a major part of what keeps this forum active. If you just want the site to die, sack up and end it already.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 06:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd ain't got the balls to end the site. Isn't that right, Syd?

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 06:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can wholeheartedly agree with Klimbatize. Maybe I've indirectly contributed to all this, and I rarely post here and am much more active. If the mods here have problems with how the IRC is being run, it's their responsibility to actually /be/ a part of the IRC. Or cut it off. But Like Klimb said, it's a pretty significant part of this community.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 08:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If I removed the sticky, it wasn't on purpose. I probably did it while mass removing the dumb polls or the FB stuff once it was decided to restart it. If it's in the mod forum, I can and will easily bring it back.

As for being pissed at the "obnoxious fucking IRC clique", I don't feel I need to apologize. Do you know why the forum battle needed to be restarted? Because Team IRC was all hurrrr durrrrr we need a 20 man team. That was the final straw. That was a stupid idea, and you guys knew it was stupid. And you pushed for it until you got your way. You guys intentionally ruined something just to prove you could. And that's why I was so pissed this morning. What you guys did was obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious, and it was unjustifiable. And it was infuriating. I am a very idiosyncratic person, and that touched a nerve.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think our awfulness is being really overstated. You ignore how we also did everything we could to make sure we lost the first round, and how we only used people who weren't otherwise participating. We were doing something stupid because we thought it would be funny, sure, but I think we actually did quite a bit to make sure that we played with the Forum Battle in a way that would /not/ ruin it.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, Syd. Then again, I think you may be missing the overall picture. We were fucking around some, but we also brought a whole bunch of people that weren't participating otherwise. I'm guessing you can see who voted what on polls, and know that many of the mega-team voted against themselves.

[sidebar]
If you aren't even participating in (whatever), how about you keep your fucking nose out of it. Even if you are participating, it isn't the end of the world if things aren't exactly the way you want them.

Edit: Fucking figures you'd respond, Fig. Eh, it happens.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually can't see who voted in polls. It's actually been a problem as we've had suspiciously high vote counts before.

But I mean, there were five teams, guys. Five. And one of them had more members than the other 4 combined. It was depressing as hell to look at.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, but it takes one look at the vote results of that round, the only round going. Hell, I'm betting we wouldn't have had as many votes as total team members in that poll.

Also, how much worse is your scenario than 4 teams of 3? That is a completely reasonable estimate if the giant team was veto'd. Regardless, I think we've learned a lesson from the experience, and some of us have had some fun while doing it.

Captain_Pollution
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The low participation is a problem, but it isn't one we started. If our team hadn't've existed, then instead of the ten other people participating, you'd've had eleven. We only used people who weren't playing.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is it completely in my paranoid mind that when I went into the IRC last night for the first time in years to ask about the 20 man team that I was met with total hostility for no rational reason? You want to handle things like adults? Part of that is being able to get over whatever the fuck happened so long ago to piss you off. It's not like I traveled the country systematically murdering your parents and stealing your inheritance or, you know, anything that actually matters. If you want to hold grudges that's fine, but don't think you still have the right to tell someone else to handle a situation like an adult.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure it started ahead of schedule because IRC people asked for it to start ahead of schedule.
Captain_Pollution
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 09:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew was still accepting new people until the original deadline, though.

edit: And also, come to think, it started at all because IRC people were saying it should happen. I wasn't there that night, but my understanding is that if people from IRC hadn't been telling Drew to start it, we wouldn't have had a Forum Battle at all. We weren't just being destructive with the idea, even if you think that our team was being destructive.

The IRC isn't just a homogeneous blob, either. The giant team thing was /my/ idea, and it was just IRC people rallying behind it because I'm an IRC person, so that's who I was talking to about it. A bunch of people in IRC heard about the idea and didn't choose to participate, so I'd prefer a distinction were made: this wasn't an IRC thing, it was a FigNewton and some of FigNewton's friends thing. No reason to drag other people into it. If we're considering IRC people as a whole, then I'd point out that I'm pretty sure Drew qualifies as an IRC person, in most people's minds. He definitely does in mine, at least.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jun 21 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jeebus, you do realize that we're all different people, right? Klim wasn't there last night, he wasn't among the folks who met you with hostility. Like Fig said, stop lumping everyone in the IRC together as one single blob. As for why you were met with hostility, that mostly has to do with the fact that all the years we've known you, you've been a complete douche and treated pretty much everyone like shit at least 80% of the time, so your reputation precedes you, as it were. You can't be a total jackass for years on end and expect people to treat you with respect.

Not expecting overly much from the forum battle restart, to be honest, the site population is still miserably low. Folks not fucking around with the battle isn't gonna make people come out of the woodwork and join. It'll still be a farce, just a slo-mo train wreck instead of a quick punchline.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
I enjoy the site, I enjoy talking in real-time with people who have common interests---people who were brought together by this site. I don't see why this would be deemed as a "clique" or a bad thing.

This, essentially. I didn't even know the people who frequent the IRC were even considered a "clique" until I noticed Syd's tweet about it.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 05:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

i had no idea this was a huge thing.

wow.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 08:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Me either. You make one offhanded remark...
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 08:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't interested in joining the forum battle in the first place, and this whole thing has just blown up to retardation. I think everyone just needs to chill out and stop being dicks and passive aggressive to each other.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was forced to watch General Hospital and All My Children between the ages of birth and 4, so unfortunately, passive aggressive is what I do best because it's what I learned first.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

And let me say this:

You are all valued members of this community. I do not value those of you who are more active on IRC than the forums any more or any less. I have no problems with the existence of the IRC channel. I am honored that I was able to create a place that brought you all together and that you like each other much that you interact on a daily basis in real-time.

Any tension that has arisen between IRC and here, has come from a sense (whether real or imagined) that IRC community at times has seemed to consider itself more valuable than other members of the community and its opinions more valid.
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Rabble rabble rabble!" Slobberknocker!

Syd Lexia wrote:
I was forced to watch General Hospital and All My Children between the ages of birth and 4, so unfortunately, passive aggressive is what I do best because it's what I learned first.

Oh man, I was forced to watch All My Children as a kid too. Ugh, I wish I could erase that from my memory. No... just no.
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

Oh man, I was forced to watch All My Children as a kid too. Ugh, I wish I could erase that from my memory. No... just no.

Add me to the list of children forced to watch those shows.

Maybe we should form a support group.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
I wasn't interested in joining the forum battle in the first place, and this whole thing has just blown up to retardation. I think everyone just needs to chill out and stop being dicks and passive aggressive to each other.

That's how I feel about this whole situation. And it's my fault that this all happened, so you can imagine how badly I feel about it all.

It seems like the issue has mostly blown over, so I'm glad that we were able to pull that off. I could NOT have done it without help from both the IRC and from Syd himself. That having been said, can we at least agree to disagree for the remainder of the Forum Battle (longer, if possible)?

Like I said, all of this happened because I was too accommodating with everyone and took them too seriously. Now that I've learned, maybe I won't yield such catastrophic results this time.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Jun 22 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think the tension here has ceased, and I would like to add my 2¢:

I certainly don't think the forumers who frequent the IRC view themselves as elitists. The IRC is rather easy to join and is advertised on numerous forumer signatures. Talking to people in real-time can lead to discussions that may not otherwise work on a forum post-by-post basis, so there are definitely strong friendships that come out of the IRC that are subsequently noticeable in the forums. So, the use of the word "clique" may not have been the best choice because of its negative connotations. Ultimately, though, in my experience the IRC complements the forums as opposed to detracting from them.
JoshWoodzy wrote:
I think everyone just needs to chill out and stop being dicks and passive aggressive to each other.

Indeed. Everyone should wait for the battle to get organized and underway. Then the dickishness and aggressiveness - whether flavored as passive, friendly or straight-up ornery - may commence.
Syd Lexia wrote:
And let me say this:

You are all valued members of this community.

Reply to topic

Jump to: