SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Mass Effect 3

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Mar 06 2012 06:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Backlash is reaching critical levels of hilarious.

[SPOILER:74d743cd53]
[/SPOILER:74d743cd53]

1500 likes, 43 dislikes hahaha.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Mar 07 2012 05:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Water Hamster wrote:
This is what that fatty was adamant to include

http://youtu.be/0aaYjcadKt0

Considering all the side-tit and side-ass there was in the romance scenes in MEs 1&2, some side-ball or something for ME3 would've been fair, at least. Seriously, though, it's not like they packaged the game with a fleshlight peripheral painted like a turian's asshole that you have to put your dick in order to play. Besides, between day one DLC and, from everything I hear, a horrendous storyline job, everyone's getting fucked buying this thing anyhow.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Mar 07 2012 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am hardly a Bioware fanboy, but don't people have anything better to do with their lives than constantly troll them and shit on them day in and out?

Nah, I guess not.

That vid is mildly funny though.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Greg the White
PostPosted: Mar 07 2012 06:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy fucking crap, I see so many people pissing an moaning about the dumbest crap with this game, without even bringing up the game itself. Bought it, have put a good chunk of time into it. Maybe we can use some of these as an actual topic on the game.

Pros:
- It feels like there's an actual goddamned war for once. Fighting on Palaven's moon and seeing the planet burn with all kinds of firefights on the ground and space makes you feel like you're part of a galactic conflict instead of playing lone wolf commando while everyone else sniffs their farts on the Presidium.

-Shepard has a lot more personality this time around. Back in the other games, I could typically predict exactly what each dialogue choice would say and how it would be said. This time around, Shepard says more than one sentence or asks very specific questions. You can actually see a little bit of weakness in Shepard instead of constantly being the stoic badass whom everyone is in love with.

-Equipment and combat is improved. While inventory/leveling in ME1 was a mess, and ME2's systems for both was overly-simplistic, there are some nice compromises in ME3. You get an acceptable range of weapons, to which you can add upgrades, and leveling is similar to ME2, but with the choice of leveling your talents affecting either the damage of said talents, or improving your stats overall.
-Resource gathering has ceased to become as fucking tedious as the last two. You basically go into a system, let out a pulse, and the galaxy map will show you where you can grab available money, upgrades, artifacts, war materials, etc. They keep resources at a reasonable amount, and if you do too many pulses, Reapers will jump onto the galaxy map and chase you until you leave the star system.

- The combat is great. Most of the levels feel like arenas, in that there are tons of ways to flank/ambush enemies, while they are smart enough to do the same to you. Talents also feel like they have a higher impact, and I actually find myself using the soldier's talents for once, instead of picking the class just for its ammo talents.

-The writing is better. Characters are more expressive, and plot arcs have a little more impact. There's a fair amount of intrigue because while the council races are in chaos, Cerberus is going after their own agenda, and you find out really early on that they've somehow harnessed Reaper technology.

-Side quests are little more involved this time. Whereas Mass Effect 1 and to a lesser extent 2 copy-pasted a lot of side quests, ME3 keeps it under control and side-quests each feel unique and important

Cons:
-Disc switching (360) is a bit of a mess. It seems like main quests are on one disc, with side quests on another. I'll let you figure out why this sucks.

-Loot doesn't automatically make itself known unless you are up close and pointing your crosshairs pretty much directly on it. I'm always paranoid that I'm constantly running past new weapons/upgrades/medi-gel pickups because they're not as easily spotted as in ME 1 and 2.

-They don't address it too much in the game, but some side-quests won't last forever, and will typically just become available if you do too many main quests before it. This makes it nice and confusing when you get a quest before the cluster that that quest takes place in before that cluster actually opens up. I find myself constantly double-checking new clusters on my galaxy map just so the quest won't up and disappear on me.

-There's a bit of repetition when it comes to meeting old squad-mates. You run into them, they tell you they can't help or anything, you ask three questions and leave. There were some pleasant surprises (Jack especially), but it just feels like they wanted to fit all of your choices into context and came up with a template in doing so.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: Mar 13 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished ME3 for PC.

I found the game itself to be an awesome experience and I 2nd all of Greg's comments (minus the disc swapping, didn't have that issue on PC)

My biggest bitch and moan would be the ending. No spoilers here, I was just very let down by it. I really wanted almost like a Fallout style ending summing up everything from ME1-ME3.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

Since I don't own a 360, I've only played the first game (Paragon male Engineer btw), but I'm hearing from everybody that the ending was a let down. As someone really into storyline and the writing, and with that final outcome, should I really bother playing the other 2/3rds?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 03:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Put it this way: my best friend took this past week off of work to play it with a huge investiture of time in the other two, and beat it handily. His analogy was that it was like "being on the best rollercoaster ever that just gets better and better as you go through the turns, and then when you think you're coming back in all satisfied at the end of the ride, the platform collapses and you land with the car on top of you, snap your neck and die by choking on your own blood while you're paralyzed from the chin down."

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
Put it this way: my best friend took this past week off of work to play it with a huge investiture of time in the other two, and beat it handily. His analogy was that it was like "being on the best rollercoaster ever that just gets better and better as you go through the turns, and then when you think you're coming back in all satisfied at the end of the ride, the platform collapses and you land with the car on top of you, snap your neck and die by choking on your own blood while you're paralyzed from the chin down."

Yes, but what does your wife think about it?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:

Yeaaah... I've heard that the game itself is fantastic, up until the last 10 minutes.

That's unfortunate. I was hoping for something that really felt like the conclusion of three games. Like, everything you've done was building up to this moment. In the end tho it just falls flat.

Knowing there's such a sucky ending waiting for me makes it easier to hold off on buying the game until they release a version with all the DLC's at a reduced price.

天上天下唯我独尊

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You guys are all getting the bad ending because you're not letting those two guys have a relationship. Open your minds, people.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard you need to do some of the multiplayer stuff to get the best ending. Is that true?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
You guys are all getting the bad ending because you're not letting those two guys have a relationship. Open your minds, people.

I believe the technical term they're using is "rear ending."

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
aeonic wrote:

Yes, but what does your wife think about it?

She hasn't played it yet. We're hoping that Skyrim stops glitching out (she's at level 47, and since 1.5 patch hasn't been released, she's in the process of finishing off open questlines and removing/selling or crafting with most of the stuff she has in storage so the glitchiness goes down). I probably won't play it myself, as I find I don't have enough time to, especially with her usually playing games on the 360 instead. I still have a relatively vested interest in the matter, though, as I enjoy watching her play games and I'm the one who has to pay sixty bucks for the motherfucker, plus DLC.

Back to the endings matter, from what I'm aware of, it's not necessary to do the multiplayer stuff to get the 'best' ending; from what I understand, there's still only three actual endings. I think it was indicated that the multiplayer might help with the war effort dealie-o but isn't necessary in and of itself. I could be wrong.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Mar 14 2012 08:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The multiplayer stuff only makes getting the endings a little bit easier. I had enough resources (at least 5000) to get all three ending choices before I even touched multiplayer.

Very vague spoilers for ME3's ending coming up:

I had a whole thing written up for the endings, but it basically just boils down to two ideas. First, gamers needing to let go of the arbitrary "good ending/bad ending" system in games. It feels dumb that we're so conditioned to expect everything to be awesome at the end just because we need to be rewarded. Second, the developers need to realize that, hey, these players put a lot of effort into the series. We hundred percented the hideous collection missions in ME1, played a bunch of dull DLC packs, and scanned planets for god knows how many combined hours in order to get the galaxy to fight the reapers. Throwing away all of that effort in the name of stuffing a Macguffin that doesn't make any sense into the last ten minutes of the game with only the "evil" option resulting in Shepard surviving felt lazy in the middle of such a well-realized, amazing series of games that has had a ton of love and work put into it.

I played through ME3, loved it all, love the whole series. The final 15 minutes or so were strange and very detached, but for what they were, they were presented well. I guess it's like eating a really good four course french gourmet meal and finishing it off with a pint of Chubby Hubby. It doesn't really fit into the motif, but it was still a well-made desert.

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Mar 21 2012 04:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Like usual, the guys behind Extra Credits make a great video. This time about things like Mass Effect 3's DLC and Day 1 DLC as a whole:

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/mass-effect-3-dlc

aeonic
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 05:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/bioware-change-mass-effect-3-ending-194431568.html

So, apparently BioWare/EA decided that they're going to change/clarify/alter the ending. What does this mean? Anything? Everything? A possible DLC pack to make people buy? I know someone on a forum made the comment, "Would Hemmingway or Shakespeare have changed their ending due to public outcry?". My response? "ME3 sure ain't Hemmingway, or even fucking Shakespeare."

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 09:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

aeonic wrote:
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/bioware-change-mass-effect-3-ending-194431568.html

So, apparently BioWare/EA decided that they're going to change/clarify/alter the ending. What does this mean? Anything? Everything? A possible DLC pack to make people buy? I know someone on a forum made the comment, "Would Hemmingway or Shakespeare have changed their ending due to public outcry?". My response? "ME3 sure ain't Hemmingway, or even fucking Shakespeare."

Beethoven heavily revised Fidelio in part due to negative audience reception.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Greg the White
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Huff beat me to it, and in all honesty, if they are willing to fix it after selling so many copies, they must have been uncomfortable with it in the first place. I'm open to the idea of an artist altering their own craft, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of the audience being empowered to have everything catered to their current mindset at all times.

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Greg the White wrote:
I'm open to the idea of an artist altering their own craft, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of the audience being empowered to have everything catered to their current mindset at all times.

Welcome to 2012, where everyone feels self-entitled as fuck. These people petition anything and everything now when they don't get their way.

Like tantrumming babies.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 04:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I hope they give the game the gayest ending they can possibly come up with, just to enrage all of the idiots who complained about homosexual relationships in the game.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Mar 23 2012 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair the ending was kind of unclear and none of the choices were really all that different from the others. A little more clarity to close out the series would be nice and I can see why people are upset about it. It is the designers decision in the end, but man that ending kind of let me down after the three game lead up to that very short cutscene where you can't even be sure what you did actually had any effect on the universe.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 04:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

at least they are taking the time to listen to their audience, unlike that fucking lucas guy who keeps changing shit when people tell him to not change it.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
at least they are taking the time to listen to their audience, unlike that fucking lucas guy who keeps changing shit when people tell him to not change it.

Maybe they listen too much. I saw a bit of what the original planned ending was that was apparently scrapped because it leaked and fans complained. Even tho some complained, I think what they had planned originally fit the motif and the feel of the story better. The ending they went with did not. So now people complained and they are changing it /again/.

I think if they had stuck with what they originally planned it would've been better. With a series like this you are not going to please everyone. Probably best to stick with what you wanted to do, with what was planned, rather than try to make everyone happy.

天上天下唯我独尊

LordHuffnPuff
Title: Mahna Mahna
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

aika wrote:
I think what they had planned originally fit the motif and the feel of the story better.

Presuming you're referring to the "Dark Energy" plot, how does an eleventh-hour doomsday twist that reduces the ending to not three (as we have now) but two choices which also fail to incorporate prior decisions or resolve things in any more of a meaningful fashion fit the motif and the feel of the story better? It seems to me that the leaked ending suffers from exactly the same problems that people have complained about regarding the current one: tossing all prior player agency out the window in favor of a "look behind door 1 or 2" approach.

____________҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡͡҉҉)___________
I am currently on an extended hiatus from the IRC chat room. If you need me, send a PM and I will get back to you as promptly as I am able.

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Greg the White
PostPosted: Mar 26 2012 03:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

At this point, I don't give a high-flying shit about "choice." I wasn't attracted to the game based on its binary choice system. I loved it because of the rich setting, the great characters, and the hectic gameplay. Being able to affect the story was nice, but I feel like the decisions I made had already affected how things played out, and I didn't need a laundry list of how my side-quests are all doing in the long term. All I wanted was a decent amount of closure that stuck to the mythology, and I wasn't happy with what was delivered.

Reply to topic

Jump to: