SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day'

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: May 20 2010 04:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

So reading my CNN while on watch, I found out today is apparently 'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day' a FaceBook Page designed as a protest to the Comedy Central Censorship of South Park's 201st Episode. I'm all for Free Speech, and no Censorship, but it really seems like these people are going out of their way to insult and 'troll' the Islamic beliefs. Granted, the pictures posted already aren't from the person who founded the page, but a few I saw go completely out of the way to insult and deface this Religion. The Country of Pakistan went even as far as to BANNING Facebook. Curious of your guys and girls thoughs on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/19/pakistan.facebook.ban/index.html?hpt=T2

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everybody-Draw-Mohammad-Day-May-20th-2010/120352401315688?ref=search&sid=657012964.280846437..1#!
GPFontaine
PostPosted: May 20 2010 08:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

I believe in free speech, so I have no problem with the right to do this. However, I believe that free speech does not equate to freedom without consequences. What exactly do people expect if they maliciously mock of one of the largest religions in the world?

I think South Park should not have been censored, and I think that these people are idiots for doing this.

Atma
Title: Dragoon
PostPosted: May 20 2010 08:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly my thoughts.
Vaenamoenen
PostPosted: May 20 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always find it funny in this freedom of speech -mess how people forget about the even more important freedom of thought. According to our "Westen Values" (tm), everybody has it. Logically, that should include muslims also. So, they have the right to be offended by things that don't nescessarily offend us. Therefore, stunts like this ("Let's draw prophet") are not exactly in line with our own values either. This is just cheap provocation. It certainly isn't a fight for freedom of speech, more like fighting for an immature version of it.

By the way, it doesn't take a religious extremist to produce death threats. I know some people who produce scientific, neutral studies on muslim immigration to Europe. They get plenty of death threats just for doing this. And this is at the "cradle of science and civilization", West.
aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: May 20 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that South Park shouldn't have been censored. It's like they said during the last brouhaha about Mohammed. "You can show Jesus shitting on an American flag on television, but you can't show the Prophet Mohammed" and it's patently ridiculous. I can understand the network's fear of getting blown up, and wonder if any of these people are starting to worry about some reactionary doing the same to them. I think it's stupid that these people are doing this, but at the same turn, they should have the right to if it's something that they really want. I just think there's better things to do with your time.

The Sydlexia forums are not a pulpit. Refer to the forum rules.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Milhouse
PostPosted: May 20 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

In the 1950s, "I love Lucy" wasn't allowed to say the word "pregnant" on television. eventually censors and standards became relaxed. Time passed. More time passed. Then, we get a show like "Roseanne," talking about masturbation, fat-people sex, and other white trashy issues...I think Islam is just trying to keep their "I love Lucy" from turning into "Roseanne." Now, the question: Is the threat of death by Islam extremists necessary? Yes, please kill Roseanne.
Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: May 20 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would participate in this so hard but I'm working all day and am lazy. I'm a fan of not living in fear of death because I drew some guy that people worship, thank you very much. Everyone can do it for Buddha, why not this guy? Fuck PC.

And I also agree that South Park shouldn't have pulled it. When you give in to terrorists, you allow them to become stronger and more arrogant.

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: May 20 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like, once again, I'm gonna be "that guy"...
While I find it irritating, I can't blame Comedy Central for censoring South Park. Matt and Trey have the right to create the episode they wanted to, and that's fine. However, Comedy Central has the right to censor it, and where I an exec at that station I'm sure I would have wanted it censored as well.

And free speech is all well and good, but this "holiday" is fucking retarded. It's like a bunch of people decided to all poke a bear to see what would happen, and then they're going to want sympathy when the bear mauls them to death.

Finally, we have freedom of speech in America. Freedom of speech even means freedom of offensive speech. You can't yell "bomb" in a crowded theater and you can't incite a riot with your speech, but if you want to hold a white power rally or talk about how much the president and the government suck, you are free to do so. This kind of freedom is very rare, and while the most public (veiled) threat was made by an American, the majority of outrage comes from people who not only do not believe in this same freedom of speech, but also are members of the only major religion to encourage violence. (Speaking in present day terms. Obviously there has been religion-sanctioned violence before)

Of course, if we're going to acknowledge that most of the people who are offended by this don't enjoy freedom of speech, they should probably acknowledge that this is well outside their fucking jurisdiction, but there's no chance of that happening.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 20 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is officially on watch. If you want to discuss this "event" that's fine, but do so without bloviating about your feelings towards any particular religion, or religion in general.

UsaSatsui wrote:

aeonic
Title: Sporadic Poster
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My bad Jeebus. This is one of those weird situations where I feel bad for violating the forum rules/risking a flame war and yet feel totally unrepentant about the opinion I actually expressed. But I'll be more careful all the same.

Who likes role-playing games? Me. Way too goddamn much.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You're welcome to hold that opinion, just don't express it on these forums.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Vaenamoenen
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Of course, if we're going to acknowledge that most of the people who are offended by this don't enjoy freedom of speech, they should probably acknowledge that this is well outside their fucking jurisdiction, but there's no chance of that happening.

I think everybody has the right to be offended and to say that they are. You mean death threats or something?
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: May 20 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I was speaking only in regard to death threats and actual murder. Of course they can express that they are offended.

UsaSatsui wrote:

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: May 20 2010 02:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is it provocation? Absolutely. But it's also a means of standing up and saying "we won't be intimidated, no matter how many jihads you threaten us with."

THE SYDLEXIA.COM FORUMS ARE NOT A FUCKING PULPIT. This was already warned against earlier in the thread, and there was no reason you needed to add beyond your very much on topic point. Congratulations, thread over.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: