"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Apr 28 2010 01:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the guy I want to make the move to MMA is Kermit Cintron. The guy is a badass boxer, plus he was almost a D-I wrestler.

eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Apr 28 2010 09:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Actually, the guy I want to make the move to MMA is Kermit Cintron. The guy is a badass boxer, plus he was almost a D-I wrestler.

I don't know if this is true or not but back when Sean Sherk was the lw champ, there was a rumor that Cintron asked Dana White if he could fight him and Dana declined. Cintron would be an extremely dangerous fighter in MMA. As for Klitchko (either one), those dudes are amazing athletes and their kickboxing backgrounds would definitely help; if they trained with some Russian wrestlers, they'd be awesome MMA fighters I think. Problem is, they make way more in boxing than any MMA fighter ever has.

In response to your last post about Kimbo beating Toney.... Mercer clearly did not train for MMA at all and Kimbo's punching really didn't damage Mercer, he just kind of swarmed and overwhelmed him. James Toney is working with Juanito Ibarra (Rampage's old trainer) so I'm sure he'll have the basics of defending kicks/takedowns down pretty well and Kimbo is not a good kickboxer or wrestler , he's really just a terrible boxer with decent strength. And after seeing Seth Petruzelli knock Kimbo out with a one footed jab, I really doubt he has a chin that woudl stand up to a punch from James Toney. As long as Toney has put in some actual work with Juanito and does not ignore leg kicks/takedown defense, he would run through Kimbo. Toney's problem is that he is way too old to learn enough to defend against the wrestling of someone like Randy Couture or to defend against the leg kicks/clinch/BJJ of someone like Shogun.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Apr 28 2010 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the klitchko's are incredible freaks of nature. they really are the real life Ivan Drago's.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

eddieh4444
PostPosted: May 01 2010 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone else going to watch Floyd vs. Mosley tonight? I hope Shane Mosley pulls it out but Floyd is probably going to be too young and fast for him. Should be a good fight regardless.
scamrock
PostPosted: May 01 2010 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I might watch it. Did you see Jim Rome is Burning with Mayweather? He didn't seem to understand why Ali is considered the greatest and why the competition Ali faced is considered better than Floyd's.

I'm sure Mayweather will win, but I would love Mosley to crush his face.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: May 04 2010 01:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
I might watch it. Did you see Jim Rome is Burning with Mayweather? He didn't seem to understand why Ali is considered the greatest and why the competition Ali faced is considered better than Floyd's.

I'm sure Mayweather will win, but I would love Mosley to crush his face.

I felt the same way. I was hoping that Mosley could keep hitting him with that right hand but after the second, Mayweather was too slick for him. I hope Pacquiao can do it.
scamrock
PostPosted: May 22 2010 03:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Tim Sylvia beat Mariusz Pudzianowski last night in one of the worst fights I've seen in a while. Ironically, most of the undercard fights were pretty fun to watch.

scamrock
PostPosted: May 28 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My UFC 114 predictions:

Evans over Jackson
Bisping over Miller
Duffee over Russow
Nogueira over Brilz
Sanchez over Hathaway
Sadollah over Kim (fight of the night)
Escudero over Lauzon
Guillard over Lowe
Cane over Diabate
Riley over Brammer
Forbes over Jenses (not really sure about this one)

eddieh4444
PostPosted: May 29 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
My UFC 114 predictions:

Evans over Jackson
Bisping over Miller
Duffee over Russow
Nogueira over Brilz
Sanchez over Hathaway
Escudero over Lauzon
Guillard over Lowe
Cane over Diabate
Riley over Brammer

Your picks look solid but I'm really pulling for Dan Miller over Bisping and I think Cyrille Diabate will KO Luiz Cane. I'm also pulling for Lauzon to beat Escuerdo..
scamrock
PostPosted: May 29 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:
My UFC 114 predictions:

Evans over Jackson
Bisping over Miller
Duffee over Russow
Nogueira over Brilz
Sanchez over Hathaway
Escudero over Lauzon
Guillard over Lowe
Cane over Diabate
Riley over Brammer

Your picks look solid but I'm really pulling for Dan Miller over Bisping and I think Cyrille Diabate will KO Luiz Cane. I'm also pulling for Lauzon to beat Escuerdo..

I'm pretty neutral on all the fights other than the Sanchez fight. He is oneof my favorites. I used to not like Bisping that much. But for whatever reason, I've become a fan. I was just watching one day and realized what an exciting fighter he can be. It was when he fought Kang. At the start, I was rooting for Kang, but by the end of the fight, I was cheering for Bisping and didn't even realize it. So I went back and watched his other fights again and decided I like him after all.

phantasmzombie
PostPosted: May 29 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear Matt Hughes was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame, I knew it would happen soon or later. As for tonight, I hope to see a KO first round victory for Rampage, never liked Rashad.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: May 31 2010 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Nogueira over Brilz
Can anyone tell me how Brilz did not win? Is a crucifix with two punches thrown that impressive at the end of the 3rd round when he was almost choked out a minute earlier he is somehow able to win the fight by split decision?! That's a crock of shit if you ask me.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 04 2010 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
Nogueira over Brilz
Can anyone tell me how Brilz did not win? Is a crucifix with two punches thrown that impressive at the end of the 3rd round when he was almost choked out a minute earlier he is somehow able to win the fight by split decision?! That's a crock of shit if you ask me.

I agree, I've heard people try and explain the decision but when I was watching it I definitely thought that Brilz won the fight. I think he's going to be a serious threat to anyone that he fights.

Who do you guys have winning at 115?
I've got Franklin over Liddell and I'm hoping that Cro Cop beats Barry although I think Barry might be to young and hungry for him.

Also, great fight tomorrow with Yuri Foreman vs. Miguel Cotto at the new Yankee stadium. I think Yuri Foreman could very easily edge out a decision over Cotto so I may put a few bucks down on him. I think it's a good bet at +160.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jun 06 2010 09:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently not Wink I was watching the fight and Foreman showed a lot of heart but the second you take away a quick boxers legs he is essentially done. Cotto looked great but I think that might be because Foreman looked so bad.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 06 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea, Foreman looked really bad. I lost 10 bucks on him but won 30 later on playing blackjack Very Happy .

Not good for boxing when such a big fight in such a big arena turns into an utter disappointment and the undercard is even worse.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Jun 12 2010 01:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think Rich Franklin is going to send Chuck Liddell back into retirement tonight, which sucks because I really wanted it to be Tito.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 13 2010 09:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I think Rich Franklin is going to send Chuck Liddell back into retirement tonight, which sucks because I really wanted it to be Tito.

You're from Cincinnati and you're not a Franklin fan?!

Anyways, good fights last night. Cro Cop looked a lot better than he ever has in the UFC, it be nice to see him string together a few wins.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Jun 14 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh yea I'm totally a Frankin fan, I just wanted to see the fight that was originally planned, Tito Vs. Chuck. I watched the fight in a sports bar in Cincinnati and it was insane, great experience. I hope he stays at 205 when his arm heals.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 14 2010 02:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
Oh yea I'm totally a Frankin fan, I just wanted to see the fight that was originally planned, Tito Vs. Chuck. I watched the fight in a sports bar in Cincinnati and it was insane, great experience. I hope he stays at 205 when his arm heals.

Yea, I'm a huge fan of Rich's. I hope he puts together a few solid wins.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Jun 27 2010 02:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm glad the Fedor hype is over. I don't mean to take anything away from him, he had a great run and will go down in MMA history as one of the greatest fighters of this century, but I think it was good for the sport that he lost tonight.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jun 27 2010 04:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a huge Fedor fan. I admit I'm bummed that he lost, but at the same time I've always known it was inevitable. As long as he continued to fight, he would eventually lose. And I'm actually happy that it was a legitimate loss, rather than something controversial.

I'd agree that it's good for the sport in the sense that it strengthens the argument that all the best heavyweights are in the UFC. Not that I'd like to see one organization have a monopoly over the sport, but since the UFC is clearly not interested in cross-promoting events, we may as well have all the best fighters there so we can have a true undisputed champion. Of course we've still got Overeem and Werdum outside the UFC, but without the aura of the great undefeated Fedor, I think it's now official that if you're a heavyweight, you've got to be in the UFC to be fighting the best competition.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Jun 27 2010 04:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

^well said

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 28 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I heard that Fedor is going to rematch Werdum in October. I can't see Werdum repeating and hopefully after that we can see Fedor vs. Overeem.
Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Jun 29 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
I heard that Fedor is going to rematch Werdum in October. I can't see Werdum repeating and hopefully after that we can see Fedor vs. Overeem.

I'm not sure what to think about the immediate rematch.

Generally I dislike rubber matches, but Fedor is one of those rare cases where I can see why he'd be given one. Also, you could make the argument that defeating Fedor again would actually be more prestigious than winning Overeem's title, so I can see why Werdum would want it as well.

That said, I think Fedor takes the rematch. It'll be interesting to see how he rebounds. Will he go the way of Crocop and start losing regularly, or will this get him motivated to get back to his winning ways? We shall see.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Jun 29 2010 02:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I'm not sure what to think about the immediate rematch.

Generally I dislike rubber matches, but Fedor is one of those rare cases where I can see why he'd be given one. Also, you could make the argument that defeating Fedor again would actually be more prestigious than winning Overeem's title, so I can see why Werdum would want it as well.

That said, I think Fedor takes the rematch. It'll be interesting to see how he rebounds. Will he go the way of Crocop and start losing regularly, or will this get him motivated to get back to his winning ways? We shall see.

Fedor seems like the type that will maybe train a little harder but will otherwise be unaffected by the loss. He's not super emotional like other fighters and I really think that mentally, he's just on another level. Regardless, if the Strikeforce HW picture does move along that way, I see Overeem being a huge challenge to anybody - including Fedor. If he loses to Overeem, I hope he takes a few relatively safe mid-level fights and retires near the top. If he wins against Overeem (which for the record, I think he would), I'd like to see him try and get a few fights in the UFC (Brock, Carwin, etc.) before he's done.

What do you think of Lesnar v Carwin? I'm really pulling for Carwin but it's hard to pick against Lesnar. If Carwin can stay out from under Brock, I don't see him losing but doing so will be really hard for anyone.

Also, did anyone catch the Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. vs. John Duddy fight last Saturday? Great fight, Duddy is a tough Irishman.
Reply to topic

Jump to: