[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
"Things that piss you off" music edition

Reply to topic
Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 22 2011 04:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rayk wrote:
Drew Linky wrote:
Pot heads who claim that 'Dark Side of the Moon' is SOOOOOO much better to listen to while high. Fuck you, I like the deep lyrics to remain deep, not funny.

And don't get me wrong, I don't mind pot heads. Prefer them, actually. But it pisses me off when they try to invade my music bubble.

...dark side of the moon is so much better on mushrooms.

Anyhow, music that pisses me off is any three cord bands that some how made it big(nickleback) and all the teenies that disney is pimping out with autotuner.

When you said three-chord, my hands immediately jumped to the computer to get pissy about it. Then I read the rest of the post.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Oct 22 2011 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I thought he was bashing Floyd for a second too and I almost flipped the fuck out.

The fact that press goes out of their way to poke Axl Rose with sticks when he just wants to go out there and play some songs for his fans. Axl looks like he gained weight, Axl fell down at a show in Mexico City, Axl had the nerve to put on a raincoat during a show when it was raining, Axl sounded out a little off on this one song he did in two hour set. Jesus Christ, leave the guy alone.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 24 2011 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I meant that I thought he was bashing punk.

And yeah, I see it. I never gave GnR a fair listen, so I don't have the nostalgia for young Axl. I don't see him become middle-aged and automatically want to blow up the world, so I feel more empathetic to him than I would if I was a "TRU FAN!"

One of my moments I hate is when I listen to a band, and build up this cool image of them in my head, and when I that the band is a bunch of goofy-looking neckbeards or something, my opinion of them goes down, which makes me hate myself for being such a tool, as well.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 19 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dammit, part 2 to my punk rant. Just launched Google Music punk rock section. Top 6 downloaded songs in the genre:
"Rapture"- Blondie
"In a Big Country"- Big Country
"Mad World"- Tears for Fears
"Mad World"- Tears for Fears
Hell, I would have been at least content if it was all Vandals or Sum 41 or some other shit. I'm not trying to sound like a 14-year-old TRU PUNK, but glossing over the whole list of punk in their collection, the closest I see to a hard rocking post-Ramones band is Blink 182, and they barely scraped the top 50. This may not matter to some, but what if I started calling Nickelback and Yellowcard "heavy metal" because they wear black t-shirts? I'm just pissed that it gives hipsters more avenues to shove Sonic Youth and The Velvet Underground down everyone's throats while talented punk bands like Dillinger Four, Sass Dragons, Chinese Telephones, Bomb the Music Industry, etc. have to be obscure in their own actual genre.

/whining

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 19 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
Hell, I would have been at least content if it was all Vandals or Sum 41 or some other shit.

No idea why you would be putting The Vandals in the same category as Sum 41 "or some other shit", as they have been around since 1980 and their lineup hasn't even changed since 1990. They've been consistently fantastic and have never tried to jump on the "politics are meeningful and fuck authority yall" bandwagon, they've always written songs that are just fun, silly and making fun of Cowboy Bars, mullets, Hitler, left-wingers, right-wingers, Euro-Trash and cute girls working at hot dog stands.

One thing that REALLY pissed me off regarding The Vandals is back in 2003-2004, they went and played for the troops in Iraq, causing whiny liberal douchebag bands like Anti-Flag and the such to cry "WAHH, YOU SUPPORT WAR". Basically, I hope those bands who feel they must have a mohawk, wear black and have 90% of their lyrics consisting of far left jibber jabber to get punched in the throat.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 19 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That was like 3 different sentences that got messed into one. I didn't want to throw out Blink 182 or Good Charlotte for well known bands, and it feels like I saw The Vandals on every sampler growing up. I never liked them, but I wasn't commenting on their quality. Replace "shit" with "stuff" in your head for that one.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Nov 20 2011 02:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

People who try to say that you need to be musically complex and make technically stunning songs to be any good piss me off. On the other hand, people who label any band that makes musically complex and technically stunning music as sellouts with no emotion also piss me off. Basically, a band can make a good song with just three chords and a band who throws in a little classical guitar in their music can make a song with just as much emotion as any other song if they care about what they're playing.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 20 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the attitude of "I hate people who say they 'like a little bit of everything.'" Get over yourself, and look for good music wherever it may be.

HardcoreGamer4Ever
Title: I Am The God Of Awesome
PostPosted: Nov 20 2011 01:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
I don't like the attitude of "I hate people who say they 'like a little bit of everything.'" Get over yourself, and look for good music wherever it may be.

QFT. I have an eclectic taste, listening to everything from Michael Jackson to Led Zeppelin to Amon Amarth to Mother Love Bone.

I think this may have been mentioned, but I hate how the Grammys are essentially a popularity contest. How else do you explain Linkin Park winning two Grammys? How do you explain Katy Perry and Justin Bieber getting nominated for Grammys? They tend to go by commercial success rather than quality.

https://badassgorilla.blogspot.com/

Yo yo yo, check out my new(ish) site!

RIP Happy Katana (2010-2020)

Boonjovi
Title: Electric Sex Pants
PostPosted: Dec 23 2011 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hate being bashed for listening to Blink-182 and Green Day. I know they're not exactly punk anymore, but punk isn't the ONLY good genre. Damn.

"If you try to fix violence, with more violence, all you do is create violence" - Tom DeLonge.

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Dec 27 2011 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate that young Axl Rose and I have the exact same face. Love GnR and respect the guy, and I think he gets a lot of undue shit, but it makes me fear the future. Just sayin'.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Dec 30 2011 04:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

That Justin Bieberlake (or whatever the fuck his name is) is allowed to exist anywhere.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Lasher
Title: an horse
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 09:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Skrillex haircuts... They're everywhere. On the bus. The train. Work. School. In the city. At the store.

It's like Tribbles. Multiplying. Slowly taking over the Earth. God help us. Please. Stop them!

get your ass to mars

Rake
Title: Guitarrorist
PostPosted: Mar 22 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate where the metal spotlight has gone. All the popular metal used to be really fucking good. Fuckin' Pantera, Sepultura, Anthrax.. Thats what you used to hear whenever fucking ANYONE said metal. Fuck, even later on it was still decent with shit like Fear Factory taking more focus than other crap. But NOW. Fuckin' now all the magazines and film clips and focus is on this ridiculous dime a dozen breakdown happy three part band name earhole big enough to fist fucking cosplay hair orientated I dont know how to play anything that isnt in a drop tuned harmonic minor scale fucking fairy metal. Fucking All Shall Perish, They Shall Fall, Remains The Day, A Day To Remember, Today Is The Day, Lamb of God, fucking oooooon and on it goes. Thank Christ for the few bands keeping the steel alive. Thankyou Nile, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, Necrophagist, Decapitated, Animals As Leaders, Origin, Blotted Science, The Faceless and Psycroptic even though your last release was poor in comparison to its predecessor.

Please tell me that when all these fucking toddlers grow out of thinking Disturbed is gritty, trailblazing metal, we can put those wasted credits where where they should be - in the machines that have been grinding out A-grade iron all the while, regardless of having a bunch of trend lemmings to suck thier dicks and punch the fucking air for them.

Top 3 bands of the week

Alowishus
PostPosted: Mar 22 2012 01:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Today is the Day i don't really listen to but they have being doing their shit from around the same time as Pantera and Sepultura.

They were by no means a mainstream band - and i guess still aren't. I wouldn't even really call them a metal band.

I have a compilation album for Amphetamine Reptile - the noise rock label. Where they have four tracks along with Chokebore and Guzzard - and this album was 1993.

So they aren't exactly apart of this metal spotlight now. These guys were tearing up the underground about 20 years ago.

See http://www.allmusic.com/album/clusterfuck-93-r340167
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Mar 24 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Every track by MIA. My friends constantly said, "Oh, you have to listen to her, she's so original and great." Yes, so original she sampled Straight to Hell by the Clash. I can taste it, oozing out of the speakers, the originality. Her voice irritates the shit out of me.

This post reminded me of something I hate. You guys ever get all excited when someone says they like one of your favorite bands, then when you ask them what their favorite song by the band is, it's always the song that tips you off that they haven't actually heard anything else by the band? It's like when people say they like M.I.A. because their favorite song is "Paper Planes", or they like Radiohead because their favorite song is "Creep", or they like Rammstein because their favorite song is "Du Hast".

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 25 2012 01:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron wrote:
aeonic wrote:
Every track by MIA. My friends constantly said, "Oh, you have to listen to her, she's so original and great." Yes, so original she sampled Straight to Hell by the Clash. I can taste it, oozing out of the speakers, the originality. Her voice irritates the shit out of me.

This post reminded me of something I hate. You guys ever get all excited when someone says they like one of your favorite bands, then when you ask them what their favorite song by the band is, it's always the song that tips you off that they haven't actually heard anything else by the band? It's like when people say they like M.I.A. because their favorite song is "Paper Planes", or they like Radiohead because their favorite song is "Creep", or they like Rammstein because their favorite song is "Du Hast".

To be fair, Du Hast is my second favorite song by Rammstein, because it's the first song I'd heard from them, much like the vast majority of the US (Klavier is my favorite). My question to you, I suppose, would be, is it impossible to like a band, having only heard one song by them? If you really dig the sound of that one song and how the band plays it, but you've never heard anything else, is that a huge sticking point, or do you then, as a friend, share the breadth of your musical experience with them. Or at least just tell them, "Oh, Google. Youtube. Etc."?

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 01:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
My question to you, I suppose, would be, is it impossible to like a band, having only heard one song by them? If you really dig the sound of that one song and how the band plays it, but you've never heard anything else, is that a huge sticking point, or do you then, as a friend, share the breadth of your musical experience with them. Or at least just tell them, "Oh, Google. Youtube. Etc."?

Of course if they want to hear more stuff by the band I suggest/burn them stuff, I just feel like it's kind of a misnomer when people say they really dig a band and yet they've only heard one song, which kind of prohibits me from having the super-in-depth conversation about the band that they originally suggested was possible.

Preng
Title: All right, that's cool!
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I generally agree with where you all are going with this - if you've only got one or two songs from a band, and you haven't attempted to check out their other albums or creative works, then in most cases it would appear you are going through a fad as opposed to a genuine appreciation for a band. As Cam implied, a love for one song makes a full-fledged conversation difficult.

Still, it does provide an opportunity to recommend other songs or albums by the same artist, which at least may result in continued development of musical tastes.

Also, I totally have Paper Planes on my iPod, but I am certainly no MIA fan.
Reinhart_x
Title: Master of nothing
PostPosted: Mar 29 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You guys can add me to the list; I definitely like when people hear about a band I really enjoy but it kinda sucks when they don't know anything but maybe the most popular song by that band. Especially because for some reason my favorite songs usually end up being the ones that never become singles or ones reviewers always shit on (LOL) so I have to go on youtube or something to share my appreciation for the songs. *le sigh*
JRA
PostPosted: Sep 30 2012 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Albums that come with bonus discs featuring commentary. Dumbest idea ever.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Oct 05 2012 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate how Neutral Milk Hotel is written off because of hipsters these days.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 05 2012 02:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

No shit! Pitchfork loved it, so apparently now it isn't groundbreaking, brilliantly written or musically unique from anything else you've ever heard. Stupid...

<--Obvious fan
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Dec 08 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When the "classic rock" station plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana... No... just no. Because when I hear "classic rock" I think of '90's alternative.

They also play Metallica...but ONLY from the black album. Lame.

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Mick Bynes
Title: The Death Metal God
PostPosted: Jan 01 2013 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It pisses me off that the majority of the stuff they play in the mainstream is full of talentless musicians and then you have a whole bunch of musicians who actually have talent, but they'll never get the recognition they truly deserve.

Reply to topic

Jump to: