"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
HARRY FUCKING POTTER 7.2

Reply to topic
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Jul 29 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still like the theory the Neville is the real hero of the series and Harry was just the diversion. At least until the last book...
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 29 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo, learn to use the
Code:
[spoiler]
tag.
Also, WTF are you talking about with Nigel?

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 29 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rogue Hippo wrote:
OK, I came out of this movie with some questions (SPOILERS BELOW).

-How did Nigel get the sword? All I remember is the goblin takes it... then he dies and it dissolves... then Nigel pulls it out of a bag and kills the snake. Did I miss something?

It's Neville, and they've said a couple times in the movies that the sword of Gryffindor appears to a true Gryffindor in time of need. Gryffindors are known for their bravery, and Neville proved himself by leading the student "rebellion" at Hogwart's while the three main kids wandered around aimlessly. They don't really go into that in the movie much, but it is implied. So, in the second one (Chamber of Secrets), remember when the sword shows up in the Sorting Hat? The Sorting Hat use to belong to Gryffindor (if I recall correctly) so that's why it appears there in time of need. In the movie they show Neville picking up the Sorting Hat after the first part of the battle; everything's blown to shit and it's just sitting there among the damage. They show Neville looking in the Sorting Hat for a second, and something shiny reflects off his face--the sword of Gryffindor.

Rogue Hippo wrote:
-Somehow I got it in my head that only Harry could destroy the Horcruxes but that's obviously wrong. So if anyone can destroy a horcrux and they make Voldemort incrementally weaker... then why didn't the powerful, good wizards just destroy them? Harry Potter should've been more of a secondary character.

This is yet another reason why the books are better. It's impossible to explain every little technical detail effectively.

The fact that Voldemort used Horcruxes was not common knowledge. Remember in part 6 (Half-Blood Prince) where Dumbledore needs to find out what Voldemort was asking that professor about? It was about how to create a horcrux, and he even mentions a number Voldemort is going for--seven. Now, also remember that Dumbledore was getting the FOX News treatment ever since he backed up Harry's claim that Voldemore was back. The entire 5th part (Order of the Phoenix) is about how the wizarding world falls into fear and loses faith in Dumbledore--the only person actually telling the truth.

In Part 6, Harry finally gets that memory that shows that Voldemort is interested in horcruxes. That confirms Dumbledore's fears. So he immediately sets out to get that necklace that he believes is a horcrux. He and Harry recover it, but what happens when he gets back--he gets killed. He's unable to fill anyone else in on the horcruxes. Only Harry knows about them, but he doesn't even fully understand what they are or how to destroy them.

Few can be trusted, most "good" wizards are on the run, and Harry doesn't want to put anyone else's life in danger (Mad-Eye had just been killed, Sirius was also killed previously protecting Harry...oh, and his parents) so he treks off alone (well, with Hermione and Ron who refuse to be left behind).

Harry can't just sense where they are from anywhere on the planet, either. The whole "sensing the Horcruxes thing" is an invention of the movies, I believe (I haven't read the books in a while, but I don't recall that at all). In the books they are able to better explain how Harry figures out what the horcruxes are; for the movie, they kind of went with a half-assed "if he's near one he can feel it" thing. But the diadem, for example, was seen by Harry in previous books so when he realized that Voldemort was using artifacts from all the major wizarding houses to create horcruxes, he gambled that the diadem was one.

I've rambled on too much so I'm going to shut up now. But basically the reason some stuff doesn't seem to completely make sense in the movie is because they're cramming a lot in and there's no way you're going to catch it all in one viewing; the book has the ability to thoroughly explain things so it doesn't seem all contrived.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Drew Linky
Wizard
PostPosted: Jul 29 2011 04:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Klimbatize wrote:
Harry can't just sense where they are from anywhere on the planet, either. The whole "sensing the Horcruxes thing" is an invention of the movies, I believe (I haven't read the books in a while, but I don't recall that at all). In the books they are able to better explain how Harry figures out what the horcruxes are; for the movie, they kind of went with a half-assed "if he's near one he can feel it" thing. But the diadem, for example, was seen by Harry in previous books so when he realized that Voldemort was using artifacts from all the major wizarding houses to create horcruxes, he gambled that the diadem was one.

Actually, Harry figured out about the diadem because of the connection between him and Voldemort. When Voldemort discovered Harry had been destroying horcruxes, he experienced a moment of fear and anger so powerful that Harry saw into his mind again as Voldemort mentally counted off where the remaining horcruxes would be.

Not to stub toes or anything. But I know practically everything about it, and little stuff like that bugs me. What you were saying is essentially correct though.

Finally, the Sorting Hat did in fact belong to Godric Gryffindor, which is why the sword can be pulled out of it, even though Godric gave up the hat in order to bring peace between the four founders. The sword can be pulled out by any member of the school as long as they show bravery worthy of that of a Gryffindor. I think. All I know is that the hat's allegiance belongs to the school, not to any one person.

https://discord.gg/homestuck is where you can find me literally 99% of the time. Stop on by if you feel like it, we're a nice crowd.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Jul 29 2011 07:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Drew Linky wrote:
Klimbatize wrote:

Actually, Harry figured out about the diadem because of the connection between him and Voldemort. When Voldemort discovered Harry had been destroying horcruxes, he experienced a moment of fear and anger so powerful that Harry saw into his mind again as Voldemort mentally counted off where the remaining horcruxes would be.

Not to stub toes or anything. But I know practically everything about it, and little stuff like that bugs me. What you were saying is essentially correct though.

Heh, it's not stubbing toes if you're correcting misinformation. I wasn't sure about that point, and I didn't recall it from the books at all. I'd rather someone correct me then be wrong.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

slapolakinkaido
Title: Illegitimate Son of God
PostPosted: Jul 31 2011 02:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just watched the first Harry Potter film for the first time last night. I guess I'll have to work my way up to the 7th one.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 31 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

(Harry is speaking to the head wizards)
Harry: I can see the Horcruxes. They're here, here, here and here. My friends and I want to go destroy them to stop Voldemort.
Wizards: Haha! No way! The fate of the world is at stake. If you kids went it would be a wild and dangerous adventure with a slim chance of success. We'll go instead... because we'd be fucking assholes to risk your lives, and the lives of everyone else on earth, on something that would be so incredibly easy for us.
(The wizards return about an hour later)
Wizards: Harry! I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that we've destroyed the horcruxes. They had some moderate protection which would have been a challenge for you and your friends... but it was really easy for us. The bad news is... you're the last horcrux. Sorry.
(ZAP!)
Good guys win.

The thing is, on top of what Klim said (nobody even knew about them, aside from a few people who may have had an idea, and they were very well hidden for the most part), is that while anyone with access to the proper super-destructive effects could have destroyed them, only Harry could have probably found them, Harry had a unique insight into the way he thought and acted, even discounting the Horcrux connection (it was stated explicitly by Dumbledore that Harry was a lot like Tom Riddle even). On top of that, the unique way he "took care of" the Horcrux inside himself is probably the only way he could have survived the book.

And GP, spoiler tags for a 4 year old book in a topic explicitly for talking about the movie based on it? Really? Spoilers are sort of a given here.
Tailspin
PostPosted: Oct 27 2011 04:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I sort of stopped watching the HP series after the 4th. But I keep tellin myself that one day I'm gonna watch 1-7(8?) in order one weekend, because I saw the early movies when i was younger and never understood the story much.
slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 06:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How many Harry Potter movies can you watch before you're considered a total geek? My number is 3 right now. I just watched the 3rd one last night and it wasn't bad.

photo 8cb3b4e6-805e-401d-a548-eeafdbe1a8ac_zps371d3bd5.jpg

Reinhart_x
Title: Master of nothing
PostPosted: Nov 13 2011 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got to watch the last part two nights ago. It was a fitting end to a great series, I wanted Harry to [SPOILER:ed97d81b3a] become the master of death [/SPOILER:ed97d81b3a] but I knew that wasn't going to happen so whatever. But yeah, I'd been putting off reading the last book just for the movie, now I'll have to go back and read it to fill in some of the gaps. Smile

FACT: The Battlechodes won Forum Battle 2012.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 10 2012 04:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think I'm done with these. I've now watched 4 of these and I have to say I don't think I liked the 4th one as much as the previous one. Or maybe I'm just at the 'enough's enough' point with Harry Potter in general.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 10 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

slapolakinkaido wrote:
I think I'm done with these. I've now watched 4 of these and I have to say I don't think I liked the 4th one as much as the previous one. Or maybe I'm just at the 'enough's enough' point with Harry Potter in general.

I didn't care for the 4th as much as the 3rd either. The 5-8th were very good though.

Milhouse
PostPosted: Jan 11 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

READ them. There is so much more interesting stuff in the books than the movies. I watch the movies and I can't imagine how anyone who hasn't read the book can understand what the hell is going on.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jan 12 2012 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

I read the last book and watched the last two movies. Honestly, you don't need to read the books. They have more info, but for all that it explains, you don't question the missing information unless you are looking for it.

slapolakinkaido
PostPosted: Jan 15 2012 07:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would say that if Harry Potter were interesting enough, then I might actually CARE what's in the books. But what I like most about the movies....no reading.

Beach Bum
PostPosted: Jan 15 2012 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
I read the last book and watched the last two movies. Honestly, you don't need to read the books. They have more info, but for all that it explains, you don't question the missing information unless you are looking for it.

Yeah I think that is a lot of the problem I have with the movies. I have read the books, several times in fact, and I'm constantly just going "Why'd that get left out?" I guess stuff I thought was somewhat important didn't appear the same way to the producers. I guess being oblivious to all the side plots would help, but I just have this urge to read the books of any movie based on one to get the "real" story.
Reply to topic

Jump to: