"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Game Destroyers webcomic

Reply to topic
Fernin
Title: Comic Author
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As some of you may know, I've been running the webcomic Game Destroyers at http://ferahgo.boldlygoingnowhere.org for a couple of years now, which I finally took to the public this past summer. I've been updating every day since mid-August (save for a filler comic here or there), and have also been working on re-vamping the beginning to not suck quite so much. You can see the new beginning in the works over at my old site, starting here . I'm re-doing about the first 30 comics or so, then I'll be continuing on through the rest of the comic, increasing the size to the 2x2 panel size, instead of the 4x1 size. Let me know what you think of the original beginning, the new beginning, the comic itself, or whatever the hell you feel like.

...While advertising the comic is the main purpose of this post, I'm also in need of a little bit of help, couldn't find any better place to put this... I'm trying to make a part of an image partially transparent using the GIMP. However, all the stuff I find when googling for help either tells me how to make a solid color completely transparent, or how to do a gradient background. It's just a small textbox, being said through telepathy by someone that's not in the room, so I think it'd look best as half transparent. While randomly searching for an example through the Bob and George archives, I came across this, the look of the character is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to get. I've been fiddling around with layer masks and such, but haven't managed anything yet. Does anyone have any idea how I can accomplish this?

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not to sure about GIMP but that's easy schmeezy in Photoshop. I will Download and try it in GIMP just for kicks, then post the results. In photoshop all you do is paste the image into a top/seperate layer and then select the layer the image is in and change the opacity with the opacity slider bar in the layer menu.

Edit: I did that with this image (if you look close you can tell with the text) for an old guild banner I made in WoW.

Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also you should check this out. I have been using this for quite some time. It's super cheap and it kicks ass:

http://www.mycomicbookcreator.com/products/detail/description.html?id=41
Fernin
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dammit all to... now I feel like an idiot... It has the same exact thing.

I'm so used to everything in the GIMP having to be ridiculous and convoluted to accomplish, yet there it is, out in the open, an opacity slider on the Layers box. Well, thanks for indirectly pointing that out, PM, comic 14 is finished now.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Probable Muppet
PostPosted: Jan 04 2009 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LoL, No problem. I usually get stuck for hours trying to figure this stuff out for the first time and when I finally do, I kick myself when I discover how easy it is.
Fernin
PostPosted: Jan 12 2009 09:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...So, I take it by the week's worth of no one saying anything that no one here cares about my comic?

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Jan 12 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I read it once...

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Jan 30 2009 08:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's great. I joined your forum with the name scotty

SevereFlame
Title: Superpowered President
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 03:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I joined the forum too. I bet you can guess who I am. Unless this forum IS set up like a different forum I used to go to, in which case I'll probably find the name change button.
docinsano
Title: Boner King
PostPosted: Feb 01 2009 05:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've read the newest comics, nice work. It reminds me of some comics i used to frequent back in the 00-03 era. If you ever need any more appliances or that kind of stuff, I may or may not be able to provide you with the materials necessary. Keep it up, holmes.
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 19 2009 08:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Since Fernin is too damn modest to mention it, you guys may want to check out his webcomic for the new few weeks.

There's some special guests you may recognize.
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Aug 01 2009 08:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, folks, if you vote for Fernin's comic this month, it means I have to do some extra work and make bonus stuff.

So go, scroll down, and vote. Or, if you want to do it the easy way, click here and follow the directions.

Remember to vote daily.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Aug 01 2009 08:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I voted

Now wheres my kudos

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Aug 01 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You don't vote for kudos, you vote because you appreciate the person and their work. No... just no.

Also voted. I don't say it enough, but I do love the comic Fernin.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 02 2009 01:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Why must I be stuck on a farm with dial-up?! I haven't been able to read the comic in a month. Sad

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Aug 21 2009 03:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got to catch up on everything. This war is epic. Poor Jeebus.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Captain_Pollution
Title: Hugh
PostPosted: Oct 01 2009 09:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I may have said I'd do it back in what, February? Regardless, I read the comic, the whole damned thing. Good stuff. Now I'm just waiting to appear in it and I'll be happy.

<Drew_Linky> Well, I've eaten vegetables all of once in my life.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 01:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin, if you need a place to temporaraly host your comic I reccomend

http://www.piczo.com
Fernin
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 02:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker, what'd I tell you about offering help to people who don't ask for it? It's blatantly insulting, you twit.

If I wanted another place to host my comic, I'm perfectly capable of finding a place on my own, not to mention the fact that I still have my old freeservers site. The fact that I haven't done such a thing should give you a clue that I don't want nor need a temporary site to host the comic. It's on vacation until my site admin gets his computer set up again, deal with it.

JoshWoodzy
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on Fernin, hacker is a genuine fan and is really trying to help. Don't let his past idiocy rule how you feel about him forever.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 07:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know how Lennon died right?
UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Nov 06 2009 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
It's blatantly insulting, you twit.

Irony?

Quote:
Come on Fernin, hacker is a genuine fan and is really trying to help. Don't let his past idiocy rule how you feel about him forever.

He -constantly- does this, Josh. Constantly. Even when politely asked not to. And impolitely. And yelled at.
Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fernin wrote:
Hacker, what'd I tell you about offering help to people who don't ask for it? It's blatantly insulting, you twit.

So by your logic, it would be insulting to go and open the door for somebody carrying a bunch of bags who can't seem to open it or ask for help because they have something in their mouth

I don't know about you but every time I do something similar to that I get plenty of thank you's

The last time I went to wal-mart I pulled a shopping cart out for an old lady. She didn't ask for help but was glad I did
Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:
Fernin wrote:

So by your logic, it would be insulting to go and open the door for somebody carrying a bunch of bags who can't seem to open it or ask for help because they have something in their mouth

I don't know about you but every time I do something similar to that I get plenty of thank you's

The last time I went to wal-mart I pulled a shopping cart out for an old lady. She didn't ask for help but was glad I did

You just... don't get it do you hacker... look there is a big difference between that and what you are trying to argue with. Simply put it's his business so don't butt in.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Nov 08 2009 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hacker wrote:
Fernin wrote:

its not that.

it feels as though your help might seem condescending. like. 'who is this little punk 16 year old telling me how to run my comic? as if i dont know about web hosting or anything? arrogant punk.' at least, thats what i gathered from Fernin's defensive reaction.

i could be wrong, but i understand you were just trying to help. so on that note, i have to say Fernin might've reacted a bit harsh.

anyhow, those are my two cents. feel free to disregard them if you need to

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Reply to topic

Jump to: