"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Comic help!

Reply to topic
Blackout
Title: Captain Oblivious
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 07:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I'm mulling over re building my Spider Man Collection and I'm looking for some pointers.

What were all the Spider Man lines?

I know there was Amazing and Spectacular and something I vaguely remember being called Peter Parker Web of Spider Man (or maybe my hazy memory is combining two) and the Spider Man team ups, but are there any other lines I missed? Like for instance the stuff with Spider Man 2099 and Scarlet Spider, I only had a few random issues of those. Anything else I should look in to?

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Spiderman <3's Mary Jane.

That's really all you need.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 08:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

616 spider man titles, according to professor wikipedia:
Spider man
Spectacular spider man
Amazing spider man
Web of spider man
Amazing fantasy
Marvel team up
Spider man family
New avengers
Spider man: chapter one

There are alternate universes like te amazing spider girl, ultimate spiderman, and spider man <3's Mary Jane. Are you interested in those as well?

Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dear god, this is going to be more work than I though!

Nah Mary Jane is boring, Black Cat was way cooler.

I thought I'd start small and try and get all of something more recent, like all of 2099, after researching prices I'm kicking myself for giving away stuff like first appearance of Hobgoblin and what not.

How was Secret Wars as a mini series? I only had number 8 where he first got the black suit, never read any of the other issues.

Also, aren't there black & white compilations of the older issues? I had a few older issues back in the day but I'm not laying down the money they want on ebay for some of this old shit.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Dec 26 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I really enjoyed Spiderman 2099 when Peter David wrote for it. He started the series and went through around 30 issues (maybe more). I have that series' entire run (I think it's like 45-50 issues) and I was sad to see it cancelled in the late 90s. The 2099 universe was really cool, but it expanded too much and eventually imploded. Marvel cancelled all of the them, compiled them into one series called 2099 that only lasted like 8 issues. It was nearly unreadable.

Still, the Spiderman 2099 character was great and was easily the best thing to come out of that time period, though Doom 2099 was great as well.

If you can get all the 2099s (and they should be fairly cheap, I think all are only worth their face value) then that would be a good start. But realize it has virtually nothing to do with the Peter Parker version of Spiderman. There are a lot of great callbacks to the 'regular' Marvel Universe, with updated version of old foes as well as some good new ones, so it's better if you're at least familiar with the basic history of Spiderman.

There's also a huge guide to Spiderman. I think it's called "The Ultimate Guide to Spiderman" or something. I own it (I'll look up the exact title when I get home) and it's great because it goes through the entire history of Spiderman, decade by decade.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sorry, but if teenage romance peppered with lame jokes like this aren't appealing to you, you're obviously evil.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1928/1199428667739lb3.jpg

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 01:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like SMLMJ but only for the art. Mary Jane is the ultimate mary sue character. For most of the series her only problem is that EVERYONE loves her.

Blackout
PostPosted: Dec 27 2010 04:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just saw the entire run of 2099 on ebay for like 75 bucks, might snag that as a start.

Also after perusing coverbrowser and cross checking ebay for prices I realized that 90% of my collection was from the 1976 run of The Spectacular Spiderman, which is pretty cheap to save a few random issues here or there. I'll probably start building those back up as well.

*edit, the Mary Jane link was cute, also I want to get The Assassination Plot series that ran in Amazing Spiderman during the late 80s, maybe the full run of Secret Wars too.

Reply to topic

Jump to: