"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Real Life Hate Plague (sorta)

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 08:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

The most infamous feud in American folklore, the long-running battle between the Hatfields and McCoys, may be partly explained by a rare, inherited disease that can lead to hair-trigger rage and violent outbursts.

Dozens of McCoy descendants apparently have the disease, which causes high blood pressure, racing hearts, severe headaches and too much adrenaline and other “fight or flight” stress hormones.

No one blames the whole feud on this, but doctors say it could help explain some of the clan’s notorious behavior.

“This condition can certainly make anybody short-tempered, and if they are prone because of their personality, it can add fuel to the fire,” said Dr. Revi Mathew, a Vanderbilt University endocrinologist treating one of the family members.

The Hatfields and McCoys have a storied and deadly history dating to Civil War times. Their generations of fighting over land, timber rights and even a pig are the subject of dozens of books, songs and countless jokes. Unfortunately for Appalachia, the feud is one of its greatest sources of fame.

Several genetic experts have known about the disease plaguing some of the McCoys for decades, but kept it secret. The Associated Press learned of it after several family members revealed their history to Vanderbilt doctors, who are trying to find more McCoy relatives to warn them of the risk.

One doctor who had researched the family for decades called them the “McC kindred” in a 1998 medical journal article tracing the disease through four generations.

“He said something about us never being able to get insurance” if the full family name was used, said Rita Reynolds, a Bristol, Tenn., woman with the disease. She says she is a McCoy descendant and has documents from the doctor showing his work on her family.

She is speaking up now so distant relatives might realize their risk and get help before the condition proves fatal, as it did to many of her ancestors.

Back then, “we didn’t even know this existed,” she said. “They just up and died.”

Angry tumors and tempers
Von Hippel-Lindau disease, which afflicts many family members, can cause tumors in the eyes, ears, pancreas, kidney, brain and spine. Roughly three-fourths of the affected McCoys have pheochromocytomas — tumors of the adrenal gland.

The small, bubbly-looking orange adrenal gland sits atop each kidney and makes adrenaline and substances called catecholamines. Too much can cause high blood pressure, pounding headaches, heart palpitations, facial flushing, nausea and vomiting. There is no cure for the disease, but removing the tumors before they turn cancerous can improve survival.

Affected family members have long been known to be combative, even with their kin. Reynolds recalled her grandfather, “Smallwood” McCoy.

“When he would come to visit, everyone would run and hide. They acted like they were scared to death of him. He had a really bad temper,” she said.

Her adopted daughter, another McCoy descendant, 11-year-old Winnter Reynolds, just had an adrenal tumor removed at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital. Teachers thought the girl had ADHD — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Now, Winnter says, “my parents are thinking it may be the tumor” that caused the behavior. “I’ve been feeling great since they took it out.”

Her adoptive father, James Reynolds, said of the McCoys: “It don’t take much to set them off. They’ve got a pretty good temper.

“Before the surgery, Winnter, when we would discipline her, she’d squeeze her fists together and get real angry and start hollering back at us, screaming and crying,” he said.

As for the older McCoys, “they just started dropping dead of the tumors,” he said. “They didn’t know what it was. A name wasn’t really put on the disease until 1968. That’s when one of my brothers-in-law had to have surgery, to have some tumors removed in his brain. They started to notice tumors occurring in each of the family members.”

Dr. Nuzhet Atuk at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and geneticists at the University of Pennsylvania studied the family for more than 30 years, Rita Reynolds said.

'Madness disease'
“They went back on the genealogy and all of that stuff,” she said. “They called it madness disease. They said that it had to be coming from the VHL. Our family would just go off, even on the doctors.”

Now 85 and retired, Atuk said he could not talk about his work because of medical confidentiality.

Rita Reynolds had two adrenal tumors removed a few years ago. Her mother and three brothers also had them. So do McCoy descendants in Oregon, Michigan and Indiana, she said.

“When you have these tumors, you’re easy to get upset,” said Rita’s mother, Goldie Hankins, 76, of Big Rock, Va., near the Kentucky-West Virginia border. “When people get on your nerves, you just can’t take it. You get angry because your blood pressure was so high.”

Still, many are dubious that this condition had much of a role in the bitter feud with the Hatfields, which played out in the hill country of eastern Kentucky and West Virginia for decades.

Some say the feud dates to Civil War days, when some members of the families took opposite sides. It grew into disputes over timber rights and land in the 1870s, and gained more notoriety in 1878, when Randolph or “Old Randal” McCoy accused a Hatfield of stealing one of his pigs. The hostilities left at least a dozen dead.

The whole story (2 pages) can be found here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17967965/wid/11915773?GT1=9303

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

That's way too long for me to care to read, especially if it's about the Hatfields and the McCoys. I know this has come up before, but can't people just post like 2 sentences about the article with the link?

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you're not interested enough to read it, then don't. Some people might be more interested in it, and it's a lot easier to quote a passage in a post this way.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I prefer it this was too. And that was pretty interesting. The Hatfield and McCoy feud actually dates back to prehistoric times, when the two clans were known as the Hatrocks and the Flintstones.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Chrisby
PostPosted: Apr 11 2007 05:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I found this to be an interesting little read too.
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 08:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting fact: My friend Dustin Hopper's mom is a Hatfield of THE Hatfields. And yes, they do get crazy pissed-off at the slightest thing.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 04:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait... What's a "hate plague"?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

28 Days Later.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 05:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Tebor wrote:

28 Days Later.

I thought that was a "Rage Plague". Rolling Eyes

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

See also: The Return of Optimus Prime
Chrisby
PostPosted: Apr 12 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I was always kind of pissed off that the assholes who originally unleashed it didn't get in any sort of trouble at all for almost destroying the WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE.

That's just slightly unforgivable, I think.
Reply to topic

Jump to: