"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
MAD Magazine Article

Reply to topic
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Apr 29 2007 06:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty cool, but that mag was a major ripoff. And on the Mario Recolor, was the date on this magazine before Super Mario Brothers, because before that Luigi was just Green Jumpman or Mario, depending on the version of Mario Bros. you're playing.

On a side note, anyone read Al Jaffee's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions? I have a copy of that book, it's hilarious!

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 29 2007 06:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I used to love Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions. I was wanted to use them in actual conversation, but most of the stuff ever came up.

"Is the the end of the line?"
"No, this is the front, we're all just facing the wrong direction!"

And the magazine is from January 1990, meaning it was on store shelves at some point in December of 1989. At that point, SMB3 was a mere two months away and the American version of SMB2 had been out for 14 months and clearly shown us that Luigi was more then just a palette swap. I am fairly certain that Luigi's current character model was designed around the time SMB1 came out, or possibly while it was being developed. I definitely know that although their SMB1 sprites looked nothing like their current versions, Nintendo had always intended for Bowser and Princess Peach/Toadstool to look the way they currently do.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Char Aznable
PostPosted: Apr 29 2007 07:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah. So MAD is just fucking retarded, is all.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 30 2007 05:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
But I think the biggest clue that this computer game parody sucks is that it features two flight simulators; no one gives a shit about those things.

Great article, but I do need to point out, that although you may not be a fan of flight sims, and rip the fact that there are two flight sim computer games in the article on Page 8 (Of your article,) In 89-90, flight sims were one the the highest selling genre of games on PCs. Back then, there was nothing more realistic to play, and PCs were the only systems that had the analog control to do them justice. There were also tons of sims to choose from, such as MS Flight sim, the tons of sims from Microprose, (F-15, F19, F117A, etc) Longbow, Chuck Yeager's games (Trainer and Advanced Combat Sim), Spectrum Holobytes' Falcon 2 & 3.0, Dynamixs Aces series, Lucasarts' Secret Wepons of The Luftwaffe, Accolades Combat Aces, and alot more. (Those are all, just off the top of my head.) In the late 80s and Early 90s, there were about 15+ sims released every year.

As seen here:
http://www.migman.com/1990_combat.htm

That's just my two cents.

Typo Alert: On the Fold in page you wrote "Throw the magic of digital editing." Instead of "THROUGH the magic of digital editing."
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 30 2007 06:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm well aware that flight sims were popular back in the day, but even back then I didn't care for them. And while MAD clearly had to give the genre a tip of the hat, there's absolutely no reason they needed two parodies of it. Microsoft Flight Simulator was one of two games that the school had loaded on its Macintoshes, the other one being the far superior Oregon Trail. Personally, I always found staring at the After Dark screensaver to be way more fun than MSF. Flying toasters underwater? That's fucking crazy! Actually, now that I think of it, why the hell wasn't there an Oregon Trail variant? They could have called it Oregon Trail of Tears or something.

I think the only time I ever enjoyed played a flight simulator was during the summer between 5th and 6th grade when my family went on vacation to Virginia/Washington D.C. for nine days. The Smithsonian had a flight simulator exhibit and at that point I was going into hardcore video game withdrawl and I needed to play something, anything. A fix is a fix.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Delition
Title: That guy over there.
PostPosted: Apr 30 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah...Oregon Trail. Many a school day has been wasted on that game, and after school as well. "Oh no! My oxen have broken their legs! And ASS has fallen ill! It's all right. We just left the first city. We can start over."

I still don't think it was as good as Oregon Trail, but Odell Lake was fun as well. Trying to avoid getting eaten while trying to eat things yourself was challenging back in elementary school. Unless you were the rainbow trout, that is.

Correction: Mackinaw Trout. My memory has failed.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Apr 30 2007 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap, I had Odell Lake for C64. That game was educational and fun. "An otter approaches, what will you do?"

It still didn't hold a candle to Ducks Ahoy! though. That game was just damn cute.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 01 2007 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I totally got that issue when it came out, and while I got them regularly back then, I know it was the Mario artwork on the cover that sealed the deal. I was probably as disappointed as you were on discovering that the feature article was totally lame.

Eventually, I got to the point where I only read MAD for the Spy Vs. Spy comics.

Incidentally, it seems that MAD's old competitor, CRACKED, is making a slow comeback, mostly online.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 01 2007 01:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Michael Ian Black is currently one of Cracked's editors.

And Cracked's online comeback comes after an effort by outside investors to revitalize the magazine led to a huge fight. The investors wanted to turn Cracked into a Maxim clone, the staff didn't want that, and the magazine tanked.
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 01 2007 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maxim clone?! WTF? Ugh.

My dad actually wrote a thing for Cracked in... well, it was probably the early '90s. It was during the big boom of early generation "reality"-type shows like Rescue 911, and was a humorous prediction of what the trend was leading to. If I can find a copy of it, I'll post it.
Char Aznable
PostPosted: May 01 2007 03:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BleeeeeeeeeeeaahhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhMaximbbbbbbbbbbl
orrrgah.

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: May 01 2007 05:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Liked the article.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: May 01 2007 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Matt Frewer's best role is still "Rapist Truck Driver" in Supergirl. <3

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: May 01 2007 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only one that didn't like the article?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 01 2007 08:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt it.
Cattivo
PostPosted: May 02 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Matt Frewer's best role is still "Rapist Truck Driver" in Supergirl. <3

Aw, but I loved his role as a thieving time traveller in ST:TNG....no, wait, I didn't.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 02 2007 04:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't he also a holographic/dead weapon salesman in another episode or was that someone else?
DarkMaze
PostPosted: May 02 2007 09:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

No, I think that was Vincent Schiavelli.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 02 2007 03:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shoot, you're right. I knew it was ONE of my favorite character actors.
Chrisby
PostPosted: May 02 2007 09:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Char Aznable wrote:
On a side note, anyone read Al Jaffee's Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions? I have a copy of that book, it's hilarious!

I have that book lying around somewhere, and it is indeed funny and awesome.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 04 2007 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Going back to Cracked, here's a pretty funny feature from their site:

http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=1825
Char Aznable
PostPosted: May 06 2007 06:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also had "More Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions", but that got shredded in a bookshelf.

Reply to topic

Jump to: