[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The official MTG draft thread

Reply to topic
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 01:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So last Thursday, I won a ten person draft with the following deck.

Looming Shade x1
Fiery Hellhound x1
Dragon Whelp x 1
Shivan Dragon x1
Howling Banshee x1
Bog Wraith x1
Doom Blade x1
Whispersilk Cloak x1
Warpath Ghoul x1
Child Of Night x1
Goblin Artillery x1
Rise From The Grave x2
Sign In Blood x2
Lightning Bolt x2
Seismic Strike x3
Tendrils of Corruption x3
Swamp x9
Mountain x8

This deck probably shouldn't have worked because it had a low creature count and a high mana curve. But somehow did it. Apparently lots of removal + Rise From The Grave works really, really well. Whispersilk Cloak + pump guys is pretty good, too. My final opponent probably should have beat me. He had Howl of the Night Pack, which wrecks my spot removal, as well as Earthquake and Windstorm, both of which could take out a cloaked guy. But he had a higher mana curve than me and limited spot removal, so I was able to beat him 2-1.

I had to make a couple of hard picks. First pack, I opened Nightmare as my rare. It was tempting, but I ultimately picked Lightning Bolt instead. Lightning Bolt is good in any deck, whereas Nightmare requires a heavy commitment to black and it's easy to get forced out of black since it's so shallow. I began to have buyer's remorse after I passed Nightmare, but then I got a second pick Shivan and a third pick Dragon Whelp and and I felt significantly better. Second pack, the rare sucked (Mesa Enchantress) but uncommons were Levitation, Pyroclasm, and Whispersilk Cloak, all of which are ridiculous. I almost took Pyroclasm, and strongly considered hate drafting Levitation, but I had to go with Whispersilk Cloak. It's just too good. There's limited artifact removal in M10 and a Cloak on the right guy will end the game pretty damn quickly. Maybe not as quickly as Levitation, but I decided to go with the one that I could actually play in the deck I had been drafting.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 01:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You fail to mention that you won first place only because I got a pair down and you didn't play against me Razz

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Aug 31 2009 02:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Black Zarak wrote:
You fail to mention that you won first place only because I got a pair down and you didn't play against me Razz

You guys had the same first tie breaker, so the pair down actually didn't do it. It went to third tiebreakers which means that Syd got first and you got second cause one of his opponents lost a match 2-1 and yours did it 2-0. I know, it's kinda terrible, but the same thing happened in the other pod too.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 05 2009 07:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Took first in an eight man draft on Thursday with this:

Looming Shade x1
Diabolic Tutor x1
Sign In Blood x1
Sparkmage Apprentice x1
Consume Spirit x1
Child of the Night x1
Earthquake x1
Shivan Dragon x1
Doom Blade x1
Dragon Whelp x1
Bog Wraith x1
Howling Banshee x1
Dread Warlock x1
Black Knight x1
Shatter x1
Terramorphic Expanse x1
Grave Digger x2
Prodigal Pyromancer x2
Assassinate x2
Fiery Hellhound x2

First picked Earthquake in the first pack, cuz it's awesome, and third picked a Windstorm. Although both are splashable, I originally planned to go R/G. When I got two late pick Assassinates in the first pack, I switched to R/B. Took Shivan first pick in the final pack, but I had to pass up Pyroclasm and Whispersilk Cloak for it. Deck worked well. I went 2-0 in Round 1, 2-1 in Round 2, 2-0 in Round 3. The one match I lost was due to mana screw on a hand I shouldn't have kept. I had two Swamps, three red cards, Assassinate, and Looming Shade. Didn't draw a third land until turn six, and I was on the draw that game. I started to rally back, but my opponent had the Whispersilk Cloak I passed up for Shivan, and he countered my Shatter. So unblockable damage did me in.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: