"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Deus Ex

Reply to topic
Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Jan 23 2006 02:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I just re-installed this game and it's just as kick-ass as I remember it being. There's some direct3d patch out for it that makes it run perfectly smooth, too, so it's enjoyable as ever graphics-wise.

Deus Ex is in a lot of ways the perfect rpg. You have good, smart dialogue, tense action, great customization of gameplay, an intelligent, realistic and frighteningly plausible plot (that, unlike most RPG's, is not spoon fed to you, but is left for you to discover in anything from articles on terrorism in public computers to conversations you'll overhear through eavesdropping). The entire game is a masterpiece, from the music to the graphics to the use of dystopian atmosphere and ambiance, foreshadowing, great writing, violent shootouts, subterfuge, plot twists, character development, alliance, betrayal, the list goes on. I highly, highly reccomend you play this game if you have not done so already. If you call yourself a fan of RPG's and you haven't played this game, kill yourself now. Or, play the game, then realize what a disservice you've been doing yourself by not having played it sooner.

Anyone else like this game?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 23 2006 03:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hell yes, Deus Ex is a great game. The sad part is that when is first came out, it was kind of overlooked. One of my friends got it free when he bought a soundcard back in 2000, along with 4 other less interesting games. And then it won a bunch "Game of the Year" awards.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
greeneyedzeke
PostPosted: Jan 23 2006 05:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Hell yes, Deus Ex is a great game. The sad part is that when is first came out, it was kind of overlooked. One of my friends got it free when he bought a soundcard back in 2000, along with 4 other less interesting games. And then it won a bunch "Game of the Year" awards.

Eh, I can beat that. Last year sometime one of the gaming mags (I *believe* it was PC Gamer) included the full version of "Deus Ex" on their demo disc for free. I scooped that issue up right away. Now I just need to get around to spending some real time with it.
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 23 2006 05:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Easily one of the best games ever made. Like MGS, this game changed the way I view video games. It also made me want to play more first person RPG games... but that is a failed desire. Nothing has come close... except maybe Deus Ex IW, which I know a lot people hated. While not as good as the first, it had the same intelligence and feel.

My favorite aspect of Deus Ex is that the gameplay and story changes based on your decisions more so than other games. Do characters see you as a blood thirsty bastard, or are you a hippy that the soldiers mock in the shower rooms? I also love that many characters can die at any point in the game, some sooner than others. Hell, only one person needs to die in the game. Everyone else could live!

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Jan 24 2006 01:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if I screwed up and got paul killed in Hell's Kitchen. I never went to the bar, I just cleared out the hostage situation at the hotel and blew up the generator. Do I still have a chance to save him?
Tebor
PostPosted: Jan 24 2006 02:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Murdar Machene wrote:
I'm not sure if I screwed up and got paul killed in Hell's Kitchen. I never went to the bar, I just cleared out the hostage situation at the hotel and blew up the generator. Do I still have a chance to save him?

Were you arrested and told that Paul was dead?

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Jan 24 2006 03:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was told paul was being "let go" by the agency. I think I still have some time to go before the shoot out in the 'ton hotel, I thought I had skipped it entirely on accident.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
One of my friends got it free when he bought a soundcard back in 2000, along with 4 other less interesting games.

There were actually THREE other games: Thief II, Unreal Tournament, and MDK2. They were all pretty solid titles and with the exception of MDK2, they all went on to be pretty popular.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 07:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Syd Lexia wrote:
One of my friends got it free when he bought a soundcard back in 2000, along with 4 other less interesting games.

There were actually THREE other games: Thief II, Unreal Tournament, and MDK2. They were all pretty solid titles and with the exception of MDK2, they all went on to be pretty popular.

Does MDK mean Murder Death Kill?

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:

Does MDK mean Murder Death Kill?

I wish. It stands for Max, Doctor, and Kurt, the game's three playable characters. It's a platform game that was originally released on the Dreamcast and made its way to PC two months later. It was then released for the PS2 about a year after the PC release as MDK2: Armageddon. The PS2 version probably had some extras and/or changes, but fucked if I know what they were.
mcdusher
PostPosted: Feb 21 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

its funny how manny people like deus ex when there are so many better fps out there
dues ex was one of those games that was giving kids seizures
but hey if you have to go through a choppy menu to eat food so our fps character doesnt die its worth the seizures

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE GAME YOU WOULD LITTERALY HAVE TO PAY ME TO PLAY!!!! and more than work because honesty i would rather go to work for 8 hours than think about playing deus ex game
Murdar Machene
PostPosted: Feb 22 2006 08:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, nobody's forcing you to play it. If you don't like the game, don't play it I guess. I'm sorry you don't enjoy it, I enjoyed it and still enjoy it immensely.

For the record, you don't have to eat food once in that game. You use food to feed hungry people so you can get passcodes and shit. Food heals ONE point of health and is absolutely useless to eat to keep from dying.

I've never had a seizure from any game. I'm no epileptic, so I'm not an expert on the subject but I know for a fact I never had any "choppy menus" in Deus Ex. The game ran a little slow FPS wise, due to being on the unreal tournament engine and having a plethora of wide-open outdoor areas, but that problem has been solved by newer CPU's anyway.

Besides, even if this game did give me seizures, I'd probably still play it, because it's that good. Duke Nukem 3d gives my brother motion sickness, but that never stopped him from enjoying that game.
Tebor
PostPosted: Feb 24 2006 08:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mcdusher wrote:
its funny how manny people like deus ex when there are so many better fps out there
dues ex was one of those games that was giving kids seizures
but hey if you have to go through a choppy menu to eat food so our fps character doesnt die its worth the seizures

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE GAME YOU WOULD LITTERALY HAVE TO PAY ME TO PLAY!!!! and more than work because honesty i would rather go to work for 8 hours than think about playing deus ex game

Um, Deus Ex isn't just a FPS IMO. It's a FPSRPG and I've yet to play a better FPSRPG. Eat that Doom 3...

When the heck did this game give kids seizures? I'm fairly sure it never did.

Choppy menus? What?

Eating food is awesome, but Deus Ex was not a Tamagotchi-like game. There were plenty of med-bots around.

I'd love it if I got paid to play games... instead, I just get played. Damn.

Deezee
Title: Disregard me.
PostPosted: Feb 26 2006 05:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I loved Deus Ex when I got the chance to play it. Unfortunately, when I upgraded my computer, I lost my save file and I haven't tried to go back and play through it again.

I agree with the idea that the game should not be classified as an FPS -- that much should be readily apparent from the fact that if you try to tackle it like an FPS you'll get owned in the first level.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Reply to topic

Jump to: