Scientists prove I'm smarter than Einstein

Reply to topic
yedereL
PostPosted: Oct 05 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's interesting.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Feb 22 2012 09:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Turns out it was an error after all.

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/02/breaking-news-error-undoes-faster.html

"It appears that the faster-than-light neutrino results, announced last September by the OPERA collaboration in Italy, was due to a mistake after all. A bad connection between a GPS unit and a computer may be to blame.

Physicists had detected neutrinos travelling from the CERN laboratory in Geneva to the Gran Sasso laboratory near L'Aquila that appeared to make the trip in about 60 nanoseconds less than light speed. Many other physicists suspected that the result was due to some kind of error, given that it seems at odds with Einstein's special theory of relativity, which says nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. That theory has been vindicated by many experiments over the decades.

According to sources familiar with the experiment, the 60 nanoseconds discrepancy appears to come from a bad connection between a fiber optic cable that connects to the GPS receiver used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight and an electronic card in a computer. After tightening the connection and then measuring the time it takes data to travel the length of the fiber, researchers found that the data arrive 60 nanoseconds earlier than assumed. Since this time is subtracted from the overall time of flight, it appears to explain the early arrival of the neutrinos. New data, however, will be needed to confirm this hypothesis."

Jeebus again goes back to being not smarter than Einstein.

The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Feb 22 2012 09:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Feb 22 2012 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The beauty of science is that it is open to critique and disproval. It's how we make advancements. That being said, intelligence doesn't mean much if it isn't properly applied or afforded the opportunity.

I firmly believe that smarter people have worked in fields than most people I've met on the internet, and I hope that they are content with that. Otherwise it's a waste, which I'd be a hypocrite to be disappointed at. Potential is nothing if it's wasted unless the person is happy with their achievements.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

LeshLush
PostPosted: Feb 22 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

justdrop wrote:
I firmly believe that smarter people have worked in fields than most people I've met on the internet, and I hope that they are content with that. Otherwise it's a waste, which I'd be a hypocrite to be disappointed at. Potential is nothing if it's wasted unless the person is happy with their achievements.
Trying to parse. Meaning evades me.
The Opponent
Title: Forum Battle WINNER
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 01:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think it means that he knows people in real life that are smarter than people on the internet, and that if you're smart, you should be doing something in the world unless you have a reason not to.

I'm not a bad enough dude, but I am an edgy little shit. I'll do what I can.

justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 02:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

The-Excel wrote:
I think it means that he knows people in real life that are smarter than people on the internet, and that if you're smart, you should be doing something in the world unless you have a reason not to.

More or less. I also take into account happiness as a factor for not achieving. If someone is happy with their position in life, that is more important to me than forcing them to be something they're unhappy with.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

That sucks. I'm sure we'll disprove that equation of Einstein's eventually. Otherwise, we're all stuck in this solar system until we can make wormholes ourselves....
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 23 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

If Einstein's so smart, how come he's dead?

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Feb 25 2012 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Like JD said, science exists so that we can build on it. Just because we declare something doesn't mean it's absolutely right, it means that it's right until we can revise it to be more accurate /in regards to what we know/ later.

Aristotle was said to be the last man to ever know everything there was to know. Most of the stuff he "knew" we have disproven or completely disregarded, but that doesn't change that what he thought was "right" is what was generally accepted as being such.

It's all subjective.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Reply to topic

Jump to: