SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Metallica and Lou Reed record an album? What the shit?

Reply to topic
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Sep 30 2011 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/music/lou-reedmetallica-collaboration-create-lulu/

Apparently, they have an album coming out on November 1st. Seriously.

And this song sounds like ass.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Sep 30 2011 07:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard a preview, and yeah, it was nasty. He did a really good song with Gorillaz on the Plastic Beach album.

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Sep 30 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What the fuck is this shit? No... just no.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 03:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I actually quite like this...

The sludgey riff is great. The spoken word stuff i guess is an acquired taste.

The problem with this is that the Metallica fanbase are one of the worst fanbases of all time and this i can say with absolute certainty this will get shit on by them.

If Metallica release an album and it isn't like their first three albums it gets shit on.

Black album - gets shit on - derp ballad songs
Load - gets shit on - boohoo they cut their hair, not metal
Reload - shit on - see above
St. Anger - definitely shit on - shitty drums, where's the solos cause it's lyk dur metal.

Even fucking Death Magnetic which was a sort of revival of the old style is shit on. You would think that after 20 fucking years Metallica fans might realise that they aren't going to make another MoP or RtL.

EDIT: Just look at the shit on the video..

"Lou Reed ruined Metallica". Literally worst fanbase ever.

Metallica agreed to work with Lou Reed. Not only are they the worst but clearly the least intelligent.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 05:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The hell?

Let's have David Byrne do an album with Motorhead, while we're at it. That makes about as much sense.
Criss
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 07:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:

The problem with this is that the Metallica fanbase are one of the worst fanbases of all time and this i can say with absolute certainty this will get shit on by them.

If Metallica release an album and it isn't like their first three albums it gets shit on.

St. Anger - definitely shit on - shitty drums, where's the solos cause it's lyk dur metal.

Even fucking Death Magnetic which was a sort of revival of the old style is shit on. You would think that after 20 fucking years Metallica fans might realise that they aren't going to make another MoP or RtL.

Maybe if Black/Load/Reload/Death combined had half the quality of the music on Kill-Justice, then I'd be a fan of those albums.

Hell, you could compare them to Megadeth, as Megadeth went through similar "commercial" periods, and imo Megadeth did (and still do) blow Metallica away.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 07:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Criss wrote:
Maybe if Black/Load/Reload/Death combined had half the quality of the music on Kill-Justice, then I'd be a fan of those albums.

Hell, you could compare them to Megadeth, as Megadeth went through similar "commercial" periods, and imo Megadeth did (and still do) blow Metallica away.

Implying Kill 'em All and Justice for All weren't commercially successful? Also implying early Metallica wasn't a commercial heavy metal band? Kill 'em All sold 3 million copies and they were on fucking Elektra records, it's not like they were on some obscure record label or an underground heavy metal band even back then.

Criss
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What I mean is, the common mentality is they "sold out" around Black-era on, hence the hate.

That to me doesnt factor into it, at least fully. I base it on the quality of songs and, barring a few exceptions, Black/Load/Reload/Anger/Death severely lack quality songs imo, and especially against Kill to Justice, it becomes apparent. Theres an audience sure that 100% love Black-on, I'm just not one of them and I honestly don;t see that changing if I havent cared for the music that've made at all since 1992.

And Death Magnetic was nothing more than an attempt to say "Hey guys we can still do thrash! yeah!", and it woulda worked if the album didn't suck.

In a just world, Megadeth shoulda been the more popular of the two.
Fighter_McWarrior
Title: Gun of Brixton
PostPosted: Oct 02 2011 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Reading about it a bit more, I love how metalheads in comment sections are calling Metallica sellouts for this. As if collaborating with the Velvet Underground frontman is somehow a ticket to fortune.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 02 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Criss wrote:
Alowishus wrote:

You see this is the thing. You may not like the songs but they aren't bad records. Every Metallica record is overall good, even St. Anger - not as a Metallica record per se but as a metal record it is a great album.

However all Metallica albums i personally think have bad songs on them and have the "half quality songs" on them you mention.

Like you can compare say Load to Ride the Lightning.

Load has Ain't my Bitch, 2x4, Until it Sleeps, King Nothing - all really good songs. Load was their longest record at the time so it does have more filler on it compared to their other records.

Ride the Lightning is not a perfect record. Trapped under Ice and Escape are pretty mediocre songs.

Kill 'em All is the same. I personally think that songs like Phantom Lord and No Remorse are pretty mediocre as well.

...and the thing with these songs is these are the songs the fans never go on about. It's always "oh yeah! master of puppets is sweet", it's never "oh my god trapped under ice kicks so much ass".

So in that respect they are hardly perfect records and the fans just ignore it. Those albums have total shit on them as well and they totally disregard it. So the claims that the later albums have poor songs on them is total shit because the early albums have total shit on them too.

The problem with the fans of these sort of bands, be it Metallica, Slayer or Megadeth is that they latch onto one thing - fast, thrash, heavy songs. Then they just want every album to be that. For a band to progress they have to change musical style, and as we have seen their tastes/influences change over time so they won't make those same records.

Maybe Slayer is an odd exception, because they sort of have good songs but they sort of make very similar records. They have the catchy riff songs like South of Heaven, Dittohead, Raining Blood or whatever and then they have songs which are literally just boring semitone down, open string shredded songs which all sound the same with lyrics about death or some shit.

EDIT: and as for Megadeth...

In a just world, Metallica would be better. Take for example my experience with Megadeth. They are at least in Ireland a virtual unknown to everyone apart from metal fans.

If i go to a pub/club and Metallica comes on they go "oh Enter Sandman or oh Master of Puppets".

If Megadeth comes on they go "what the fuck is this shit".

IMO Megadeth have less good songs and poorer overall albums. They to me are one of those bands that release albums and then just play a greatest hits set on tour with total disregard for the new album - i.e. they just tour to make money - like AC/DC, Van Halen etc.

I don't really listen to Megadeth all that much but i own a few of their albums and they overall are mediocre albums. The fact that Megadeth is just the "Dave Mustaine show" doesn't really help either. The constant change is lineup isn't doing them any favours.

Take Peace sells.

Wake up Dead is great, i ain't superstitious is great then others are just boring songs. I know Peace sells the song is meant to be a sort of fan favorite. Here is the song in a nutshell.

Crap bassline opens, then boring chugchugchugchug riff, then a random solo for no reason, then chugchugchug, random solo, then sort of speeds up then the end.

The songs aren't bad songs by any means but they just aren't great songs and their other albums i feel are the same to this. They just don't make the sort of radio songs that Metallica make, not to say all Metallica songs are radio songs but Metallica were world superstars after the Black album and they are the songs that attracted a larger audience to them, Megadeth have no songs that do this and that is why they are doomed to semi-obscurity.

Finally to illustrate my point let's compare two set lists from Megadeth just to show that they make 1-2 hit songs from their albums and then the rest is just disregarded.

Here is a set list 2011: September:

Trust
Hangar 18
She-Wolf

Public Enemy No. 1
Head Crusher
A Tout Le Monde
Sweating Bullets
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Now here is one from 2005:

Blackmail The Universe
Set The World Afire
Hangar 18
The Scorpion
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
She-Wolf

Something That I'm Not
Angry Again
A Tout Le Monde

Die Dead Enough
Trust
Kick The Chair
Skin o' My Teeth
Return To Hangar

Back In The Day
Sweating Bullets
Tornado of Souls
Symphony of Destruction

Rattlehead
Peace Sells
Encore:

Something look familiar? Basically all the songs from the 2011 set were played in the 2005 set...

but wait a second? Didn't Megadeth release FOUR albums between 2005 and 2011? Yes they did....but wait...Megadeth are supposed to be good and all their albums are supposed to be amazing... so where are the songs from those albums? Why are they not on the set lists? If they were that great of albums they would be playing the songs....right?

This is my point. Those albums are not good albums and this is just two set lists. I could pick any other set list and the point is still true.

1998:

Intro
In My Darkest Hour

FFF
Sin
Reckoning Day
A Secret Place
Angry Again
She-Wolf
Guitar Solo
(Marty Friedman)
A Tout Le Monde

I'll Get Even
Use The Man
Trust
Almost Honest
Sweating Bullets
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells

Anarchy in the U.K.
(Sex Pistols cover)
Mechanix

Look same songs again cropping up and in 2011 it wasn't even a festival, ten song set. They just have a selection of about 10-20 good songs over the space of 13 albums which they just play to death but the rest of the material is trash or in the case of the last 2 sets, they have to play some of the songs because they are touring on the back of an album then just never play the songs again.

I don't hate Megadeth or anything, i'm not a Metallica fan boy or anything, i don't even listen to Metallica that much anymore but the set lists show my point, so i guess it's true.

EDIT2:
Just looked at Megadeths greatest hits album, i lold hard. Check out the set lists above then look at this tracklist.

1. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. Peace Sells
4. Sweating Bullets
5. Angry Again
6. A Tout Le Monde
7. Trust
8. Kill The King
9. Symphony Of Destruction
10. Mechanix (2002 Remix)
11. Train Of Consequences
12. Wake Up Dead
13. Hangar 18
14. Dread And The Fugitive Mind
15. Skin O' My Teeth
16. She-Wolf
17. Prince Of Darkness

Look familiar?
Criss
PostPosted: Oct 02 2011 08:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have no idea why you equate good setlists = good albums. You act like Metallica doesnt perform 5 new songs per tour and the rest are their "hits" cause thats what every other live act I've ever knowns done.

And your first paragraph there comes off as "hey your opinions wrong, mine is fact!". I stated every time that it was my opinion thats all, not pushing an agenda, other than to say it isnt blind-hate towards Metallica.

Some people just DON'T like the songwriting/songs in General on various Metallica albums, I wish Metallica fans would stop and just accept it before getting up in arms everytime Black album and on receives a less than steller response (seen it happen WAY too much)
Etch
Title: Intermittent Scribbler
PostPosted: Oct 03 2011 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I remember, about fifteen years ago, I was in a record store looking through the metal albums, when I was accosted by some college-age hipster douche who proceeded to ramble on and on about how terrible Metallica and the like were and how the Velvet Underground was the GREATEST BAND IN ALL OF EXISTENCE AND CAN DO NO WRONG....

I hope, wherever he is today, he is sad at this news.
Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 04 2011 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Criss wrote:
I have no idea why you equate good setlists = good albums. You act like Metallica doesnt perform 5 new songs per tour and the rest are their "hits" cause thats what every other live act I've ever knowns done.

You obviously didn't get my point. I realise my point was longwinded and probably not well explained:

If the songs on all their albums were so good they would appear more regularly on their set lists.

You see, you say that Metallica does the same but here's the thing... they don't.

Metallica play loads of songs which are not hits. Yes OBVIOUSLY every band is going to play their hit tunes but Metallica plays the songs which weren't singles or necessarily fan favorites.

For example: I've seen them play Through the Never recently - not exactly a popular one. They played the Memory Remains and Fuel when i saw them. Both from their "unpopular albums". Both songs i may add they did NOT play on their first date here, i saw them the second day.

They revolve their set lists around a lot. They just don't play the same shit over and over and over and over. Which based on the set lists is what Megadeth does. Metallica plays songs basically from all their albums, excluding perhaps Load/Reload and St. Anger.

Though on saying that Load/Reload songs do creep up from time to time.

Criss wrote:

And your first paragraph there comes off as "hey your opinions wrong, mine is fact!". I stated every time that it was my opinion thats all, not pushing an agenda, other than to say it isnt blind-hate towards Metallica.

Do you mean the first line:
"You see this is the thing. You may not like the songs but they aren't bad records. Every Metallica record is overall good, even St. Anger - not as a Metallica record per se but as a metal record it is a great album. "

If that is what you are referring to and you disagree then i am saying your opinion is wrong. Like i said you may find the songs are shit or you may not like the songs. That is irrelevant. The albums are still solid albums. No Metallica album is awful. I myself dislike loads of Metallica songs but the albums are still decent and listenable.

I am not talking about my own point of view here but merely the facts of the matter. In that respect both of our opinions are invalid.

Quote:
Some people just DON'T like the songwriting/songs in General on various Metallica albums, I wish Metallica fans would stop and just accept it before getting up in arms everytime Black album and on receives a less than steller response (seen it happen WAY too much)

Well here's my two cents for them: Suck it up. Every Metallica album receives a less than stellar response from the FANS. In terms of professionals and music critics every album has basically been given average to high reviews, never general poor reviews.

This is my point about the fact is that their albums are good.
JRA
PostPosted: Oct 05 2011 04:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Alowishus wrote:
I actually quite like this...

The sludgey riff is great. The spoken word stuff i guess is an acquired taste.

Metallica does indeed have one of the worst fanbases of all time, but not for the reasons you listed. The ones complaining aren't Metallica's fans, those are the people who've reached the age of reason. The real Metallica "fans" are the people who think Load through St. Anger are actual great albums and if you disagree with them they'll attack you like a rabid wolf. Ross Rifle could attest to this.

This idea was retarded then and it was retarded now. There's nothing wrong with Lou Reed in and of himself, but he just doesn't gel with Metallica. The above sample proves that. The whole thing is half-baked corporate rockstar bullshit anyways. I mean for God's sake, they got the idea for it while playing at a R&RHOF concert. That alone should tell you it will be shite.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Nov 29 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I still kinda like this. Like i already said most Metallica fans just know what to think of it. It's too avant garde for them. If it isn't done to death speed/thrash metal it is shit to them.

Granted it's really unexpected but the album isn't actually bad. It feels to me like a Lou Reed project with Metallica as the backing band as opposed to vice versa. With that respect you shouldn't view it as a Metallica album because it isn't.

From the man who made this:

Why are Metallica fans surprised?

Though i feel that the live version is actually better than the studio one.

It's quite simple, if you don't like spoken word music then you won't like this, in it's simplest form that is all it is. It isn't anything like OHMYGODWTFISTHIS. It's not like it's like Reeds noise album posted above. They are actually songs with structures, i don't understand why this is so hard to fathom.

It's literally Lou Reed spoken word over a repeating metal riff. Then the occasional chorus with Hetfield. It isn't the case that it's crap, it's that people don't think it's "metal" enough or they don't like it. There's a difference between not liking something and it being shit. The top comments reflect this pretty well:

"In the words of the late comedian Bill Hicks, "The fact that you don't like it or get it - That's fine. The fact that you have to try and make everybody else feel bad for liking it - THAT'S what makes you an asshole."

EDIT: Actually...ever heard this?

This and the LouMetallica is exactly the same.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 29 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a rabid Metallica fan nor am just a casual music listener. That said, it's hard to listen to. It just grates. That's really all I have to say.

@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Nov 29 2011 05:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like a crazy guy on the streets in a city ranting about random shit while a Metallica song is playing in the background. It's alright, I suppose.

JRA
PostPosted: Nov 30 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Greg the White
PostPosted: Nov 30 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's not like Lou can't still jam. This is probably my favorite track off of Plastic Beach:

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson. People love you more- oh, nevermind.

Reply to topic

Jump to: