[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The Return of Paul Verhoeven

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jan 28 2006 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Six long years after giving us the mediocre Hollow Man, Paul Verhoeven is back. He has two films currently scheduled for release in 2006.

The first is Zwartboek, which is being filmed in Dutch. The title translates to Black Book in English. According to IMDB, this film is "the story of a German Jewish girl who narrowly survives the war in Holland. She joins the resistance to find out who betrayed her family after all of them were killed in an attempt to reach the liberated south."

The film is in post-production and is currently scheduled for a September '06 release in the Netherlands. I hope it gets a US release, whether subbed or dubbed.

The second film is called Beast of Bataan, and it is a drama about the war crimes trial of Lt. Gen. Masaharu Homma, the Japanese officer responsible for the Bataan Death March during World War 2.

This movie hasn't even been cast yet, so it might not be out til 2007.

Verhoeven is one of my all-time favorite directors. He gave us three of the greatest movies ever: RoboCop, Total Recall, and Basic Instinct. I also enjoy some of his earlier work, specifically Flesh & Blood and The Fourth Man, and Starship Troopers is also a guilty pleasure of mine. I am both psyched and disappointed by his return. On the one hand, these two projects both sound very good and they both show serious ambition. And while it would be nice to see Verhoeven potentially get an Oscar nod, part of me would largely prefer to see him do an action movie. There are a lot of shitty action directors around right now (Uwe Boll, Rob Cohen, Louis Leterrier) who lack Verhoeven's vision and penchant for violence. They also lack any sort of directorial ability could be construed as anything above "barely competent".
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 28 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to defend "Unleashed" for Louis Leterrier.

However, Verhoven is THE MAN! Showing off my age, Starship Troopers was the first R rated film I saw in theaters. That's the R rated movie children should see! Everything Verhoven does is excessive from violence to comedy to sex. God bless him.

However, I'm not to keen with him doing dramas, I need to see this man making uber-violent flicks.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Reply to topic

Jump to: