[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Syd-authorized user sign up?

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 07:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am getting fucking sick of the spam bots. I thought visual and e-mail confirmation would stop them, but apparent there's a back door.

I am considering making it so that users can only join if they authorized by me. I really don't want to do this, because when you could have to wait up to 12 hours to get your account authorized, you may get bored and forget about the site; I know that's happened to me on more than few occasions. So should I do it or no?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UltimateFierce
Title: Nippon Yankee
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 07:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Positive. I would've sure in hell waited for (even)OVER 12 hours to get into forums of one of the most coolest websites. Even if I would've missed some hot topic(Post your favorite screenshot thread anyone?) But still...

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 08:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know ow this forum works but I know with our boards, we can make it so there are questions and other extra stuff taht you have to fill out. the only question that we have is "are you a spambot" with "yes" as choice one and "no" as choice two. most spambots automatially choose the first choice. we have it set so that you have to choose "no" to register.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mar 31 2007 08:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I might be able to find a mod that can do that, but the software doesn't do it in and of itself.

That did give me an idea though. I switched around the registration template so that "I do not agree" is the first choice and "I agree and I'm over 13" in the last one. Maybe that'll trick them. If not, I'll try putting the agreement in between "do not agree" and "I'm under 13".
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

see? it's all about being sneaky to avoid spambots.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 04:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have a link to a mirror of that old joke site that would spawn infinite pop-ups and sing "You are an idiot. Ha ha ha ha ha!" I want to redirect spambots to it and hopefully crash their computers.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 04:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm against the personal approval. Might scare off would be joiners and I agree with the time issue.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Apr 01 2007 04:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I tweaked the registration page further. The registration options, in order, are:

I do not agree to these terms

I agree to these terms and am UNDER 13 years of age

I agree to these terms and am OVER or EXACTLY 13 years of age

I agree to these terms and am OVER or EXACTLY a malicious computer program

The last one redirects to the harassment site WWW.YZZERDD.COM. Sadly, the page doesn't start spawning pop-ups until you click on YES or NO, so the page won't dfuck up robots.

I also modded my robots.txt file to disallow search robots from trawling profile.php which is the page that the registration function is loaded through. That'll take awhile to cache, but that should help a little bit too.
Reply to topic

Jump to: