PostPosted: Nov 08 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just started The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. So far a pretty deep read
pineapple
PostPosted: Nov 09 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Catch 22.
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Dec 21 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished Fate of the Jedi: Ascension. Even though I knew it would be terrible, just like the others.

I keep reading the Troy Denning-run Star Wars books...it's a sickness.

(Yes, it was terrible.)

Mad

It is a waste of politeness to be courteous to the devil ~ William L. Garrison

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Dec 21 2011 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I like the Fate of the Jedi books I've read so far. Though I am only as far as Abyss I think...

I'm reading A Crown of Swords, book seven of The Wheel of Time and it's actually pretty good. There's a lot of action and actual plot going on, especially compared to how damn boring most of Lord of Chaos was (until like the very end.)

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Dec 21 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Hey, I like the Fate of the Jedi books I've read so far. Though I am only as far as Abyss I think...

I'm reading A Crown of Swords, book seven of The Wheel of Time and it's actually pretty good. There's a lot of action and actual plot going on, especially compared to how damn boring most of Lord of Chaos was (until like the very end.)

personally, i feel they get worse up til these last two-three books. the last one jordan actually wrote felt very rushed IMO.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Black Zarak
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the cold hand of the reaper on your shoulder will do that...

I have a ways to go before I get to the ones co-written and then fully written by that other guy, but I'm wary of them.

I'm not crazy into the series though, I enjoy it but it gets really long without any purpose sometimes so I just can't get as involved in it sometimes. Like I don't CARE what coat Rand decided to wear this morning and what color it was and what color the scroll work on it was and what the scroll work was patterned as and whether it was silk but he'd much rather just prefer some good old stout Two Rivers wool and he'll never understand bloody women and he wishes he were one of his other stupid friends who also always have women falling all over them but are also always complaining about how they wish THEY were the other because they'll never understand women and OH MY GOD SHUT UP AND WRITE PLOT ALREADY!

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
Well, the cold hand of the reaper on your shoulder will do that...

I have a ways to go before I get to the ones co-written and then fully written by that other guy, but I'm wary of them.

I'm not crazy into the series though, I enjoy it but it gets really long without any purpose sometimes so I just can't get as involved in it sometimes. Like I don't CARE what coat Rand decided to wear this morning and what color it was and what color the scroll work on it was and what the scroll work was patterned as and whether it was silk but he'd much rather just prefer some good old stout Two Rivers wool and he'll never understand bloody women and he wishes he were one of his other stupid friends who also always have women falling all over them but are also always complaining about how they wish THEY were the other because they'll never understand women and OH MY GOD SHUT UP AND WRITE PLOT ALREADY!

Sounds like how I felt reading The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings' first book. I tried but it just dragged on to the point that it was putting me to sleep like a textbook would.

I'm personally reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series right now and it is fairly interesting. I'm on Wolves of Calla right now and so far the books have been really entertaining, to the point I'll occasionally stop throughout the day and read a couple chapters instead of just reading before bed like I normally would.
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Dec 22 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, The Dark Tower series is good and Wolves is particularly interesting.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Dec 23 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:

Yeah it was very interesting. I finished it last night so I'm on to Song of Susannah now. I have so many theories about how the series is going to end and I'm getting really excited to find out if I'm right or if it is going to be something I never even expected.
justdrop
Title: Supreme Overlord
PostPosted: Jan 11 2012 02:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Beach Bum wrote:
Black Zarak wrote:

Yeah it was very interesting. I finished it last night so I'm on to Song of Susannah now. I have so many theories about how the series is going to end and I'm getting really excited to find out if I'm right or if it is going to be something I never even expected.

As someone who was waiting for each book's release since Wizard & Glass, I can tell you that the ending is fitting. I wasn't happy with it at first, but when you realize the new things, it's reassuring.

Edit: Currently reading Seekers of the Chalice by Brian Cullen, Dune by Frank Herbert, and Lisey's Story by Stephen King.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."- Winston Churchill

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 11 2012 05:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am currently reading Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. It is a Star Wars novel set in the time period between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. So far it is a good read, but that's to be expected as Zahn writes some of the best Star Wars novels.

aika
Title: Narcissist
PostPosted: Jan 11 2012 05:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading U is for Undertow but... I seem to have lost the book. I have no idea where it is. I checked my room, my car... I swear it just disappeared. Fuck.

天上天下唯我独尊

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 02:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just finished both The Mysterious Island (personal read) and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (required reading for class.)

Holy fuck is Mysterious Island a really good book if you need to fall asleep quickly. I'm normally a damn fast reader but it took me nearly a week to slog through it because I passed out 6 times reading it and I normally like Verne. I even managed to fall asleep through the big plot twist because it was such an underwhelming one that I think my brain just shut off. He gets so damn wordy in the book and describes mundane events in such detail that half the book is spent describing everyday events in the characters' lives. The few times there is any real action it is fairly quickly over and back to describing how these people seem to have everything they could ever want on this deserted island. At least it was free on Kindle I guess, it almost felt like work to finish it.

As to Wizard of Oz, it is completely different from the movie, but very entertaining. A two hour read at most, because it is very short. Certainly was worth the read and definitely made me feel better after the punishment I put myself through with The Mysterious Island.

I think I'm going to try to start and finish Treasure Island before my Lit class gets onto our next book after Wizard of Oz.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 02:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

i remember reading the Mysterious Island in spanish way back in the day. it was an abridged version, so it didnt feel so tedious to read.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 02:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it is one of the books I never saw an abridged version for as a kid or I'd have stayed away from it. I'm in the process of reading the full version of all the books I enjoyed the abridged versions of as a kid, or at least the ones that are free on Kindle. I kind of feel bad bashing the book, because I loved Journey to the Center of the Earth and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I'm not sure how anyone can read that and not fall asleep. It almost reads like a late 1800's science book.
@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 03:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just finished reading the Thrawn trilogy of Star Wars novels by Timothy Zahn. The last time I read them was back when they each came out. Always a good read.

Kacen
PostPosted: Jan 25 2012 06:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Revolt Against the Modern World by Julius Evola

Sloop Up!™ for Mobile Sloops™ Weekdays at 4:00 PM!

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 26 2012 04:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I finished Treasure Island last night, really damn short book, but it wasn't bad. Still got another week until I need to start reading my next book for Lit.

I think we are doing something called Lemon Jelly Cake next. I'm not sure if I should read it now and get it done or if I should start on Ivanhoe which is the next book on my list of stuff to read. If I can't decide I'll just read a couple chapters of each and go from there.
vikkiverka
PostPosted: Jan 29 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Sun Dog, Stephen King
Black Zarak
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 01:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm reading the collected TPB of Batman: Hush. I already know the big reveal, but it's still a pretty cool story so far.

@om*d
PostPosted: Jan 30 2012 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Currently reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. So far, it is really good.

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Feb 03 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

I literally just finished Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King.

Good God.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Feb 03 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't a fan, so much, which was disappointing considering how much I enjoyed Brautigan's character in The Dark Tower.
Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Feb 04 2012 01:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fighter_McWarrior wrote:
I wasn't a fan, so much, which was disappointing considering how much I enjoyed Brautigan's character in The Dark Tower.

Well, I liked that part too, but I tried not to zone in too much on that one aspect. Ted is one of those characters that is supposed to remain enigmatic and mysterious, I guess.

It's one of those things that, while you're reading it, it's hard to remember you're not in the 1960's (even for me, who was born about 30 years later). It has some interesting over tones... and touches on King's evident feelings that, in short, claim that whatever the Baby Boomers were trying to do, they failed. Which I find amusing, considering he /is/ a baby boomer.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Feb 06 2012 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Currently reading God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, one of the few Vonnegut books I haven't read yet. It's starting out slow, but that's usually when I enjoy Vonnegut's work the most. My favorite books are the ones where he just completely catches me off guard.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Reply to topic

Jump to: