"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Actor Spotlight of the Month (April)

Reply to topic
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 05 2007 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to attempt a regular thread I post to, referencing some under-acknowledged or little known actor, ideally once a month.

This month, I've chosen John Kassir:

Johnny Kassir (born October 24th, 1957 in Baltimore, Maryland) is an American actor, voice actor, and comedian who is perhaps best known for voicing the Crypt Keeper on the hit HBO show Tales from the Crypt.

Kassir played the Bulgarian kicker, Zagreb Shkenusky, for six years in the HBO comedy series 1st & Ten (TV Series), about a fictional football team. His other live action credits include sketch-acting on The Amanda Show and a portrayal of Shemp Howard in a biopic about The Three Stooges, produced by Mel Gibson, and Ralph in Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical. He was also able to get his own Pee Wee Herman style show in 1997 called Johnnytime, but it was canceled after airing for two seasons on the USA network. He starred as The Atom in the Justice League of America film. John has appeared in over a dozen feature films, starred in eight TV pilots (six of which went to series and two of which lasted on air for over six years each) and guest starred in dozens of TV series in both comic and dramatic roles.

As a standup comic, he has opened for the likes of Lou Rawls, Tom Jones, The Temptations and Four Tops on their TNT tour, Bobby Vinton, Richard Belzer, and Harry Blackstone, Jr. among others. John has also appeared on stage performing improvisation with Robin Williams.

More recently, John has specialized in voice-over work for animation, video games, and other productions. Notable in this regard has been his acting the roles of Raymundo on Rocket Power. He also provides the voice in the video games X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for fan favorite superhero/villain Deadpool. He was also featured in the very first commercial for the Nintendo cornerstone video game series The Legend of Zelda in the United States in 1986.

A few of his many theater credits include: originating the role of Kenny in Three Guys Naked From The Waist Down(also starring Scott Bakula/Enterprise), for which he was nominated for both a Drama Desk and an Outer Critics Circle award. John also originated the role of Ralph in the musical Reefer Madness, on stage and in the film version.

He provided the voice of the mischievous raccoon Meeko in Disney's 1995 animated feature Pocahontas.

He also made one voice appearance on Ben 10 as Zombozo in the episode, "Last Laugh."

Recently, he voiced the character Adam MacIntyre and others in the video game Dead Rising.

He is married to actress Julie Benz. The couple have done voice overs in the Xbox game Halo 2.

During Ed McMahon's original Star Search Kassir had beaten Rosie O'Donnell and Sinbad in the talent competition, winning the $100,000.00 Grand Prize.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Apr 05 2007 06:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You mean, he's married to the amazingly hot Julie Benz, of Vampire Darla fame?

I'm jelious. Evil
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 05 2007 07:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Go lordsathien! I love this idea. Run with it! Very Happy

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Cattivo
PostPosted: Apr 05 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Man, Benz needs to be in more things. I haven't seen her in anything since she was killed off on Angel, and that was about three years ago.

...And Kassir certainly has an impressive resume. He's like Buscemi - he's in everything.
Delition
Title: That guy over there.
PostPosted: Apr 05 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't stand him doing the voice of Deadpool.

Aside from that, everything else he has been in has been decent.

Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Apr 06 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played Marvel: Ultimate Alliance so I wouldn't know what the voice of that Deathstroke the Terminator ripoff (Deadpool) sounds like.

I actually remember some of the stuff from Johnnytime.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: