"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Me, you and Photoshop

Reply to topic
Burt Reynolds
Title: Bentley Bear
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 07:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so I'm a graphic designer by trade, and often times given my place of work, I find myself bored with short deadlines and very mundane non-creative work orders about 60% of the time. If I were to give little tutorials on photoshop, would anyone be interested? I've been working on Photoshop for about 15 years and am willing to share my wealth of knowledge to those interested.

Here is a recent example. I tend to go lite on the "filters" as the discerning eye can usually pick those out instantly, so a lot of my work is either full on illustration, or in the case of following example, a photo with most of the details hand brushed using as few filters as possible. My intention was to make this photo look like me as a 70's child molester in honor of my newly grown molestache.

Original (with red levels adjusted. Hey, it was done on a camera phone)

After:

Dances with Wolves 2 is gonna ROCK!

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 09:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i would be down for that.

and get a haircut, hippie

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

sidewaydriver
2010 SLF Tag Champ
Title: ( ͡� &#8
PostPosted: Jul 01 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question about photoshop. Where do I get photoshop without paying?

Shake it, Quake it, Space Kaboom.

Optimist With Doubts
Title: Titlating
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Various torrent sites, they typically have instructions for how to crack and mount etc in the torrent.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 02 2010 08:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Burt,

I would be interested in seeing what you have to say and show. I have been using Photoshop since the mid 90's. With the release of the first CS version I really buckled down and learned the majority of the software's capabilities. Still, my focus has primarily been on photo-retouching and mash-ups. Professionally I use Photoshop for web graphics incorporated in CMS products semi-frequently.

I would very much like to see how a graphics designer uses the product.

ptrizzle
Title: 25 to Life
PostPosted: Jul 03 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Love the creepy van and the coffee stain!

Broken bruised forgotten sore, too f**ked up to care anymore, poison to my rotten core, too f**ked up to care anymore!

Burt Reynolds
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 04:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok, i hadnt really checked back. While the interest is not overwhelming, I will put together a simple tutorial and post it up.

JonSnow
PostPosted: Jul 04 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just out of curiosity. So the way you pull off what you did above, is first crop out the entire background carefully around you... Then you place the Van. Then the house.. then the yellow tint, then the coffee stain, then crease then sig? I know some of the order can vary, but is that more or less what you did?

P.S.

I like this spell check feature built in. One interesting side effect is that it actually teaching people how to spell words correctly. Perhaps kids who know post on forums a lot will do better in English class. I already imagine they would with or without this spell check feature, (since they're typing and reading a lot), but this feature would even further increase it. Very interesting.

The One Truth Will Prevail
Brawl Code: 1805-1876-7506

Burt Reynolds
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 06:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

More or less, yes. There were other things I did like scratching up the edges a bit, which admittedly would be extremely tedious without the trusty waacom tablet. The yellow tint was more of an afterthought, as I used the color curves and levels to adjust the color to seem aged. Given that I couldn't go photograph a van, I had to use google, and because the pictures were taken in two differently lit environments (indoor and outdoor) I used the tint to kind of wash some of the shading and make the light sources less distinguishable. Also to note, the creases and coffee stain were not sampled, I created those within the program.

Also, Gp, you probably know the ins and outs of the new photoshops better than myself. Not to say the program isn't second nature to me, but a large bulk of my work is either drawing from scratch where my primary tool is just the various brushes, or simple color correction. I have several tricks up my sleeve however, and I'm certain my application differs from yours sometimes given the description of work you use it for.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 08:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Wacom tablet that I bought when I started learning more about Photoshop. It is awesome, but the reality is, I am better with a mouse in most cases. Most likely because I have poor penmanship.

Burt, I think it would be great if you could dissect a couple of the things you did on the photo. For example, adding the coffee ring, and and the creases.

I know that for me, I would simply rip from another image and blend until I got it looking right, but as you said, you did it a different way.

Burt Reynolds
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The crease is simple... just make a new layer, choose an appropriately sized solid brush, turn up the opacity and flow to 100% using 100% white swatch, draw a crease across the image, do the same thing with full black on a new layer right next to the white line. To each layer apply an appropriate gaussian blur (think mine was about 2%) then change the opacity's to overlay or soft light and adjust the transparentcy until it has a realistic look.

The coffee stain is a little more complicated, but not much. I just created a new alpha channel, made a solid white ring using the circular masking tool. From there, I just used the eraser with a soft edge, airbrush clicked and a flow of about 6%. from there i kind of fleshed out the cofee stain, went back with a sharp edged brush, increased the flow to like 30% and rifined the edges.

From there, I make a new layer, load the Coffee stain alpha transparentcy and choose a orangish bronze color. I fill the mask, change the layer style to color burn and apply a moderate guassian blur (around 2-3%) I create a new layer on top of last layer load the same alpha transparentcy choose a cofee brown color, fill the maks then change the layer blending to multiply and adjust the transparentcy until realistic appearance is acheived. I also adjust the colors of said two layers if the original color doesn't quite blend well, or look realistic. I usually do this through the hugh/saturation dialog in the Image>Adjust drop down menu.

Arf
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As somebody who hopes to do this for employment/as a hobby, I am VERY interested. YOU HAVE MY APPROVAL, AND MY AXE.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jul 05 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah same with Arf
...Although sadly, all I have to work with is paint.net

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 06 2010 08:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker, why no GIMP?

Boonjovi
Title: Electric Sex Pants
PostPosted: Jul 06 2010 09:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Off topic, but the title makes me think of 99 Red Balloons.

"If you try to fix violence, with more violence, all you do is create violence" - Tom DeLonge.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Jul 06 2010 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I work at a company that designs card tables, mailboxes, ice buckets and other textiles. It is my second job but I am beginning to love it more than my first (landscaping) although it makes me lazy as hell sitting at a desk all day.

I basically take old stock photos that they physically have in their archives, scan them and then optimize them for being printed and laminated to be put on the mailboxes, card tables, etc...

We also do custom work, and it's extremely easy shit.

Burt Reynolds
PostPosted: Jul 06 2010 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, doing this kind of work makes you a fatass.. I didn't realize it until like 2 years into it I was 30lbs heavier. I was dumbfounded because, while I wasn't jogging or anything, I was eating less than ever, and I wasn't really drinking any alcohol. You absolutely have to do something active outside of work. I still want to drop about 20 lbs.

Reply to topic

Jump to: