[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
things that piss you off in sports

Reply to topic
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 08:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

-salaries

-tv listings being different for actual soccer games. stupid directv said mexico vs honduras would be @ 4:30pm, but now ESPN tells me 6pm. so i changed my schedule to try to catch the game and now getting screwed on that deal since i wont see the game now.

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
-salaries

See, for me, it's people bitching that pro athletes make too much money.

If these guys weren't earning their money, they wouldn't get it. Plain and simple.
Rydog
Title: Dragon Slayer
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 08:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The reason they get crazy money is because of the revenue that pro sports brings in. Would you rather the owners keep the bulk? If demand went down, then cost would go down and then the salaries would go down. Everyone would take a fat contract if it were offered to them at their job.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
The reason they get crazy money is because of the revenue that pro sports brings in. Would you rather the owners keep the bulk? If demand went down, then cost would go down and then the salaries would go down. Everyone would take a fat contract if it were offered to them at their job.

I wish that the cost of going to games and buying team sports apparel was more reasonable. I could give a shit about how much the players or owners make.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:

This is pretty much what I wanted to say, but couldn't find the words for.

If people don't like how much they get paid, they won't buy tickets.
Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
Rydog wrote:

I wish that the cost of going to games and buying team sports apparel was more reasonable. I could give a shit about how much the players or owners make.
I know what you mean, it really is a shame. A family of four who wants to go to a Patriots Game has to plan on dropping around $600 bucks just on tickets and parking....and that is with the absolute worst seats at the stadium, if you want to sit anywhere where your kids eardrums wouldn't explode jump that price tag to around $1500....hmmmm, little Suzy's Braces or the pats game? Sorry Suzy, looks like those teeth are gonna be crooked another year!
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
Rydog wrote:

I know what you mean, it really is a shame. A family of four who wants to go to a Patriots Game has to plan on dropping around $600 bucks just on tickets and parking....and that is with the absolute worst seats at the stadium, if you want to sit anywhere where your kids eardrums wouldn't explode jump that price tag to around $1500....hmmmm, little Suzy's Braces or the pats game? Sorry Suzy, looks like those teeth are gonna be crooked another year!

Yeah, but that is only if you can get the tickets. Last time I checked they are sold out for the next 18 million years.

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I wouldn't even attempt to look for tickets from the actual team, my estimates are based off stubhub.com and the likes with insane markups PLUS they add 10% of your purchase total on top of what you actually pay for the tix.
username
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ok, i should rephrase, i hate the economics behind player salaries. their salaries are justified, but i hate how its at the cost of the fans. rising ticket prices. rising sports apparel. rising beer prices ($8 for a cup WTF?!) they fuck us, the fans. whatever happened for the love of the game. and i hate baseball players that go on strike because of that.

Klimbatize wrote:

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 09 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

$50 for a six pack of draft beer!! WOOHOO!!
Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 06:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yet people keep going to the expensive games and keep buying the overpriced beer. The owners will charge the most they can as long as people keep buying the stuff. Don't do it if you think it's overpriced and if enough people refuse to buy the shit, the price will inevitable go down.

I hate when some douchebag is complaining about the $8 beer while holding a cup of it he just bought.
Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 01:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I recall hearing that the Titans were complaining about the easy road the Steelers had to the Superbowl last season... yeah...

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 01:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, they would have had to go through Tennessee to get there if the Titans didn't choke against the Ravens.
Izzy
Title: Mascot Gold
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 01:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well they also had to face that "easy" team that beat them the week before.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Reports that Dixie Carter wants to make TNA more "sportslike", which is why she replaced Don West on the annouce team with Taz.

The WWE is trying to compete directly with MMA, and failing miserably. The whole appeal of TNA was that it 80's camp mixed with good wrestling. Don't get rid of the camp!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 10 2009 08:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That the black eye peas are opening the NFL season.

EDIT: Add Tim McGraw to this also.
username
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

J. Russell on the Raiders pisses me off.

Klimbatize wrote:

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 01:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:

Is J. Russell seriously this bad? I don't really get to watch the Raiders that much but when I see QB stat lines that begin 3 for 16 passing and the likes, I can't imagine he just needs some time. I feel like he will never be able to acclimate to the speed and skill of the pros. At least you can stop the run now!...which means more incomplete passes from Russell, sorry User.
username
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 01:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rydog wrote:
username wrote:

Is J. Russell seriously this bad? I don't really get to watch the Raiders that much but when I see QB stat lines that begin 3 for 16 passing and the likes, I can't imagine he just needs some time. I feel like he will never be able to acclimate to the speed and skill of the pros. At least you can stop the run now!...which means more incomplete passes from Russell, sorry User.

he's pretty terrible. i wasnt able to watch him yesterday cause we dont have the NFL ticket anymore, but his stat line was horrible and from watching him game 1, i am just waiting for him to get replaced.

Klimbatize wrote:

Pandajuice
Title: The Power of Grayskull
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 02:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He always looked to me like an oversized, slow, lumbering guy who could barely move. In this league, it's pretty difficult to be successful and completely static in the pocket, big arm or not.
lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 07:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Inconsistent referees. Especially in the NHL. Favoring the team trailing by 3 points or not calling obvious penalties in overtime happens really fucking often.

Some people suggested getting rid of overtime in the NFL, resulting in a tie if the score is even in the 4th quarter. Opinion?
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 07:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Both Teams get one kickoff, if neither scores or its still tied go to sudden death.

The Lions for boosting my hopes to epic proportions at the half, only to completely shatter my heart and soul by the 3rd quarter.

Rydog
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Keep OT how it is...slip double sided coin into refs pocket, win game with field goal on 2nd down.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 08:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

lavalarva wrote:
Inconsistent referees. Especially in the NHL. Favoring the team trailing by 3 points or not calling obvious penalties in overtime happens really fucking often.

YES DEAR GOD YES. Of course, every fan feels like the refs are totally against them, but really, it is just massive inconsistency. It's ridiculous.

Although I will say, back in '06 during my Oilers Stanley Cup run, there was one specific ref who I swear to god was either honestly and truly against the Oil, or just plain retarded. I'm guessing the latter because his bad calls were always, always, ALWAYS against us, no matter what team we faced. His name was McGoo (probably misspelled, but that's how it sounds) too, which was deliciously ironic.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

lavalarva
2011 SNES Champ
PostPosted: Sep 21 2009 09:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
lavalarva wrote:

YES DEAR GOD YES. Of course, every fan feels like the refs are totally against them, but really, it is just massive inconsistency. It's ridiculous.

Although I will say, back in '06 during my Oilers Stanley Cup run, there was one specific ref who I swear to god was either honestly and truly against the Oil, or just plain retarded. I'm guessing the latter because his bad calls were always, always, ALWAYS against us, no matter what team we faced. His name was McGoo (probably misspelled, but that's how it sounds) too, which was deliciously ironic.

(Googled a bit) He's called Mick McGeough, and he recently retired, to which many NHL fans exclaimed "FINALLY!".

He was very incompetent. I believe the only reason the NHL had to keep him was that a match is never boring with him on the ice. He was funny. He would have been great has a mascot.
But he was a referee. A referee that ruined everyone's fun by making bullshit calls all the time, the kind where you have to wonder if the guy even knows the rules.

Other stuff about the NHL: how they try to stay in hopeless markets. Nobody goes to watch the games in Phoenix, or in most southern US cities for that matter.
Reply to topic

Jump to: