SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Italy: Atheist sues priest for saying Jesus existed.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Judge to Rule on Merit of Christ Case

By MARTA FALCONI, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 21 minutes ago

VITERBO, Italy - An Italian judge heard arguments Friday on whether a small-town parish priest should stand trial for asserting that Jesus Christ existed.

The priest's atheist accuser, Luigi Cascioli, says the Roman Catholic Church has been deceiving people for 2,000 years with a fable that Christ existed, and that the Rev. Enrico Righi violated two Italian laws by reasserting the claim.

Lawyers for Righi and Cascioli, old schoolmates, made their arguments in a brief, closed-door hearing before Judge Gaetano Mautone in Viterbo, north of Rome. They said they expected the judge to decide quickly.

Cascioli filed a criminal complaint in 2002 after Righi wrote in a parish bulletin that Jesus did indeed exist, and that he was born of a couple named Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem and lived in Nazareth.

Cascioli claims that Righi's assertion constituted two crimes under Italian law: so-called "abuse of popular belief," in which someone fraudulently deceives people; and "impersonation," in which someone gains by attributing a false name to a person.

"The point is not to establish whether Jesus existed or not, but if there is a question of possible fraud," Cascioli's attorney, Mauro Fonzo, told reporters before the hearing.

Cascioli says the church has been gaining financially by "impersonating" as Christ someone by the name of John of Gamala, the son of Judas from Gamala.

He has said he has little hope of the case succeeding in overwhelmingly Roman Catholic Italy, but that he is merely going through the necessary legal steps to reach the European Court of Human Rights, where he intends to accuse the church of what he calls "religious racism."

Righi, 76, has stressed substantial historical evidence — both Christian and non-Christian — of Jesus' existence.

"Don Righi is innocent because he said and wrote what he has the duty to say and write," Righi's attorney, Severo Bruno, told reporters.

He said he told Mautone during the hearing that Righi was not asserting a historical fact when he wrote of Jesus' existence, but rather "an expression of theological principles."

"When Don Righi spoke about Christ's humanity ... he was affirming that he needs to be considered as a man. What his name is, where he comes from or who his parents are is secondary," he said.

Fonza said he countered that there have long been questions of Christ's existence and that the matter warranted discussion in the court.

"When somebody states a wrong fact, abusing the ignorance of people, and gains from that, that is one of the gravest crimes," Cascioli told reporters.

Righi's brother, Luigi Righi, attended the hearing and said his brother was "serene but bitter."

From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_re_eu/did_jesus_exist
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This hurts my brain.

If nothing else, Jesus certainly existed.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 02:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Truly, that man is a dick. Whether or not Jesus was the son of God is irrelevant. Most historians agree that Jesus was a person at the very least.

Even I can accept that and I don't even believe in God.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 27 2006 07:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There was also King Arthur and Robin Hood Very Happy

It is also believed there was Mad Max and The Terminator.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Jo_thepirate
Title: the Great Bob
PostPosted: Jan 31 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

warning -> don't laugh at robot killing machines who come from future, they are programmated to terminate human existence lol
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Feb 02 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

How desperate for attention do you have to be to sue someone for saying Jesus was a person? Yes, you're an atheist and don't want him to have existed. Yay for you. The Romans, who didn't care much for him apparently, documented that both he existed and was crucified when and why the bible says.

Maybe my comparisson is ill concieved and offensive, but wouldn't this be the same thing as a Jewish person 2000 years from now suing someone for saying Hitler existed? Sure that person doesn't want Hitler to existed, but it doesn't change the fact that his existance was well documented by people who hated him, much like Jesus.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: