[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
What I did over the holiday weekend.

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Jun 01 2010 02:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So I got bored on Friday.

I looked at my piles of computer and electronics junk.

I saw my old stereo system sitting there. It hasn't gotten any use as the CD player died, and I don't listen to the radio, and don't have any cassettes anymore. I thought, that it did have an AUX input, but not just that, but it also had seperate 6 Channel inputs. (for full 5.1 Surround sound)

I then looked at my piles of spare computer parts, and saw a couple of older Pentium 4 server boards.

So, I got an idea and went to Goodwill. I found a nice little entertainment center for only 10 bucks and the plans were set in motion. Some quick modifying, and a system build later, I give you:

Knyte's Karaoke System.

As you can see it is pretty clean looking in the front. The stereo, the center speaker, the two main speakers, and a monitor. The rear speakers are hiding behind the monitor aimed at 45 degree angles.

The backside:

The backside has a 2nd monitor, a shelf for the keyboard and trackball, and the brains of the system.

You control the system from the back where I am running the Roxbox Karaoke Software, the mixer controls for my Audigy Soundcard, and WinAmp for general music playing.

If you look closer at the guts:

I vertically mounted the motherboard (Intel Server Board, 1.8GHz Pentium 4, 512MB DDR, GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP card, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum.) power supply (550w) and 2 hard drives (40GB system drive and 80GB storage drive.)

The system is running Windows XP Pro, and at the moment I have about 30GBs of Karaoke songs, which is about 4500 songs. (By next week I should have just about double that amount.)

I need a better mic, as all I have at the moment is one of the mics that came with Singstar for the PS2. (It has terrible sound range, and only sounds good if your lips are practically brushing against the mic itself.)

Here's the system playing "Space Oddity":

FRONT:

BACK:

I had some friends over Saturday night, and we rocked it well until the early hours of the morning. (My garage actually does a pretty good job of muffling the sound, and the system is aimed to the back of the garage, which faces a welding supply company. So we got the system nice and loud and didn't disturb a single neighbor. Not that I really care since they have parties all the time, in which they are outside hollering and cursing all night. Just what I want my kids to hear. Rolling Eyes)

Not a bad outcome for only spending $10 and about 4 hours of build time.

Things I still need to do:
1. Buy a studio quality mic
2. Get a hardware mixer for multiple mics and be able to add echo and reverb. (One of my friends brought his studio mic and an effects processor and it sounded miles better then my crap mic, which we only used as a backup for the evening.)
3. Encase the computer parts on the backside so they are better protected, and so the system can be transported easier to parties and such.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 01 2010 02:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well done! Looks like a lot of fun and it always feels good to resurrect parts that you thought may just sit in a box and collect dust forever.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jun 01 2010 08:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Badass! Way to McGuyer, Knyte! Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 01 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

impressive, knyte

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 01 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My weekend was very different. I went to a lake house with friends and hung out on Sat, then edged my drive way and hung out by the pool on Sun, then went back to the lake and hung out on Mon.

I spent a total of about 20 minutes on computers. A very rare weekend for me.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday I encased the internals of the system, so that the computer parts are no longer exposed on the backside. It came out looking pretty good, and it also has the nice side effect of strengthening the back keyboard shelf. (Which I can say holds the keyboard, trackball, ashtray, pack of smokes, and a Root Beer Vodka* & Coke with no issues.)

Also, I dug out some of my old LED lights, back from my "glowing" through a window PC days, and gave the system a little extra color when it is running.

I'll get some picks of it in action tonight.

*SMIRNOFF 100 Proof Spiced Root Beer Vodka = Good Shit.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome Knyte. I'm always in awe of people who can just do shit like that when the mood strikes. It would take me a week to figure that stuff out, and even then, I'd be totally lost as to how to put it together. Nice work.
Stormtrooper2011
Title: Resident Stormtrooper
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All i did was a color gaurd for 2 seperate parades

He Knows...

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 02:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pandajuice wrote:
That's awesome Knyte. I'm always in awe of people who can just do shit like that when the mood strikes. It would take me a week to figure that stuff out, and even then, I'd be totally lost as to how to put it together. Nice work.

All the more reason to give it a try. The first time is always the most difficult, but eventually it gets easier and you find the projects get more creative.

I bet you could get parts for a P4 for free at this point if you just look around at tag sales.

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 02:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Old P4 boards are easy to find. Hell, you could probably dumpster dive at a computer store and find piles of them.

The nice thing is that they are still more then capible systems for most PC uses. (Everything except Foldind @ Home, modern gaming, etc.)

Build a MAME cabinet. It's an easy enough project, and would be a great start.

That's was my first completely custom project. It was a lot of fun.

Someday, I'll be rebuilding mine as a full size standup, and loading it with everything from Arcade to Atari 2600 to Dreamcast.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jun 02 2010 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Knyte wrote:
Build a MAME cabinet. It's an easy enough project, and would be a great start.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_kickass_mame_arcade_rig_old_pc_pics

Reply to topic

Jump to: