SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Star Wars Prequels superior to the original trilogy???

Reply to topic
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Feb 13 2012 06:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

@om*d wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
And then later in the film, the Jedi lead the clone army into battle, because, hey, free army. WHAT THE FUCK? How does that make any sense? If someone offered me a free army of people who were basically genetically engineered to be living robots, I'd turn it down. You know why? BECAUSE IT'S OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING TRICK.

I agree with what you are saying here. At one point in the movie after Ob-Wan tells Yoda and Mace Windu about the army, Yoda suggests the Jedi are blind and that their ability to use the force has weakened considerably. Yoda then goes on to suggest that they inform the senate of their weakness, but Mace Windu says they should not because their enemies would multiply. One can only assume the Jedi take command of the clone army to use so they do not seem weak, and basically it is the Jedi who fuck everything up and cause the Clone Wars. It was obviously a trap, but they seemed to assume they could control it, because I guess that is what Jedi do best... control. Pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

See! The prequels are politically astute.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 15 2012 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not to hijack the thread, but I think Rocky V was a decent movie. IMO people hated it because it lacked two things: Ivan Drago and "Eye of the Tiger."

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Feb 15 2012 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the prequels jammed in Boba Fett's father, C-3PO, and R2D2, as well as converting the ewoks into Jar-jar & the gungans, in order to attract the old fans and young children. In that sense, they kept the familiar to keep the fans happy. To me, it just felt forced.
ProtoScott
Title: New Robot Prototype
PostPosted: Feb 15 2012 05:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but I think Rocky V was a decent movie. IMO people hated it because it lacked two things: Ivan Drago and "Eye of the Tiger."

Meh I don't HATE rocky V it just didn't feel the same to me. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on ABC Family when i was in my early teens and I honestly thought it was like a made for TV movie. It certainly isn't horrible but I never cared for Rocky ignoring his kids or the forced feel to him becoming poor again. Rocky's III and IV had already used up the amount of unnecessary sequels the franchise could have that were still exciting to watch.

Where's Doctor Wiley... Oh no, too late.
My band's music can be heard here ---->http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/FELD/365363305503

http://useblogswisely.blogspot.com/ <------READ MY WRITINGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or not. I don't care.)

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 15 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:
Well, the prequels jammed in Boba Fett's father, C-3PO, and R2D2, as well as converting the ewoks into Jar-jar & the gungans, in order to attract the old fans and young children. In that sense, they kept the familiar to keep the fans happy. To me, it just felt forced.

i agree. it felt 100% forced. especially the whole anakin built c3po crap. thats just retarded. and how did anakin learn 6 million languages?! that was never explained.

then having r2d2 fly in episode was fucking retarded. man. i tried to avoid this thread because i knew this would piss me off.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 09:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cattivo wrote:

I agree 100%......it definitely seemed forced. The idea that Darth Vader build C3P0 is a ridiculous concept, and of course they used the get of out jail free card by having 3P0's mind "wiped" at the end of ROTS.

And not surprisingly they had to force Chewbacca into it as well.......who'da thunk Chewbacca and Yoda knew each other? When Luke was packing up to leave for Dagoba to meet a mysterious Jedi master named Yoda, couldn't Chewy have spoken up and said "Hey, I know that guy!"

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

You know when you watch some time-traveling movie, or movie that takes place in the past, and there always has to be some lame, wink-nudge joke like "That crazy Ray Kroc came around, trying to peddle his awful hamburger business again! That boy will never amount to anything!" while making a goofy, dismissive face? George Lucas looks at that and thinks "Genius!"

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Skinr
Title: Minituae Guru
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 05:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to be one of about four people in the continental United States who actually likes The Phantom Menace.

Now that you're finished throwing full wine bottles at your computer screens, I can continue.

True, the political bent may not be what everyone likes. It's certainly not what most were expecting from a Star Wars film. I have a feeling that if they had adapted the story for Star Trek instead, no one would have had any complaints. I thought it was kind of interesting, actually. As someone who can put House of Cards in his top 5 dramatic TV shows, I liked that the story was at least trying to do something different, even if it didn't come off flawlessly.

The CGI may be excessive, but there were a few spots where it was done really well, Watto being a prime example. In my opinion, CGI should only be used to do one of two things: 1) make minor (read: tiny) changes to make a scene better, or 2) create things that could not possibly be done with practical effects. With a few exceptions, I thought the movie pulled it off. Speaking of, I rather liked that they used a puppet for Yoda rather than just compositing him in like half the other characters. The Neimodians were also good effects-wise.

The few lightsaber fights that were present were mind-blowing. Nothing can be said about the three-way duel between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul that hasn't already been said. Even nicer was the fact that each fighter had his own style; Obi-Wan was quite agile and showy, whereas Qui-Gon was more of a speed-for-power Jedi. (I think this may be something Lucas borrowed from samurai films.)

Finally, Jake Lloyd wasn't that bad. I mean, there are a lot of movies that have child actors who give far worse performances. I think everyone was just looking to rip apart as many things about the movie as they could.

Okay, now on to the things I didn't like. One is insultingly obvious, and need not be mentioned any more. The other is that paranoid old Senator named Sio Bibble. A little static resulting in a dropped call, and he automatically thinks it heralds an invasion? Who knows, maybe he's another Skippy the Jedi Droid.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 06:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of people were quick to pass judgment on Jar Jar. Me? I gave him till the end of the movie to make me believe he wasn't useless...and, believe it or not, he delivered. Sure, he wound up surrendering, but so did Padme. In fact, she did it first. Whenever he appears on The Clone Wars, I look for a reason to praise him...and I find one. Accidental strikes for the good guys are still strikes for the good guys.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 16 2012 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, Jar Jar is fucking horrible and he could have been just as useful without being so annoying. "How rude!" "Meesa meesa meesa"...blow me.

I watched Phantom Menace in 3D in the theater this week, and I had forgotten how fucking annoying he was. Whenever I watch the film on TV it's easy to ignore him by doing something else during his scenes. When I was trapped in the theater and forced to pay 100% attention to him once again it was just awful. Lucas makes all these changes to his movies, including switching out the Yoda puppet for a CGI version in Episode I (which I approve of) but he can't take out some of the Jar Jar silliness?

Still, I dig the movie even if it is the worst Star Wars. Definitely looking forward to Episodes II and III in 3D.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Feb 17 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I fear EP 2 and 3 in 3d due to the dark scenery of it.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Feb 20 2012 05:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
I would actually probably rank them the same as @om*d did. The thing a lot of people don't think about when bashing the prequels is that you had roughly 20 years to fall in love with the Original Trilogy and set everything it told you as inarguable fact before the first prequel. So I think a lot of people hate the prequels because they're "not what Star Wars is, man!" But really, the original Trilogy depicts a galaxy that's been under a tyrannical and very propagandist regime for twenty years, anything even remotely related to Jedi or study of the Force is outlawed under Palpatine. So I'm not saying Lucas knew for certain he was going to put Midichlorians in Phantom Menace back in 70's, but you wouldn't have heard it anywhere in the OT even if he had since no one in the general galaxy would know what the fuck they were. Obi Wan wouldn't have bothered telling Luke about them because it's doubtful he would have had a meter among the things he had when he fled to Tatooine and neither Vader nor the Emperor probably would have mentioned them because why would they? Speculating on Luke's level wouldn't have done anything and they never really catch him long enough to run a blood test.

That's way off topic, but my point is, everyone hates the prequels because they have rose-tinted glasses on for the OT.

The reason I hate the prequels is because they're stiff, horribly acted, shitty green screen clusterfucks with nonexistent characters and consequence free action that all adds up to feel like an autistic person, an inhuman alien, or a toddler wrote the scripts. I don't care about Star Wars mythos or shit like Miticlorians. The fact is none of that mattered before because there were good plots driven by great characters. Adding in a bunch of pseudoscience horse shit or ham fisted political analogies doesn't make for a good movie, let alone a good Star Wars movie.

That being said, my list in order of best to worst:

Empire
A new hope
Return of the jedi

A thousand miles below on Shit Tier, nowhere even comparable to the previously mentioned originals:

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones
Phantom menace

Quote:
The few lightsaber fights that were present were mind-blowing. Nothing can be said about the three-way duel between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul that hasn't already been said.

You mean like how the fights are sterile, emotionless, overly choreographed videogame bullshit?
slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Feb 21 2012 05:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
Black Zarak wrote:
I would actually probably rank them the same as @om*d did. The thing a lot of people don't think about when bashing the prequels is that you had roughly 20 years to fall in love with the Original Trilogy and set everything it told you as inarguable fact before the first prequel. So I think a lot of people hate the prequels because they're "not what Star Wars is, man!" But really, the original Trilogy depicts a galaxy that's been under a tyrannical and very propagandist regime for twenty years, anything even remotely related to Jedi or study of the Force is outlawed under Palpatine. So I'm not saying Lucas knew for certain he was going to put Midichlorians in Phantom Menace back in 70's, but you wouldn't have heard it anywhere in the OT even if he had since no one in the general galaxy would know what the fuck they were. Obi Wan wouldn't have bothered telling Luke about them because it's doubtful he would have had a meter among the things he had when he fled to Tatooine and neither Vader nor the Emperor probably would have mentioned them because why would they? Speculating on Luke's level wouldn't have done anything and they never really catch him long enough to run a blood test.

That's way off topic, but my point is, everyone hates the prequels because they have rose-tinted glasses on for the OT.

The reason I hate the prequels is because they're stiff, horribly acted, shitty green screen clusterfucks with nonexistent characters and consequence free action that all adds up to feel like an autistic person, an inhuman alien, or a toddler wrote the scripts. I don't care about Star Wars mythos or shit like Miticlorians. The fact is none of that mattered before because there were good plots driven by great characters. Adding in a bunch of pseudoscience horse shit or ham fisted political analogies doesn't make for a good movie, let alone a good Star Wars movie.

That being said, my list in order of best to worst:

Empire
A new hope
Return of the jedi

A thousand miles below on Shit Tier, nowhere even comparable to the previously mentioned originals:

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones
Phantom menace

this

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 24 2012 01:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

But...

What if...

username
PostPosted: Feb 25 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
But...

What if...

that... was actually... surprisingly good.

Klimbatize wrote:

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 05:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
Cattivo wrote:
Wow, that's a weird article. A movie blindly inserting random comments about politics in order to seem profound is not the same as saying anything intelligent about politics or making astute references to politics. If anything, the rise of the empire in the prequels resembles how Hitler took control of Germany.

I would not be surprised if the author of the article was paid off by Lucas to try to get people to buy tickets to the 3D release of Phantom Menace.

That said, the inferiority of the prequels is pretty hard to dispute. They have weak plots, which are a sideshow to the main focus of the movie: distracting special effects. It speaks volumes that the only good scene in the entirety of PM is the light sabre battle between Maul, Obi Wan, and Liam Neeson. On top of that, the movies contain a romance story so poorly written, it makes any random romantic comedy movie look like Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. And to cap it all off, Ewan McGregor is the only actor in the entire trilogy that does a good job. The child & teenage actors, which typically give problematic performances in all visual media, do an incredibly horrid job. At least Natalia Portman has recently gained some acting skills to go along with her good looks, but she seemed like robotic Mitt Romney in these movies.

Even Return of the Jedi, with its Ewok issues and copying of the plot from the original film is leagues ahead of the best prequel movie, RotS. That latter movie is simply ok, by the lower standards that were created for us by the first two prequel films.

Star Trek owns the sci-fi genre.

I agree with this opinion for the most part.

I'm not sure I can agree with this opinion, but I'd have to say, I dunno, maybe halfway? If you're talking in terms of sheer ubiquitousness, Star Wars has Star Trek dicked a thousand times over, at least in the cultural short-term. The fandom is just much, much broader in terms of Star Wars fans, even just casual ones, as is the merchandising. I agree with Klimb's opinion that it's space opera, and I'd say that Star Trek is more space soap opera. It's (Star Trek's) success in terms of remaining relevant is at least partially contingent on having television series, because that's where it originated, although the series reboot film has definitely returned it to a state of viability. Star Wars, on the other hand, is primarily reliant on movies to keep the fandom going and engaged, and that's why (I feel) Lucas finally 'deigned' to make the prequels, because people just weren't going to take another special version of the second trilogy films; now that he's got those, he's going to keep 'churning the waters' by re-releasing remastered versions of them too. Honestly, I don't think it's going to ever end up being the nonology that it deserves to be, and here's the reason why (which ties back into my first statement up top, about the whole cultural short-term).

George Lucas isn't getting any younger. At some point, he's going to die, and unlike Roddenberry, who to be frank, had relatively little input in the Star Trek mythos outside of the first two seasons of OTS, the first movie and season one of TNG, Lucas has remained relatively ham-fisted in terms of the direction that the series and mythos have gone in. I understand that he's supposedly retiring from handling those sort of things, but time will tell. My contention is, when Lucas does die, I personally believe that there's going to be quite a bit of anarchy in terms of where to take Star Wars unless he leaves specifically delineated instructions. Couple that with the fact that the third trilogy of trilogies is supposed to be set with Han and Leia's children, amongst others, studying under Luke, the age of the original cast really precludes them from taking part in it (Hamill 60, Fischer 55, Ford 69), CGI de-aging notwithstanding, and you can see where some issues'll arise. In order to do the third series, they'll likely have to get entirely new actors and actresses to fill those familiar parts that people love so much, whereas the Star Trek series and films can and do jump generations and integrate completely new crews relatively seamlessly.

Ultimately, here's my thought on the matter: in the short term, Star Wars has Star Trek beat for sci-fi supremacy, but in the long run, I think that Star Trek will win out.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

username
PostPosted: Feb 26 2012 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

check it out, the 1977 Star Wars budget breakdown:

Klimbatize wrote:

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 27 2012 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
But...

What if...

that... was actually... surprisingly good.

Right?

I didn't see it coming, but I would watch the version of the movie that guy writes.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: Feb 27 2012 03:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'll just pretend that's actually how Episode I went down. Would have set up better Eps II and III, as well.

JRA
PostPosted: Mar 01 2012 05:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I hate how everyone hates on the Ewoks. The Ewoks are fucking awesome, and I won't listen to any ill words against them.

I know really. I'd rather watch them then fucking C-3PO.

In fact I'm gonna say it. C-3PO is the worst character of the whole movie franchise. Worse than Jar-Jar, and worse than Hayden Anakin.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

username
PostPosted: Mar 01 2012 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JRA wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
I hate how everyone hates on the Ewoks. The Ewoks are fucking awesome, and I won't listen to any ill words against them.

I know really. I'd rather watch them then fucking C-3PO.

In fact I'm gonna say it. C-3PO is the worst character of the whole movie franchise. Worse than Jar-Jar, and worse than Hayden Anakin.

wow. those are some big words.

Klimbatize wrote:

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Mar 02 2012 02:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder what Lucas was thinking when he invented 3-PO's character? "Well let's see. We have our young hero guy (Luke). We have our cocky pilot guy (Han Solo). We have our dark evil villain (Vader). We have our beautiful princess in distress (Leia). We have our big furry sidekick (Chewy). Hmmm, now all this movie needs is a gay robot."

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 02 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember correctly, C3PO was originally supposed to have a Brooklyn accent and was going to have a used car dealer vibe going on. Someone should redub the movies to give him that, it would be pretty hilarious.

username
PostPosted: Mar 02 2012 05:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

they are supposed to be the comic relief, arent they?

Klimbatize wrote:

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Mar 02 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, they are supposed to be the comic relief.

Reply to topic

Jump to: