"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
(Un)OFFICIAL MMA DISCUSSION THREAD

Reply to topic
eddieh4444
Title: Doctor of Science
PostPosted: Mar 21 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it looks like you were right about Jon Jones. He looked good tonight but I still don't think he's ready for a top level guy. At 22 the dude is definitely one of the brightest prospects in MMA though.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hate Jon Jones, I can't wait for someone to smash his face. Maybe I'm just being a hater but he just rubs me the wrong way. He likes to elbow people in the face while they are on their back.

Vera didn't look healthy at 205, you could see his ribs.
JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 09:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I hate Jon Jones, I can't wait for someone to smash his face. Maybe I'm just being a hater but he just rubs me the wrong way. He likes to elbow people in the face while they are on their back.

Vera didn't look healthy at 205, you could see his ribs.

This. Jones pisses me off as well.

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 05:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure what you guys don't like about Jones. He's humble as could be, and he's exciting to watch. Elbows are legal strikes (although at this rate they could end up banning them because of Jones)

I agree that he's not quite ready for a top level guy yet, though. I was surprised Vera didn't go for an armlock, the way Jones was leaving those long arms out there. Maybe he thought he'd have more time, LOL. There's rumors of him fighting Thiago Silva. That would be a tough fight, but I think Jones could beat him.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 05:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand the Jon Jones hate either, he seems like a pretty cool guy. I'd love to see him fight Thiago, I don't like Thiago at all and I'd like to see how Jones stacks up to someone like him.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 06:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, just the way Jone's last two fights ended rubs me the wrong way, Matt Hammill & Brandon Vera getting vicious elbows to the face. I hope he does fight Thiago next, and I hope Thiago puts him on his back and fractures his face in three places with a elbow.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 23 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a big Hamill fan because of what he's overcome and I didn't like the way his fight with Jones ended but why hate on Jon Jones? Because he throws really, really good elbows from the mount/guard?
Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Mar 24 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

phantasmzombie wrote:
I don't know, just the way Jone's last two fights ended rubs me the wrong way, Matt Hammill & Brandon Vera getting vicious elbows to the face. I hope he does fight Thiago next, and I hope Thiago puts him on his back and fractures his face in three faces with a elbow.

Elbows are part of the MMA game. Would you feel any differently if he was kicking people in the head while standing?

I think Jones would beat Thiago Silva. Silva's got good BJJ, which I think is where Jones is vulnerable, but I think Jones can eat him alive in the standup. Silva's been dropped a few times before (even though he's managed to win every fight except for the Machida fight), so I tend to think Jones can damage him badly with those elbows when it goes to the ground.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 28 2010 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone catch the fights tonight? GSP is ridiculous, his fights are becoming so one sided that they're almost boring.

Carwin has amazing power in his hands.; he is a very legitimate threat to Lesnar. I can't think of anyone in the UFC (besides Lesnar) that poses a serious threat to him.

Nick Diaz looked a lot better at 170 than he has at 155 lately. Can't wait until his next fight.
phantasmzombie
PostPosted: Mar 28 2010 04:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea I thought the GSP/Hardy fight was a bit boring. I wished they had stood up and banged more but thats not where GSP wanted the fight to go.

As for Carwin & Lesnar, I think Cain V. poses a threat to both of them, and I also think Junior Dos Santos will be a contender sometime this year.
eddieh4444
PostPosted: Mar 28 2010 05:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that Cain Velasquez poses a serious threat to either Shane Carwin or Brock Lesnar. I kind of see him as a smaller, weaker, slower Shane Carwin with far less power in his hands. Junior Dos Santos, if he works on his ground game and puts on some weight, I think could pose a threat to any heavyweight though. I'd really like to see JDS vs. Velasquez next; I'm sure Dos Santos would love to avenge Big Nog's loss to Cain.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Mar 28 2010 09:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I gotta give Dan Hardy a lot of credit though he literally had both of his arms almost ripped off and refused to tap. The guy has guts, but jesus did GSP look amazing. Also the Carwin fight was awesome it's a shame the ref let him pound on an unconcious Mir for as long as he did though.

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Mar 29 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
I gotta give Dan Hardy a lot of credit though he literally had both of his arms almost ripped off and refused to tap. The guy has guts, but jesus did GSP look amazing. Also the Carwin fight was awesome it's a shame the ref let him pound on an unconcious Mir for as long as he did though.

lol that's Dan Mirogiollata.....the worst ref in MMA. He's also the ref who stopped the Kimbo Slice/James Thompson fight when Thompson's cauliflour ear exploded, and who thumbed Heath Herring in the eye during the pre-fight instructions when he fought Lesnar.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Mar 30 2010 05:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That would explain why no one clapped when his name was said, unlike all the other refs. Really excited for Carwin and Lesnar now. I want to see Brock get just completely lit up.

Ice2SeeYou
PostPosted: Mar 31 2010 09:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

That would explain why no one clapped when his name was said, unlike all the other refs. Really excited for Carwin and Lesnar now. I want to see Brock get just completely lit up.

Yea I'm pulling for Carwin, but I could see it going either way. Brock is larger and probably more athletic. He's probably got the edge in wrestling, if only because of the aforementioned size/athletic advantages. But we haven't seen him take a punch, yet......and we know about Carwin's punching power. Cardio is a question for both guys, and submissions are likely irrelevant.

I see it going one of two ways: Brock by decision, or Carwin by TKO

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Mar 31 2010 04:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea. The fact that Carwin hasn't made it out of the first round yet doesn't show if he can go the distance with his high altitude training. I'd like to see Brock in the same exact position as Mir. Face down in the canvas for a about 10 seconds.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 01 2010 04:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yea. The fact that Carwin hasn't made it out of the first round yet doesn't show if he can go the distance with his high altitude training. I'd like to see Brock in the same exact position as Mir. Face down in the canvas for a about 10 seconds.

Man, I'd love to see that.

Anyone catch the UFN last night? Florian looked great but I felt bad for Gomi.
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Apr 02 2010 01:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
I don't think that Cain Velasquez poses a serious threat to either Shane Carwin or Brock Lesnar. I kind of see him as a smaller, weaker, slower Shane Carwin with far less power in his hands. Junior Dos Santos, if he works on his ground game and puts on some weight, I think could pose a threat to any heavyweight though. I'd really like to see JDS vs. Velasquez next; I'm sure Dos Santos would love to avenge Big Nog's loss to Cain.

I agree that Cain should fight JDS next. This champion in waiting business is a bunch of BS. For starters, he was named champion in wating before Carwin was even named #1 contender. If he has to wait 5/6 months after the Lesnar/Carwin fight, he will have a 10/11 month layoff between fights. Dana already said he doesn't need a fight in between. But what if the winner of Carwin/Lesnar gets an injury during training and needs longer than 5/6 months. It could end up being a year from now. That is too long for Cain to go without a fight.

You could also argue that JDS is a better #1 contender. Sure, the win over Big Nog is a bigger win than anyone JDS has fought. But, Gonzaga, Struve, Cro Cop, Werdum, and Yvel, in my opinion are more impressive than wins over Nogueira, Kongo, Rothwell, Stojnic, O'Brien, and Morris, at least in my opinion.

Also, a lot of people seem to think Mir is done now. But I really think he has a legit chance at beating both Cain and JDS, neither of which I think can beat Lesnar or Carwin. If he fights JDS, as long as he is smart and takes it to the ground, he should make short work of him. I think the opposite is true with Cain. I think Cain makes it tough on the ground. I think this is the perfect place to use his newly found striking skills. I'm not saying he would win or it would be easy, but he has a shot as far as I can tell.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 02 2010 02:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Also, a lot of people seem to think Mir is done now. But I really think he has a legit chance at beating both Cain and JDS, neither of which I think can beat Lesnar or Carwin. If he fights JDS, as long as he is smart and takes it to the ground, he should make short work of him. I think the opposite is true with Cain. I think Cain makes it tough on the ground. I think this is the perfect place to use his newly found striking skills. I'm not saying he would win or it would be easy, but he has a shot as far as I can tell.

I agree, I think Mir is still a huge threat to anyone in the division and has a really good chance of beating JDS and Cain if he fights one of them. I'd like to see Roy Nelson vs. Mir though, and I'm sure Mir would jump at the chance to avenge his loss to Roy (it was a grappling match, but still).
scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 02 2010 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:

I agree, I think Mir is still a huge threat to anyone in the division and has a really good chance of beating JDS and Cain if he fights one of them. I'd like to see Roy Nelson vs. Mir though, and I'm sure Mir would jump at the chance to avenge his loss to Roy (it was a grappling match, but still).

That is what I would have done. I would have put JDS against Cain and Mir against Nelson. But since it looks like Cain won't be fighting for a while, I guess you put Mir against JDS, unless Dana thinks Mir needs to work his way back up a little. But if Roy doesn't get Mir, I would like to see him get a rematch with Rothwell.

scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 11 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

WOW. Frankie Edgar.

eddieh4444
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 03:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
WOW. Frankie Edgar.

Yea, he fought smart and pulled off a huge upset. I still don't feel that he's better than BJ though. I think BJ beats Frankie in a rematch, even if they have Kenny fight Frankie, I'd pick Kenflo.

What about Anderson? What a prick, he absolutely refused to attack Maia and then mocked Demian for not engaging on the feet.... completely classless. I really hope that someone knocks Anderson down a peg or two.
scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:
scamrock wrote:
WOW. Frankie Edgar.

Yea, he fought smart and pulled off a huge upset. I still don't feel that he's better than BJ though. I think BJ beats Frankie in a rematch, even if they have Kenny fight Frankie, I'd pick Kenflo.

What about Anderson? What a prick, he absolutely refused to attack Maia and then mocked Demian for not engaging on the feet.... completely classless. I really hope that someone knocks Anderson down a peg or two.

I hope the old rumored fight between Spider and Frank Mir becomes a reality. As good as Spider is, I don't think he could beat the better HWs. It could give him a reality check, and give Mir a boost in confidence. Even better, for his next "dabble" at LHW, give him Jon Jones.

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eddieh4444 wrote:

I agree completely, but on the other hand I was getting more frustrated at Maia for not attacking. There were so many times where one well timed punch could have knocked that cocky shit out. Then he waits til the final round to do anything? For fucks sake man this is the biggest fight of your career, DO SOMETHING! Still fucking classless.

scamrock
PostPosted: Apr 12 2010 06:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He is bored. There is nothing left for him at 185. There definitely nobody at 170 that could move up to challenge him (Spider would destroy GSP). He needs to move up to 205 for good.

Reply to topic

Jump to: