[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
things that piss you off in sports

Reply to topic
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 09:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

UsaSatsui wrote:
Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
Throwing the flag and saying it was a taunting penalty. Even though the flag was thrown before the play was over and any type of taunting took place.

He threw the flag for pass interference (which was picked up). He didn't exactly have a second flag to throw down for the taunting that clearly happened immediately afterward.

Yeah, Usa has that pegged. Your post should have been:

WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T THE PATS PASS AFTER LIGHT WENT OUT!? I felt like we packed up the offense after he went down, fuck that. I can handle losing, but I hate losing games that could be won.
Sexton Hardcastle
Title: The Supreme Element
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
UsaSatsui wrote:
Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
Throwing the flag and saying it was a taunting penalty. Even though the flag was thrown before the play was over and any type of taunting took place.

He threw the flag for pass interference (which was picked up). He didn't exactly have a second flag to throw down for the taunting that clearly happened immediately afterward.

Yeah, Usa has that pegged. Your post should have been:

WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T THE PATS PASS AFTER LIGHT WENT OUT!? I felt like we packed up the offense after he went down, fuck that. I can handle losing, but I hate losing games that could be won.

That "taunting" was such a weak call. If he hadn't already thrown the flag for nothing I don't think he would have called taunting, since they all carry two flags he should have thrown the second after that happened, and if he had no flags left (which he did) than he should have thrown his hat. If that would have happened I would have been alright with it. It appeared to me he threw the flag, realized "Oh wait, there is no pass interference after a tipped ball....it was taunting!!" Also, yes Rydog, I 100% agree with you. The offensive play calling didn't make me happy...at all.
Rydog
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 01:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good point, they def. do toss their hat if they need another penalty called. But that point is moot, in this day of the NFL, you simply can't show any sort of a celebratory action while standing over an opponent, it just doesn't fly anymore. Kind of like coughing on the QB....at least Ty Warren got his money worth on his roughing the passer flag.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 01:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:

That "taunting" was such a weak call. If he hadn't already thrown the flag for nothing I don't think he would have called taunting, since they all carry two flags he should have thrown the second after that happened, and if he had no flags left (which he did) than he should have thrown his hat. If that would have happened I would have been alright with it. It appeared to me he threw the flag, realized "Oh wait, there is no pass interference after a tipped ball....it was taunting!!"

That's not really how it works. If they throw a flag, then later discover that there was no penalty after all (like with a tipped ball), they just pick up the flag and explain that fact. I don't think the refs look for another penalty just to cover up their embarrassment over an incorrect flag.

Rydog is right in that the NFL is really cracking down on any form of celebration anywhere near another player. The 49ers had bad calls left and right during the Vikings game in week 3, including a horrible taunting call that was called when the 49er wasn't even facing the Viking player who was on the ground. Even worse, Mike Pareira (VP of officiating) defended it saying anything that can be construed as taunting now won't be tolerated. Probably a similar situation in the Pats game of over paranoid officiating.
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You both bring up good points, and I can understand the leagues trying to get rid of taunting and celebrating, but some of this is getting ridiculous. I can understand the call on Merriweather, he definitely did say something. I don't know if any of you watch college football, I watch it time to time although I'm not a big fan by any means. But I don't know if any of you have seen the calls for excessive celebration going on over there, but it's absolutely atrocious and going a little to far.
Rydog
PostPosted: Oct 12 2009 02:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You mean when a couple players "jump bump" after a score and they get a flag? Soooooo stupid.

I personally hate any over the top celebration that doesn't follow the offense scoring or the defense getting a turnover or forcing a punt.

Really, a three yard sack? Stop jizzing all over the field, it isn't that big of a deal....

Really, you hit a guy hard after he made a HUGE first down catch? You failed on the play, shut the fuck up....

I do think that celebrating scores/turnovers should be allowed to be a bit excessive because those are actually game changing plays and I would like to see those allowed a little more freedom.
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Oct 13 2009 06:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
I do think that celebrating scores/turnovers should be allowed to be a bit excessive because those are actually game changing plays and I would like to see those allowed a little more freedom.

Yeah, I definitely agree. My mind was blown when last week, a player caught a first down pass, then went to his knees and did the whole praise god move and didn't get a flag, but in a different game (I think it was the Raiders), a player caught a TD pass and did the same move in the endzone, but got flagged for it. And again, the NFL defended it by saying they are trying to cut down on endzone celebrations.

REALLY?! That's when players should be allowed to celebrate, you fucktards! Not in the middle of the field between plays!
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Oct 13 2009 06:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ugh...realizing I forgot to update my two Fantasy Football teams this week Sad
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Oct 19 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fucking incompetent referees who somehow are chosen for MLB Playoffs matches. Just saw one give two strikes in a row while the ball was obviously outside the strike zone,
then, a few pitches later, not giving one while the ball was almost right in the center. The commentators said he didn't see the pitch. What the hell was he looking at!?
Rydog
PostPosted: Oct 27 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fucking Miami Dolphins meltdown that cost me $600.

I do a $10 pick em sheet every week where you try to pick the winner of each game against the spread. I finished 10-2 for the week and the winner was 11-1. I don't know who watched it but the dolphins gave up 36 points in the second half and blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead and lost by 12. To make it worse, they were inside the 10 with one play left and had an offensive penalty which ended the game so they couldn't run the play that could have given me the win. Bullshit
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 04:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

they're showing the stupid cardinal game instead of the viking game here in phoenix.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 08:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
they're showing the stupid cardinal game instead of the viking game here in phoenix.

That's too bad. That game is fucking awesome. The Packers were awful in the first half, but they're making a nice comeback.

Is that Cardinals game any good?
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
username wrote:

That's too bad. That game is fucking awesome. The Packers were awful in the first half, but they're making a nice comeback.

Is that Cardinals game any good?

no, not really.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Teralyx
Title: Master Exploder
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 09:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CC Sabathia pisses me off.

<TheFlamingSchnitzel> Didn't your mom teach you not to punch girls?
<FigNewton> I was too busy /punchin' her/

Deadmau_5pra
Title: Amatuer film/podcaster
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 09:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Brett Farve.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 09:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ToGdor wrote:
CC Sabathia pisses me off.

Yeah, but just wait to years 4,5,6, 7 of his contract when his back gives out. Ryan Howard doesn't stand a chance against him though.
Teralyx
PostPosted: Nov 01 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ryan Howard seriously needs to get his shit together.

EDIT: And not 10 minutes later he does.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 02 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

That the jazz went downhill. Even though this happened years ago

They may be coming back up but still

Teralyx
PostPosted: Nov 02 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Fucking Lidge.

Teralyx
PostPosted: Nov 03 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that the Phillies just gave the Yankees a home victory, because they just don't have the pitchers to win two more games.

Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 03 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't give up yet. Pedro can contain (not shutdown) the yankees, so if they can get to Pettitte then they can grab game six. And they have gotten to CC a little already twice, plus pitching a third game against the same team I think would favor the hitters. Not to mention if Hamels can get his shit together for 4 or 5 innings they can most definitely have Lee come in to relieve for 2 or 3 innings. Can someone just please break Lidge's arm off so we don't have to worry about him coming in the game in the Bottom on the 9th with a one run lead...shudder...
Sexton Hardcastle
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

New York Jets anyone? I've never seen a team that was so incredibly mediocre think they are the greatest team in the world, even after they continue to lose...to The Dolphins....twice.
Rydog
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

How could you blame them? They have Sanchise!

This Is A Joke
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

The fucking Yankees. Fuck.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Nov 05 2009 01:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The fucking Yankees. Fuck.

Cheers! Very Happy

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Reply to topic

Jump to: