"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
24 Hour Comic Challenge: The Rematch

Reply to topic
AtmanRyu
Title: The Wandering Dragon
PostPosted: Sep 30 2010 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's kind of last minute, even for myself, but tomorrow (Friday) at 9:30 am, I'll attempt once again the 24 hour challenge, this time a little wiser.

For those not familiar with what the 24 hour challenge, you can always google it.

That being said, I'll be seeing you Saturday morning with the results.
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Sep 30 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck to you Sir!
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 06:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't your last run 13 hours?

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Sehkmaenzo
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Get a confortable chair Very Happy
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 09:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
For those not familiar with what the 24 hour challenge, you can always google it.

Or...you could tell us.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Oct 01 2010 08:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Quote:

Or...you could tell us.

He mass-posted that to all his things like deviantart, livejournal, and facebook.

A 24-hour comic is a 24-page comic book written, drawn, and completed in 24 hours. Scott McCloud originally came up with the challenge for himself and Steve Bissette as a creative exercise. McCloud drew the first 24-hour comic to prove it could be done on August 31, 1990, and Bissette did his on September 5.

Word of the challenge slowly spread, especially as Dave Sim started publishing his own 24-hour comics in the back of his popular Cerebus the Aardvark. Eventually Scott McCloud had collected six 24-hour comics on his website from different, well-known comic-creators. Creators Erik Larsen and Chris Eliopoulos published their 24-hour stories together in the one-shot comic Image-Two-In-One featuring The Herculean and Duncan ("The Herculean" being Larsen's creation, and "Duncan" being Eliopoulos').

Rules

As originator of the challenge, Scott McCloud has established rules for a comic to qualify: It must be begun and completed within 24 consecutive hours. Only one person may be directly involved in its creation, and it must span 24 pages, or (if an infinite canvas format webcomic is being made) 100 panels.

The creator may gather research materials and drawing tools beforehand, but cannot plan the comic's plot ahead of time or put anything on paper (such as designs and character sketches) until he is ready for the 24 hours to begin. Any breaks (for food, sleep, or any other purpose) are counted as part of the 24 hours.

If the cartoonist fails to finish the comic in 24 hours, there are two courses of action suggested: Stop the comic at the 24-hour mark, or continue working until all 24 pages are done. The former is known as "the Gaiman variation" after Neil Gaiman's unsuccessful attempt, and the latter is called "the Eastman variation" after Kevin Eastman's unsuccessful attempt. Scott McCloud calls both of these "noble failures", which he will still list on his site as long as he believes that the creator intended to finish the project within the specified amount of time.

To be officially recognised as a "24 hour comic" or a "noble failure", the cartoonist is required to submit a copy of the resultant comic to Scott McCloud.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Oct 02 2010 03:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I should have posted this sooner but...

SUCCESS!!!

*does a little jiggy*

I was able to do all 24 pages with 2 hours to spare!

Quality did suffer a little, but that was to be expected. Regardless, I'm so happy that I was able to complete it.

The professors have the originals for later judging (for prizes), but I was able to scan them before that, so later on I'll post a pdf with all files cleaned up.

Regardless whether I win something or not, it was a great day for my confidence Very Happy

With that said...

*THUD!!!* Zzzz...
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Oct 03 2010 01:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

Are you going to send it to scott mccloud.

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Oct 03 2010 09:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
Are you going to send it to scott mccloud.

I asked about it, but it appears that Scott stopped doing it as they were too many for him to keep up with.

I am gonna post them soon however.
AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Oct 04 2010 02:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

And as promised, here's the link for the comic in PDF format:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12660550/SEQA_Folder/EGS_24_hours.pdf

I think I'll make a mini comic out of it.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Oct 04 2010 05:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

How do they enforce the 24 hours thing? Someone work on it days in advance and they'd never know the difference, right?
Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Oct 04 2010 09:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well yeah but assumning someone isn't keeping tabs it seems to be mostly a personal challenge and it would be mostly lying to yourself.

AtmanRyu
PostPosted: Oct 04 2010 02:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Optimist With Doubts wrote:
Well yeah but assumning someone isn't keeping tabs it seems to be mostly a personal challenge and it would be mostly lying to yourself.

Exactly.

Normally this would be something that you can do on your own, but it's usually prefered to work in groups at places sponsoring the event, as not only you'll keep tabs at each other to ensure fair play, but also to provide mutual moral support.
Reply to topic

Jump to: