"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My band!

Reply to topic
Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Aug 20 2010 06:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So, yeah, I started a band a few months back. Gimme feedback.

http://hmheroines.bandcamp.com

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 20 2010 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was interesting, I think for the first song the 3min 30 sec one. Less is more at times... It felt like i kept transitioning into pieces that could be the beginning of a whole new song. Which is fine. I liked what we had going on around 1:10ish in the song.

Maybe use some music software to play with each part of that song... I feel at times you have too much. The first part that main beat overwhelmed everything else.

On song #2 the one with lyrics.. Maybe if you could make the voice a bit clearer, voice sounded decent though.

I guess I thought it was alright, but as not a music expert, only real piece of advice i can give is less can be more. Listen to other music people are doing and it'll perhaps allow you to see tools to express yourselves the way you want to.

----

Jon Snow delving into MUSIC THEORY LAND:

I'm going to add.. this is me branching off into theory land, I think there's some truth in it, but i honestly don't really pay that much attention to music:

IF you can first create a pace in the background that is maintained may help the listener follow the song. Then build things around that steady beat. Secondly create patterns that rest on top of that beat. The patterns can be of different lenghts just have them repeat. We can have a dun dun Bam.. dun dun Bam pattern going on. Then having a longer seperate pattern going on as well. Sometimes the ends of those patterns can coincide.. then you can mix it up a little and on one of the Bams.. you just keep going BaM BAM BAM indicating a change of pace.. build up to a big event.. then die it all back down again.

I don't know.. I'm more or less trying to decompose the sound, but I'm sure if you do it that way you'd end up with something super simple. Maybe start that way then build off it, and go by ear as to what sounds good.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty crunchy and groovy. I can dig it, it has a very Nine Inch Nails feel to it.

What role do you play in the band?

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Listen to the beginning of this song:

Note how they have the layers of patterns. They have their central re-occuring beat. Actually they have two they have the bass beat and then that higher pitched short pattern.

That doesn't mean you all songs have to be that way, or your song has to be. I really think playing music is like telling story. That main beat is the main character it gives us something to relate to through the whole song, and carries us into the next sequence, and you can transistion off that steady pattern, and add around it. Have it dampen (go to to really soft sound) then re-emerge and were back to what we listeners know.

If that sounds complete bonkers to you, then basically I think there's potential in what you're doing use some tweaking though. Listen to things you like and try to find what is it about it that you like. Maybe can use those concepts in your work. [/quote]

Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Snow, you know nothing about music and you sound pretentious as fuck. Just quietly exit the thread.

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Nekkoru
Title: Polish Pickle Wench
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Andrew, I play guitar and help out with the production. I also program the drum machines sometimes.

As for you, JonSnow, I don't want to sound mean, but I know what I'm doing. I've been doing it all my life. You've got no experiece at all, so yeah. As my dad used to say, "Don't teach a father how to impregnate ladies."

You should totally check out the IRC channel.
While you're at it, go check out my band, Her Majesty's Heroines.
Cameron wrote:
I now bestow upon you the title of Most Awesome Person. Very Happy

docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

JonSnow wrote:
but i honestly don't really pay that much attention to music.

If this is true, you should refrain from posting in the Music forums. They are for Music discussion. If you honestly don't pay attention to music, then why the fuck are you posting in this thread?

Oh and Nekky, I'm enjoying your music currently. I'm diggin it.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I also like how Snow uses the Verve as a big example of excellent music. Other than the irritating as shit Bittersweet Symphony, I don't really know anyone who can name one of their songs. Not to mention that they get confused all the time with the Verve Pipe, another garbage band. Nekk, I dig it. Makes me think of what Throbbing Gristle would make if they were 1% happier and stuck in a video game. Keep it up, and I'll keep listening.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Aug 21 2010 01:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
As for you, JonSnow, I don't want to sound mean, but I know what I'm doing. I've been doing it all my life. You've got no experiece at all, so yeah. As my dad used to say, "Don't teach a father how to impregnate ladies."

Sorry, I was just throwin' out ideas willy nilly. Like I said I don't know music that well, it sounded right as i said it. Letting my instincts and intuition guide me there. Aeonic the point of that song wasn't whether it was good just illustrating the point i was feebly constucting, since it's the first time i've ever really tried to fundamentally talk about music.

I have a beleif that all expression can be undertood as communication, books, music, painting etc...

Anyway.. good job Nekko, I did listen to it all, so you should consider it in that way a success. It's not normally music I would listen to, and I personally felt a lot was happening. It was alright, it WASN'T painful to listen, it was decent.... but thats my overall thoughts. Maybe andrewman or other musically inclinded peers can offer you better feed back : ).

I love you father's quote... so full of wisdom Very Happy. "Don't teach a father of 10 how to impregnant women... DAMMIT woman!"

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Aug 23 2010 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nekkoru,

I gave 345923​ and ​Floor a listen.

For me, it isn't the type of music I enjoy listening to, however, I still felt like it had a good beat and was mixed pretty well. I imagine that for someone who was into that type of music, it would be well received.

walterhunt
PostPosted: Sep 05 2010 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really dig it. It's noisy, but in a good way. 345923 blew my mind all over the place with it's insane shifts and screaming synths (and I loved it). Floor had a cool groove that kept teasing me and an awesome vibe. And the singing reminded me of TV on the Radio.

Also, I really dig your name AND the cool logo.
Why don't you give some of my noise a listen?
nobel11.bandcamp.com
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 05 2010 02:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

I liked the tail end of 345923 most from the song.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Reply to topic

Jump to: