"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
My Retro Blog Is Up

Reply to topic
mr. retro
Title: Jurassic Park Fanboy
PostPosted: Apr 14 2010 01:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi! My name is Mr. Retro and you can find my blog at the link provided below. I review 80s and 90s books, movies. video and board games, music, and tv shows. I have a new review up about once a week. So far I have reviewed Shaq-Fu (SNES), Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City (SNES), and the movie Maximum Overdrive. This week I'm reviewing the junior novel, Family Matters: The Lean, Mean Urkel Machine. Everyone's welcome to check the blog out and feedback can be given at prowess92@live.com. Also, SydLexia.com kicks ass!

Sincerely,
Mr. Retro

http://mr-retros-oldskoole-blog.blogspot.com

Jurassic Park IV is never going to get made. Face it.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 15 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You have potential, but you need to be a little more analytical and provide more details. For example, you don't mention that evil trucks in Maximum Overdrive are led by a toy company truck with the Green Goblin from Spider-Man on the hood. That's a major selling point of the movie for a lot of people.

Or the Michael Jordan game. I'm aware that it exists, but I haven't actually played it, so I was really interested to read that. I like a review to breakdown all the boss battles for me. At the very least, I want a screenshot of the endboss. I want to see Dr. Cranium!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
mr. retro
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 03:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just starting the blog, so I'm hoping I can get better the more I write. I'm realizing how tough it can be to write witty things. It makes me respect people like you, Angry Video Game Nerd, and Nostalgia Critic. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Constructive criticism is completely welcome. Although, I'm interested, is my blog worth reading or is it terrible?

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 05:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mr. retro wrote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just starting the blog, so I'm hoping I can get better the more I write. I'm realizing how tough it can be to write witty things. It makes me respect people like you, Angry Video Game Nerd, and Nostalgia Critic. Anyways, thanks for the feedback. Constructive criticism is completely welcome. Although, I'm interested, is my blog worth reading or is it terrible?

I like it. Keep doing it.

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 06:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Keep doing it. Nothing improves your writing better than more writing. And more writing. And more writing. I liked that you reviewed Chaos in the Windy City because I was not that familiar with it, hadn't seen anyone else review it, and you did a fairly good job describing the experience. But Syd's correct....more visuals! Especially when it's a game nobody has played.

It's a good start, so as long as you still have passion for it keep it up.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

mr. retro
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I really had fun writing those reviews, and I do agree with Syd. The next review is a Family Matters junior chapter book, so it's going to be a challenge using visuals. I'll find some nonetheless and hopefully it'll be posted by Sunday. I'm also going to do a Top 101 movies of all time list, and after that, June is Jurassic Park Month. I'm gonna be busy! Shocked

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mr. retro wrote:
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I really had fun writing those reviews, and I do agree with Syd. The next review is a Family Matters junior chapter book, so it's going to be a challenge using visuals. I'll find some nonetheless and hopefully it'll be posted by Sunday. I'm also going to do a Top 101 movies of all time list, and after that, June is Jurassic Park Month. I'm gonna be busy! Shocked

If you don't review the SNES game, you have no soul.

mr. retro
PostPosted: Apr 16 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing I grew up with that game! It was Zelda meets Doom. The FPS parts scared me when I was a kid and I could never beat it. Right now I'm playing through the Genesis version. It's better, but the platforming sucks. Yeah, I'll definately review Jurassic Park for SNES. I've thought about reviewing Jurassic Park 2 for SNES as well.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Apr 17 2010 09:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Jurassic Park for SNES is a much worse game than it appears to be. It's like, kind of fun at the beginning and there's all these hints of good stuff and you keep playing because you think you'll hit the point where the game hits it's stride and becomes awesome...and it never comes.

And fuck that ending.

JP for the NES, by the way, is completely different, and there's no reason not to do both.
mr. retro
PostPosted: Apr 17 2010 04:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to do the NES game and probably the Game Boy ones, too. The Lost World for Genesis is alot like the SNES one, but it has better graphics and much better gameplay.

mr. retro
PostPosted: Apr 21 2010 04:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Family Matters junior novelization review is now posted. Hope you guys enjoy it! Smile mr-retros-oldskoole-blog.blogspot.com

Reply to topic

Jump to: