SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
New Pearl Jam Song.

Reply to topic
Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 09:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

In light of the release of the Pearl Jam film, a new song was played on Jimmy Kimmel (i think).

It's available to download here: http://www.pj20.com/countdown/ for free - Track name "Ole".

I personally found it to be pretty average but considering i found Pearl Jams last album to be quite poor this is no surprise.
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Two only two good Pearl Jam albums were "Ten" and "Vs.", anything after that is crap.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Two only two good Pearl Jam albums were "Ten" and "Vs.", anything after that is crap.

As full albums, I agree.

Individual songs on some of the other albums were good though.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree some of the their later or i guess now "middle" albums are good.

Yield is up there with Ten and Vs. for me personally.

No Code is also decent.

Vitalogy has some crap on it, Riot Act and Binaural are similar.

Self Entitled was good and Backspacer was an abomination.

If i had to do it in order.

Ten<--->Yield, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Pearl Jam, Riot Act, Binaural, Backspacer/

Ten and Yield are interchangeable. The original mix on Ten was fucking terrible.
firebird51
Title: UnlicensedGuynecologist
PostPosted: Sep 11 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Now, I have a hypothesis:

Ed Vedder said in many of his post-Vs. interviews that he, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament didn't really want to be famous, because they believed that they would lose many of their freedoms, which is a solid fear which would later actually become a problem for them.

That being, every album released after Vs. had intentionally bad songs on it, just so they would lose mainstream popularity.

Make any sense?

The problem with quotes from the internet is that too many people believe them to be true.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Criss
PostPosted: Oct 01 2011 07:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

They don't wanna be famous? Makes no sense considering their career, as well as their hugely public "anti-Ticketmaster" stance in the 90s.

Plus you know...playing on the Kimmel show....
Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Oct 04 2011 02:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:

No.
Criss wrote:
They don't wanna be famous? Makes no sense considering their career, as well as their hugely public "anti-Ticketmaster" stance in the 90s.

I think they became alienated by the sheer amount of attention they were recieving by fans, critics, everyone right around after the Vs. album came out. I think they're a lot more okay with it now.

But anyway, I totally dig the new song. Reminds me of some of the best songs from their self-titled. Alow got me thinking on how I'd rank their albums, and I'd probably do so as follows:
Yield > Lost Dogs > No Code > Pearl Jam > Vs. > Riot Act > Ten > Vitalogy > Backspacer
Vitalogy would probably rank a lot higher if it didn't have the only three Pearl Jam songs I don't like (I think "Pry, To", "Aye Davanita" and "Stupid Mop" were seriously thrown on there to make the album sell less). Backspacer was just kind of a disappointment for me; the whole album felt brief and underdeveloped. It didn't have any of the nuances I've grown to love and expect from Pearl Jam.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Oct 04 2011 07:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Criss wrote:

We meet again.

It makes perfect sense and the reasons why have already been mentioned in this thread. The whole "we don't want to be famous" comes from the band themselves so if you disagree with it you can take it up with Vedder and co.

I am not aware if you know the history behind why. After Ten came out and obviously the whole alt. rock boom they felt that they were attracting a crowd just because of that and decided to move away and change their sound.

So they did with Vs and basically all subsequent albums. So they changed their sound to distant themselves from what they had became known as.

The anti-ticketmaster thing has nothing to do with fame whoring. It's actually to do with the fact that they disagreed with how much people were charged. Not everyone does stuff just to get publicity. Like i said they were distancing themselves.

...and still it's not like they were just going to become obscure overnight. They were still making music and still have a following and now since the grunge boom has died down, there is no problem with going on tv shows to promote their music.

HOWEVER back then and after Ten and the alt rock rise, they did not do interviews, do tv performances or make music videos.

After the videos for Ten and i'm pretty sure their next music video was 4 albums later with Do the Evolution off Yield (from 1990/1-1998) and even then, they weren't in the music video, it's totally animated.

That is what is meant by them distancing themselves not that they were going to poof out of existence, that's just ridiculous.
Boonjovi
Title: Electric Sex Pants
PostPosted: Dec 23 2011 06:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bump, but I guess there aren't many threads here anyway.

But I liked Vitalogy. Backspacer was eh for me actually. It wasn't phenomenal but if The Fixer came on the radio I wouldn't change the station. My favorites 3 are Ten, Vitalogy and Vs.

"If you try to fix violence, with more violence, all you do is create violence" - Tom DeLonge.

Alowishus
PostPosted: Dec 24 2011 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been listening to the Ten remaster recently.

It is far superior to the original pressing.

Reply to topic

Jump to: