"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Moving the IRC Channel

Reply to topic
Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

People in the IRC have been being disconnected very frequently for a long time, but lately especially. Netsplits have also just become sort of a daily thing. This kinda stuff just sort of comes with the territory of being on a large network, though, which is why we in the IRC have been talking for a while about moving to another, preferably smaller, network. Shardea knows some people who run their own IRC server which a few people have been trying out for like a week now, and it's been working infinitely better than DALnet for keeping us connected to it. If it turns out that it doesn't work though, for whatever reason, LordHuffnPuff also suggested us a network where we'd have an /in/. Obviously we wouldn't just be immediately switching over, so we'd have time to notice any problems with wherever we try moving the channel, but we really would like to get moving. I could see how people who don't go to IRC often, or even people who are only used to DALnet or a similar network, might not see the advantages, but we really are capable of a much nicer IRC experience than the one we presently have. Any suggestions or discussion on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with FigPollution on this one. I, at the very least, am up for moving the room to a different server, especially because the netsplits can get particularly frustrating mid-conversation.

Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, DALnet is shitty, the server we've been testing isn't. Seems like a no-brainer.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Gonna have to agree with this one.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Same here. DALnet has served us well, but it's time to move on. These problems don't seem to be getting better at all, only worse Sad
Captain_Pollution
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 06:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

ToGdor wrote:
Aye, DALnet is shitty, the server we've been testing isn't. Seems like a no-brainer.

Also worth noting that before trying the new server, Alyx didn't see any point in leaving DALnet.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 08:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, let's move it to a brand new exciting server! Where everyone will continue to talk about nothing but 20 year old NES games... Bell Bell

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Sarge
Title: The Self-Titler
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 09:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I never had a problem with DALnet personally. After trying different networks, I have to agree that DALnet blows. Not only do I connect quicker, we can avoid all the trouble other people have. Oh yeah, and netsplits. Fuck those things, except when Lexy time travels.

Edit: Okay, I just reread about the Time Split. That was awesome, lets never leave DALnet.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 09:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like a good idea.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 09:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Signed

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

For nostalgic purposes I say we stay with DALnet.

Black Zarak wrote:
Yes, let's move it to a brand new exciting server! Where everyone will continue to talk about nothing but 20 year old NES games... Bell Bell

That's not all we talk about.

Look man, do you realize how frustrating it is to be this close to orgasm and your partner fucking netsplits on you? They're suddenly whisked away to Christ knows where and you're left, literally, with your dick in your hand. Then you're forced to finish up with someone like Vald. I mean, I like the dude, but he's severely lacking in the creative department when it comes to that and it makes the whole experience subpar. We must fix this!

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I want to be on a big network. Honestly I'd REALLY REALLY like to stay on DALnet. I picked both IRC and DALnet as our chat method for nostalgic reasons, not for any sort of convenience.

I would be willing to consider QuakeNet or Undernet if I must.

I will NOT EVER join the chat if you move to some small server out in hicktown, and if that is what you guys choose to do, I would appreciate it very much if you do not put the #sydlexia name on it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since this is the non-technical discussion of which IRC service to select I suggest that a compromise is agreed upon and DALnet is abandoned in favor of Undernet or Quakenet. This appears to achieve a goal with a maximum benefit of the community's appeal as well as this site's affiliation.

Also, on a second note, my logic driven OCD brain hates non-technical discussions about IT infrastructure, so fuck you all for hurting my head. This Is A Joke
(note: the top part isn't a joke)

Captain_Pollution
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I want to be on a big network. Honestly I'd REALLY REALLY like to stay on DALnet. I picked both IRC and DALnet as our chat method for nostalgic reasons, not for any sort of convenience.

I would be willing to consider QuakeNet or Undernet if I must.

I will NOT EVER join the chat if you move to some small server out in hicktown, and if that is what you guys choose to do, I would appreciate it very much if you do not put the #sydlexia name on it.

I cannot even imagine what the IRC would be like without your presence, so I'm very interested in keeping your patronage. I'm not sure I understand why you don't approve, though; I don't see the point in having an IRC channel if it doesn't work very well, and we've found a solution that /does/ work very well. I've grown pretty attached to some of DALnet's niceties though, so I really wouldn't want to move to a network without NickServ, which rules out QuakeNet and Undernet.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The following servers do not have Nick Registration:
* Quakenet, Undernet, IRCnet, EFNet

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What about abandoning IRC and putting a chat in the forums? I know there are plenty of free options there.

Crazy_Bastard
Title: CeeBee
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Syd. I think if we switch servers, it should be another major server we can count on connectivity. DALnet is convenient at the moment, I suppose. The netsplits and disconnects never bothered me despite how often I was affected, and I can't imagine being without a nickserv.

In spite of whatever happens, I also think we should keep the forums and the IRC associated with one another. The two are mutually beneficial together; We've gotten some pretty awesome forumers to be regulars on the IRC, and if I'm not mistaken, we've picked up a few forumers from DALnet. Hell, I wouldn't be posting here if it weren't for the discussion going on in IRC right now. Plus, the name is more recognizable.

Either way, this isn't really our call, it's Syd's. If we really want to pack up and move to a new server, there's nothing stopping us. But I believe it's in our best interest to keep things as they are now, until a better compromise is reached.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
The following servers do not have Nick Registration:
* Quakenet, Undernet, IRCnet, EFNet

I don't know if it can be accessed externally, but I believe mibbit has a large IRC network with nickserv

Additionally freenode.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see what the big deal is with moving it, personally. I understand that DALnet is part of internet history, but I doubt anyone here uses a gramophone or a rotary phone. I respect DALnet for what it used to be, but now it's a shell of its former self.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm thankful for DALnet and I'm proud of its legacy, but it's like using dialup when cable is readily available in your area.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

TheThunderThief
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 02:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not as frustrated with the netsplits, but I could see why people are fed up with them. The big problem for me is getting disconnected from the server, I didn't think it was that big of a deal, that the problem was on my end, until I was on the test server and dalnet at the same time, and I was only getting disconnected from dalnet, Fuck /that/ noise.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 03:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The netsplits aren't the main issue that any of us have with DALnet, it's the massive disconnects that happen pretty much every single day now. They're the main thing we're trying to get away from, honestly.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 03:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't rightfully care either way. I don't see much reason to move. Yes, netsplits exist, disconnects happen, but it's a minor inconvenience if anything. It's gonna happen on any network.

Two things, though.
1 - If we're going to stay on a larger network, I'd rather stay on DalNet than migrate around. I see even less reason to jump from one giant to another.

2 - I don't see much of a reason to be on a larger network. The channel is secret right now, it doesn't show up on a DalNet search or anything. It's not gonna be found through IRC means.
Captain_Pollution
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 03:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We're testing Mibbit the Network and Freenode now. Mibbit is fine feature-wise, just looking at stability now. Freenode is great feature-wise I know, testing stability, but it doesn't allow connection through Mibbit the Client, which I think is pretty lame. Also somebody else already registered FigNewton on Freenode :(
@om*d wrote:
What about abandoning IRC and putting a chat in the forums? I know there are plenty of free options there.

No chance in hell.
UsaSatsui wrote:
1 - If we're going to stay on a larger network, I'd rather stay on DalNet than migrate around. I see even less reason to jump from one giant to another.

2 - I don't see much of a reason to be on a larger network. The channel is secret right now, it doesn't show up on a DalNet search or anything. It's not gonna be found through IRC means.

I agree with both of these points, ideally. Depends if we fine a huge improvement for the first point, but I /really/ agree with the second. Connection issues get more prominent on larger networks, too.

Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 03:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
I don't rightfully care either way. I don't see much reason to move. Yes, netsplits exist, disconnects happen, but it's a minor inconvenience if anything. It's gonna happen on any network.

Yes, disconnects and netsplits will happen on any network, but they won't happen with as insane of a frequency. Folks on Shardea's Frogbox server haven't disconnected once in the week since they went over to test it, and the same can be true of many other larger networks as well. DALnet is one of the worst networks out there right now as far as stability goes, other networks, even larger ones, don't disconnect people nearly as often.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 25 2012 03:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
For nostalgic purposes I say we stay with DALnet.

Black Zarak wrote:

That's not all we talk about.

Look man, do you realize how frustrating it is to be this close to orgasm and your partner fucking netsplits on you? They're suddenly whisked away to Christ knows where and you're left, literally, with your dick in your hand. Then you're forced to finish up with someone like Vald. I mean, I like the dude, but he's severely lacking in the creative department when it comes to that and it makes the whole experience subpar. We must fix this!

hes a mathematician, what did you expect?

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: