"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Dangerously Similar Music

Reply to topic
Buzz_Killington
Title: The Kill That Buzzes
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while, but I have been distracted (see the Video Games portion of the website). This thread is for songs (or portions of songs) that you find to be almost as if they copied and pasted them. No, I'm not talking about covers and I'm not going to bother doing the Youtube links or embed them because I am horrible at that.

The first two I picked up on randomly were songs from the bands Breaking Benjamin and The Used (yeah, yeah, pop metal, shut up.) The first was the intro to Follow by Breaking Benjamin and the second was the intro to Pretty Handsome Awkward.

The second batch I happened to pick up on while in the car with my girlfriend, there is an acoustic guitar solo near the end of Arriving Somewhere But Not Here by Porcupine Tree (around the 9 minute mark I think) and the whole entire song Soldier of Fortune by Deep Purple. It sounds more like the Opeth cover of Soldier of Fortune (maybe because of Mikael Akerfeldt's influence in the album).

This signature is false. This Is A Joke

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 02:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever I hear Hell's Bells (AC/DC) come on the radio I mistake the intro for the intro to For Whom the Bell Tolls (Metallica). Just the first 1 or 2 seconds, though.

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 02:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The first time I heard Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now", my first thought was that they totally ripped off the Alan Parson's Project's "Eye In The Sky".

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The first few seconds lead you to believe you're going to hear Pink Floyd's Shine on you crazy Diamond.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Boonjovi
Title: Electric Sex Pants
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 06:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's the exact same note on the exact same tone...

"If you try to fix violence, with more violence, all you do is create violence" - Tom DeLonge.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When either "No One Like You" or "Rock You Like a Hurricane," come on, I have to wait a few seconds to recognize it because the guitar intros both sound alike.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Jack Slater
Title: Friendly Felon
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of Breaking Benjamin, check out their song Until The End and then check out Hermod's Ride To Hel Part 1 by Amon Amarth. It's like BB just almost completely ripped off the intro from AA and dropped every other note.

Cause that's how I roll bounce.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The opening of Part 2 of Green Day's Jesus Of Suburbia, City of the Damned, which starts with "At the center of the Earth, in the parking lot", sounds eerily similar to the verse section of the Motley Crue song "On The With Show".

The main guitar riff in Papa Roach's Last Resort has often been accused of ripping off Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name".
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Jack Slater
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How about The Offspring's "She's Got Issues" and 38 Special's "Hold On Loosely"? Those are so similar I can't believe it's coincidence.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 09:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've always felt that Kid Rock's American Badass ripped off Metallica's Sad but True. The notes sound almost identical though it isn't quite as heavy, just another reason to hate Kid Rock right?
Jack Slater
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 09:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not really. At least Kid Rock's version doesn't repeat the same riff for five minutes straight. Wait, am I thinking of Sad But True, or every single Metallica song ever?

The riffs are damn similar though, you're right on that.

Boonjovi
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The opening of Part 2 of Green Day's Jesus Of Suburbia, City of the Damned, which starts with "At the center of the Earth, in the parking lot", sounds eerily similar to the verse section of the Motley Crue song "On The With Show".

The part that says "City of the Damned, at the end of another lost highway" sounds a bit like the vocal melody from Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams.

"If you try to fix violence, with more violence, all you do is create violence" - Tom DeLonge.

JRA
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The main guitar riff in Papa Roach's Last Resort has often been accused of ripping off Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

Which is inaccurate. That riff is actually from the instrumental Genghis Khan from the Killers album.

So technically Maiden ripped themselves off with that one.

They would also reuse it in Infinite Dreams.

and Kid Rock "sampled" Sad But True. even though his band plays the music that way live. Confused

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Jan 03 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll point out the obvious with "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga and "Express Yourself" by Madonna.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Boonjovi wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

The part that says "City of the Damned, at the end of another lost highway" sounds a bit like the vocal melody from Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams.

And there's a part at the end of the song that sounds Ring of Fire, particularly the Social Distortion version.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Thunderhorse
Title: This is DELICIOUS!
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 03:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Firewater from Dead Rising 2 Off the Record sounds exactly like Metallica's Sad but True due to the rhythm of the vocals and the main chorus riff.

This Is Tuna With Bacon

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 06:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Diamond Dallas Page's Self High Five theme music sounds like Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

snilbog
Title: The Original Boogeyman
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 09:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Every single Chuck Berry song.

Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

snilbog wrote:
Every single Chuck Berry song.

No.

snilbog
Title: The Original Boogeyman
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, at least the intros.

Boonjovi
PostPosted: Jan 04 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Boonjovi wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:

And there's a part at the end of the song that sounds Ring of Fire, particularly the Social Distortion version.

Green Day's "Waiting" and "Downtown" by Petula Clark or something.
"Basket Case" and "Canon".
"When I Come Around" and every pop song ever.
"Warning" and "Picture Book" by the Kinks.

Green Day are notorious for this.

Also, tell me what this sounds like:

Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Jan 05 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Flogging Molly's Another Bag of Bricks strait up stole the instrumentals for a Pogues song called Turkish Song of the Damned. It's the same song, note by note.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Jan 06 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

There is a reason why Green Day songs sound the same which is the same reason as to why I don't really listen to too much traditional punk. The songs are just all power chords with the same patterns.

This is difficult to explain but basically all Green Day songs are based around for example:

American Idiot: the main riff starts on: 4th fret on top string, then moves to 4th the string below and then 2nd fret on the top string then 4th fret on string below then 4th and 2nd on top string.

That is the basic pattern of every Green Day song. It must moves in a triangle shape. There's a chord on one fret then the fret directly below then usually two frets on either of those strings to the left and right.

Then take more examples: She: starts on 4th fret of below string, then 2nd fret of the same string then 2nd fret on the top.

Walking contradiction: 4th fret on top string, 4th fret on string below then 2nd fret on top string. Notice that these are the exact same chords of American idiot.

Jaded: 4th fret on top string, 2nd fret on top string then 4th fret on the string below.

JAR: 4th fret on below string, 4th fret on top string, 2nd fret on top string.

When i come around throws in a slight difference. 2nd fret on top string, 4th fret on below string, 8TH fret on below string then 2nd fret.

Are you noticing a pattern here?
Cameron
PostPosted: Jan 06 2012 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So what you're saying is that Green Day songs reach Yngwie Malmsteen-levels of technical prowess? Razz

Jack Slater
PostPosted: Jan 06 2012 05:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Clearly Green Day are engaged in some kind of Satanic audio sorcery.

Reply to topic

Jump to: