"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Avengers

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: May 14 2012 05:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
yeah... most of them were good. this whole claim of them being shitty is just another one of your dumbass opinions

Yeah, there are at least 3 or 4 awful Marvel movies, I assumed he was talking about the famously shitty ones.

If we're talking about just movies made by Marvel, it narrows it down, but if we're talking movies based on Marvel properties, it widens the gap a bit.

Howard the Duck is famously awful
Fantastic Four and it's sequel are arguably not good
Ghost Rider and it's sequels are arguably not good

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 14 2012 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify, the films I'm talking about include Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor. All of those being the most recent installments in the character's cinematic history, in case anyone wanted to nit-pick.

But yes, The Avengers beat out all four of those combined by 150%.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: May 15 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

What about The Incredible Hulk?
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 15 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

jprime wrote:

I'm guessing no one gives a shit about the Hulk before the Avengers movie, because I've seen close to nothing. Besides, it came out a relatively long while ago as compared to the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (with the exception of Iron Man uno).

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

i'll_bite_your_ear
Title: Distillatoria
PostPosted: May 15 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

The second Hulk movie was actually pretty decent. The first one wasn't that good though, but i don't remember it being awful or anything. Just lame.

it was the best of times
it was the blurst of times

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 15 2012 04:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'll_bite_your_ear wrote:
The second Hulk movie was actually pretty decent. The first one wasn't that good though, but i don't remember it being awful or anything. Just lame.

the first incredible hulk was directed well, but the story was just stupid.

the second incredible hulk was a lot better and more fun.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 15 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
To clarify, the films I'm talking about include Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor. All of those being the most recent installments in the character's cinematic history, in case anyone wanted to nit-pick.

But yes, The Avengers beat out all four of those combined by 150%.

jprime wrote:

Drew Linky wrote:
I'm guessing no one gives a shit about the Hulk before the Avengers movie, because I've seen close to nothing. Besides, it came out a relatively long while ago as compared to the other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (with the exception of Iron Man uno).

Why would you include Iron Man in that arbitrary group of movies, but not The Incredible Hulk? Iron Man came out before The Incredible Hulk. The facts are all kinds of fucked up in this conversation.
Drew Linky wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:
Its opening weekend revenue beat every other Marvel movie's total box office revenue.

In fact, it beat them combined by about 150%. It's crazy.

Avengers did NOT beat all of the other Marvel films combined in its opening weekend. The first Iron Man made $582 million worldwide, and Iron Man 2 made $623 million worldwide. That's $1.2 billion total between those two movies alone. The Avengers made $850 million in 10 days.

Ross said that The Avengers opening weekend beat every other Marvel movie's total box office when placed head to head, not combined.
jprime wrote:
Not really, considering some of them were shitty and therefore didn't do well at all.

jprime wrote:
Ang Lee's Hulk, Daredevil and Elektra. I thought that was obvious, unless I didn't realize you were only talking about the five leading up to this one.

Let's see...Ang Lee's Hulk made $245 million worldwide...did well.

Daredevil made $182 million worldwide...did well.

Those don't count DVD and TV rights, which adds tens of millions to the profit of both movies.

The last page of this thread has been hilariously awful. Enough, both of you. Maybe we should go back to the original topic--The Avengers.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
PostPosted: May 15 2012 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no fuck that. lets just keep making up random facts and blowing them out of proportion.

Klimbatize wrote:

Cattivo
PostPosted: May 15 2012 04:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But this way is so much more entertaining!

Slobberknocker!
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: May 15 2012 04:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Look, I didn't mean to derail this thread. I just thought that those movies tanked because of their bad rap.
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: May 15 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but you are posting that from something that is a beacon of information

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 16 2012 01:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's my fault, I should have been more clear; the opening box office for the Avengers hasn't beaten out the other's total box office revenues, it beat their opening weekend box offices combined.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 16 2012 02:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
That's my fault, I should have been more clear; the opening box office for the Avengers hasn't beaten out the other's total box office revenues, it beat their opening weekend box offices combined.

Are you absolutel[NES:ebdadc64c8]y sure? Tha[/NES:ebdadc64c8]t's like ten movies right there.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 16 2012 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:

Go do some research.

http://www.the-numbers.com/

Look, I loved Avengers. It was a lot of fun. It has minor flaws, but none big enough to take away from the immense amount of entertainment. It's a perfect summer movie and it's one of the few movies that's a blast to see with an audience. I'm a Marvel fanboy and I'm thrilled they've been able to put out all of these quality comic book movies. I was skeptical they'd be able to pull it off when all of this was announced years ago.

The Avengers broke records. It's the highest-grossing film in nearly any category you could measure right now, and it will likely wind up the highest-grossing film in history. Those are impressive enough numbers without having to come up with other convoluted stats to show that. You know, like arbitrarily picking and choosing which films to compare it to.

"Guys! Avengers has made more money than the other five highest-grossing films that start with A!!!!!11111!! COMBINED111"

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

username
PostPosted: May 16 2012 02:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Drew Linky wrote:

Go do some research.

http://www.the-numbers.com/

Look, I loved Avengers. It was a lot of fun. It has minor flaws, but none big enough to take away from the immense amount of entertainment. It's a perfect summer movie and it's one of the few movies that's a blast to see with an audience. I'm a Marvel fanboy and I'm thrilled they've been able to put out all of these quality comic book movies. I was skeptical they'd be able to pull it off when all of this was announced years ago.

The Avengers broke records. It's the highest-grossing film in nearly any category you could measure right now, and it will likely wind up the highest-grossing film in history. Those are impressive enough numbers without having to come up with other convoluted stats to show that. You know, like arbitrarily picking and choosing which films to compare it to.

"Guys! Avengers has made more money than the other five highest-grossing films that start with A!!!!!11111!! COMBINED111"

hehe. i agree w/the whole rant

Klimbatize wrote:

Cattivo
PostPosted: May 16 2012 04:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
It's the highest-grossing film in nearly any category you could measure right now, and it will likely wind up the highest-grossing film in history.

Until the Dark Knight Rises is released in July. Wink

Well said otherwise Klimba. Cheers!
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 16 2012 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:
It's the highest-grossing film in nearly any category you could measure right now, and it will likely wind up the highest-grossing film in history.

Until the Dark Knight Rises is released in July. Wink

Ha, I hope so. I should have added "up to this point". Nolan's by far my favorite filmmaker and I love me some Nolan Batman. Will be extremely tough to top Avengers though, money-wise.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 25 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Film broke $1 billion on the 21st. It accomplished this in 19 days, matching the speed record set by Cameron's Avatar and Deathly Hallows Part 2.

username
PostPosted: May 26 2012 03:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

are you sure? are you sure you didnt make it up again

Klimbatize wrote:

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: May 28 2012 02:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:

I didn't make up anything I've said in this thread. You guys just didn't pay attention to what I was saying. Baiting

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: May 28 2012 03:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
username wrote:

I didn't make up anything I've said in this thread. You guys just didn't pay attention to what I was saying. Baiting

Nooooo, I think you're making it up again.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 30 2012 03:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

In fact, it's beaten the following movies combined by about 150%. It's crazy.

Adaptation - $22.5 million
V For Vendetta - $129 million
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - $47 million
Nancy Drew - $30 million
Gandhi - $52 million
Eragon - $250 million
Revenge of the Nerds - $40 million
Secondhand Lions - $48 million

Combined: $721 million
Avengers: $1.2 billion

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 30 2012 07:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

JoshWoodzy wrote:
username wrote:
yeah... most of them were good. this whole claim of them being shitty is just another one of your dumbass opinions

Yeah, there are at least 3 or 4 awful Marvel movies, I assumed he was talking about the famously shitty ones.

If we're talking about just movies made by Marvel, it narrows it down, but if we're talking movies based on Marvel properties, it widens the gap a bit.

Howard the Duck is famously awful
Fantastic Four and it's sequel are arguably not good
Ghost Rider and it's sequels are arguably not good

Thor was pretty awful. When they weren't in Asgard or fighting Frost Giants, it was boring as fuck. And they spent a lot of time not being in Asgard or fighting Frost Giants.

Iron Man 1 wasn't great. It needed a more interesting villain. I might as well have been watching a remake of The Rocketeer. No wait, The Rocketeer had a way better villain.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 30 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still enjoyed Iron Man 1, in spite of a weak villain. I can't speak to Thor because it didn't interest me enough to go see it. Although, I absolutely loved Conan dubbing its trailers with a feminine voice for Thor. Freaking hysterical. I should look to see if they have any of those videos on his site still and post them.

And oh, yeah, Rocketeer kicked ass all around.
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 30 2012 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's those fake Thor trailers from Conan, if anyone is interested. The embedding doesn't seem to be working for me, but here's the links. The ad preceding is only 15 seconds:

http://teamcoco.com/content/thor-did-they-get-right-actor

http://teamcoco.com/content/new-thor-movie-not-what-it-seems
Reply to topic

Jump to: