[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Horror movie idea: Director's Cut

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 01:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'm not talking about the obscure direct-to-video horror-comedy released in 2003, I have a much better idea that could use that title.

The premise is this: It starts off with a guy, let's call him Johnny Writer because I'm too lazy to come up with a good protagonist name right now. Johnny is an independent filmmaker and script writer who dreams of making it big. When the Bagel Brothers (a barely fictionalized version of the Weinsteins) buy his favorite movie script and offer him the chance to direct it, he jumps at the chance. But his elation soon turns to misery as the producers override his casting choices, alter the script, and recut his film. After seeing the final cut of the film, Johnny launches a negative PR campaign against it. This offends the Bagel Brothers so much that they have him killed, because that's what Hollywood producers do. Johnny's body is never found and his mysterious disappearance catapults the movie to a strong opening weekend where it takes #1 at the box office. The end.

Wait, no.

Johnny rises from the grave to exact revenge not only on the Bagel Brothers, but on all of Hollywood's greatest monsters. In addition to the Weinsteins, Johnny go after thinly disguised versions of the following people:

Martin Lawrence
Uwe Boll
Tom Cruise
Shawn and Marlon Wayans
M. Night Shyamalan

And probably some women too, so as not to be sexist.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 01:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
No, I'm not talking about the obscure direct-to-video horror-comedy released in 2003, I have a much better idea that could use that title.

The premise is this: It starts off with a guy, let's call him Johnny Writer because I'm too lazy to come up with a good protagonist name right now. Johnny is an independent filmmaker and script writer who dreams of making it big. When the Bagel Brothers (a barely fictionalized version of the Weinsteins) buy his favorite movie script and offer him the chance to direct it, he jumps at the chance. But his elation soon turns to misery as the producers override his casting choices, alter the script, and recut his film. After seeing the final cut of the film, Johnny launches a negative PR campaign against it. This offends the Bagel Brothers so much that they have him killed, because that's what Hollywood producers do. Johnny's body is never found and his mysterious disappearance catapults the movie to a strong opening weekend where it takes #1 at the box office. The end.

Wait, no.

Johnny rises from the grave to exact revenge not only on the Bagel Brothers, but on all of Hollywood's greatest monsters. In addition to the Weinsteins, Johnny go after thinly disguised versions of the following people:

Martin Lawrence
Uwe Boll
Tom Cruise
Shawn and Marlon Wayans
M. Night Shyamalan

And probably some women too, so as not to be sexist.

There's potential there, but the third act is kinda weak. The overall story sounds like the first 10 minutes instead of first hour and what is the theme? If you screw people in Hollywood a zombie will kill you?

If I were a studio executive I'd give you: "Another Lunch".

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 01:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're right about the third act. Chronologically, it should climax with him finally killing the producers, and perhaps lead up to it with the other Hollywood types getting killed. At some point in the film, one of the producers could give an exposition about how Hollywood is about making money, not about artistry. So Johnny would start his rampage by going after stars who worked the producers' studio, in order to financially wreck them before finally killing them. I don't know if the film would really have a message, but it would sure as hell entertain anyone who was angered and confused when Big Momma's House 2 was #1 at the box office.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 02:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll finance that. I've got... uh... $12.50. Go, do!

I'm curious: why the beef with Shyamalan? The over-hype? Additionally, killing Uwe Boll should be its own movie, and zombies are too good for him. He needs a nice ironic death, but I'm not clever enough to think of one.

Although I guess with "House of the Dead", zombies aren't really that far off the mark...
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 02:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Let me do this Hollywood pitch style.

Think of " Friday the 13th" meets "Se7en" meets "Get Shorty". No, no. Hear me out.

So we're in Hollywood, right? And there are these celebrity MURDERS happening. Like, fucking violent-ass gory-as-shit Hard R murders. And they're ironic, too! Like, Shaw and Marlon Wayans are drowned in a vat of boiling bleach after being castrated -- now they really ARE "White Chicks". But there are these lessers guys being murdered, too. Just random Hollywood nobodies.

So we've got a cop, a grizzled, world-weary Stephen Dorf kinda dude. He's investigating all these killings and he slowly figures out that the "lesser" murders all involve people who worked on this one movie (you can name it whatever the hell you want!). Like, the writer/director disappeared and was later found dead and all these people are dead by association. So the cop, he starts to crawl his way up the seedy underbelly of Hollywood to figure out what the hell is going on.

Now, this is great. See, we've given you a red herring, because it turns out that the killer is the dead writer/director who's come back to life after being murdered by the Bagel Brothers, the producers of the movie. In one spiraling "twist" you get the whole ugly backstory - the writer was an indie who dreams of making it big. The brothers bought the script and let him direct, but then cut it to SHIT and reshot a lot of stuff. Naturally, the director got pissed and started slamming the film in the press, leading to his arranged murder by the brothers. Of course, now he's an undead maniac, and he's getting revenge on all of Hollywood, which is why all these awful "celebrities" are getting axed, too.

To keep the audience in suspense, though, you don't unveil the undead thing until like the last ten minutes. The cop has figured everything out and knows that the Bagel Brothers are next. He races to the studio only to find them already captured by the undead director. But by now, the audience almost sympathizes with the guy, because you realize how badly he's been fucked over. So he kills the brothers IN FRONT OF the cop and then moves in on him, too. You close unsure of whether the cop dies or not. Instant sequel.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
I'm curious: why the beef with Shyamalan? The over-hype?

It is the overhype to an extent, but not entirely. The Sixth Sense received huge hype when that first came out, but I really enjoyed that one. His movies since then just haven't been as good in my opinion. They have just been too allegorical for my taste. And Signs had its fair share of plotholes. But he's certainly no Uwe Boll, and it was rather awful of me to mention him in the same list.

greeneyedzeke wrote:
To keep the audience in suspense, though, you don't unveil the undead thing until like the last ten minutes. The cop has figured everything out and knows that the Bagel Brothers are next. He races to the studio only to find them already captured by the undead director. But by now, the audience almost sympathizes with the guy, because you realize how badly he's been fucked over. So he kills the brothers IN FRONT OF the cop and then moves in on him, too. You close unsure of whether the cop dies or not. Instant sequel.

I love it. OK, now we just need several millions dollars to make it. And an actual script.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 03:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
It is the overhype to an extent, but not entirely. The Sixth Sense received huge hype when that first came out, but I really enjoyed that one. His movies since then just haven't been as good in my opinion.

Say what you will, I thought Unbreakable is his best film. Superheroes rule! At least it better than those "X-Men" films... where's the spandex?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Feb 28 2006 04:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
It is the overhype to an extent, but not entirely. The Sixth Sense received huge hype when that first came out, but I really enjoyed that one. His movies since then just haven't been as good in my opinion.

Say what you will, I thought Unbreakable is his best film. Superheroes rule! At least it better than those "X-Men" films... where's the spandex?

Yeah, Unbreakable's not super bad. My main beefs are with Signs and The Village.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Mar 01 2006 03:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I actually put Unbreakable up there on the list of worst movies I've ever seen. It's no Urban Legend, but it's up there. Syd, I think we could make this happen, and I don't think we need much of a bankroll to do it. If there was ever a time for a donate button on the site, this is it.

Oh, and leave the script to me...

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Mar 01 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

"Unbreakable" seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it flicks. I really enjoyed it.

Honestly, I also enjoyed "Signs" and "The Village", but I don't think they'd stand up to a repeat viewing. "Signs" kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through, but the moment I stepped out the door of the theater, I was suddenly hit by the plot holes big enough to drive a semi through.
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Mar 03 2006 01:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I just remember freaking the fuck out when you see the alien in the home video for the first time.

Reply to topic

Jump to: