[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Congress examines the BCS system

Reply to topic
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 07:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Congress debates BCS bowl system

As stupid as the whole "bowl" thing is...don't our lawmakers have fucking better things to do? Pass a damn bill that means something, then worry about this crap.
SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 07:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

In fairness, Obama talked about it during the campaign, and now a certain segment of the population is demanding that he fulfill this 'campaign promise.' *sigh*. I have no idea if Obama has actually asked Congress to look into it, or if they're simply taking advantage of the obvious (if rather silly) support the idea has.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

MOGHARR
Title: The Original CandyWafer
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 07:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Well I don`t judge most things by graphics, reality has amazing graphics, and I don`t like it, that`s why I play video games." Laminated Sky on Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Cattivo
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 08:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The BCS might be stupid, but it's none of the government's concern. And their interpretation of antitrust laws to legitimize their meddling is flimsy at best.
Douche McCallister
Title: DOO-SHAY
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 09:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's about fairness in my eyes. All the big schools get a bowl given the are above .500 but if you get a bunch of WAC or MAC teams that are undefeated they don't get shit. That severly hinders the schools recruitment abilities. Which also hinders sports funding, which also hinders enrollment. Boise States upset over Oklahoma was a prime example of why there should be a playoff and these schools should be given a fair shake of the millions of dollars that are being given to the already rich.

Playoffs take nothing away from the schools that normally compete, however the more "Prestigious" schools don't want a playoff because it will make there games less worthy, like there is any worth in seeing TCU and Tulsa go at for battle of the Mediocres. Everything would be fixed with a playoff, 4 team playoff and you still get your shitty bowl games.

[/rant]
I get worked up over this shit.

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 07 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, yeah, Douche, but should Congress be involved in it?

I agree completely with a playoff, but it's not our damn lawmaker's business.
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 07:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Colleges are a business and if there really is something illegal going on, then yes Congress should sort it out. However, unfair and illegal are two different things. If the system is flawed, then the colleges / BCS management should fix it, if the system is illegal then Congress does need to step in.

Somewhere in that mess is capitalism being manipulated.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 07:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

The eleven most dangerous words in the English language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we can distract congress into not spending any more money.

Cpt. Fantastic
Title: El Capitan
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A couple things:

1) I disagree with the position that Congress should be dealing with other more important issues. Were this any other Billion dollar industry they were looking at in an attempt to determine whether antitrust violations were occuring i doubt anyone would bat an eye.

2) as for the statement that that the BCS violating Article 1 of the Sherman Act is a flimsy premise for an investigation, untrue! is say. Article 1 attempts to prohibit agreement in restraint of trade, i.e. agreements that limit or destroy competition in the respective field. Out of the 10 positions in the BCS games, 6 are guaranteed to the winners of the 6 major conferences (Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, SEC, ACC). That leaves only 4 slots open for non BCS schools. When you add in the fact that the schools and conferences who form the BCS are given given an advantage in the system as to strength of schedule, there definately seems to be a restraint on the possability of non-BCS teams participating in the big games.

3) on the flip side of that, the BCS is, technically, a voluntary, private organization. By virtue of that, the BCS could argue, there is no real restraint of trade because the non-BCS teams could simply branch out on their own and compete in the market separate from the BCS. This could give us a system similar to boxing, where there are multiple champions even in the same weight classes.

4) Congress should care about this because, don't forget, the opportunity to play in a BCS game, especially the national championship game, means Millions of dollars to that particular institution in a multi-Billion dollar industry. And that money is not just for sports. For a lot of these smaller schools that have been screwed by the BCS (Utah in 2008 and 2004, Tulane in 1998) that kind of money could go a long way. Sports, for one reason or another, is seemingly the only free market, non-regulated industry left in the U.S. Whether you believe all markets should be free and unregulated or not, the fact is they are and the BCS and college football are not different and should not be treated any differently. Interstate commerce is interstate commerce and Congress has the authority to regulate it.

5) rant over.

"I have been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit"
-Mel Brooks

"I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the Professor!"
-Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

UsaSatsui
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
The eleven most dangerous words in the English language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

No, they're "We're forming a committee to determine how many words that is"
Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jul 08 2009 05:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cpt. Fantastic wrote:
4) Congress should care about this because, don't forget, the opportunity to play in a BCS game, especially the national championship game, means Millions of dollars to that particular institution in a multi-Billion dollar industry. And that money is not just for sports. For a lot of these smaller schools that have been screwed by the BCS (Utah in 2008 and 2004, Tulane in 1998) that kind of money could go a long way. Sports, for one reason or another, is seemingly the only free market, non-regulated industry left in the U.S. Whether you believe all markets should be free and unregulated or not, the fact is they are and the BCS and college football are not different and should not be treated any differently. Interstate commerce is interstate commerce and Congress has the authority to regulate it.

This. I'm an avid Buckeyes fan but it pisses me off when teams that are clearly better get ranked lower because of conference. The Big Ten has turned into a WAC or MAC conference now...Only way OSU is getting into a NC game is to go undefeated. 1 lose won't do it for atleast 5 to 10 more years.

blkplaguelmc
PostPosted: Jul 09 2009 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Douche McCallister wrote:
.Only way OSU is getting into a NC game is to go undefeated. 1 lose won't do it for atleast 5 to 10 more years.

To bad they get smoked every time they get there. Wink

I kind of like the bowl system because it's so great around Christmas when there are all the games. I don't think a 4 team playoff would give those teams a fair shake (the mid majors) Even when Boise St. went undefeated in the regular season I don't think they were ranked above 5. It'd be so much cooler if they could do like a 16 team tournament and have some of the names of the bowl games just be the playoff games. (like the Orange Bowl be a semifinal etc) Oh man, football is almost here. Very Happy
Andrew Man
Title: Is a Funklord
PostPosted: Jul 09 2009 03:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I want to win the Chik-Fil-A Bowl!

My Muzaks! CHECK IT OUT!!!
http://www.facebook.com/hellodharmaband

3DS is very good, and Wii U!

Douche McCallister
PostPosted: Jul 09 2009 05:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

blkplaguelmc wrote:
Douche McCallister wrote:
.Only way OSU is getting into a NC game is to go undefeated. 1 lose won't do it for atleast 5 to 10 more years.

To bad they get smoked every time they get there. Wink

I kind of like the bowl system because it's so great around Christmas when there are all the games. I don't think a 4 team playoff would give those teams a fair shake (the mid majors) Even when Boise St. went undefeated in the regular season I don't think they were ranked above 5. It'd be so much cooler if they could do like a 16 team tournament and have some of the names of the bowl games just be the playoff games. (like the Orange Bowl be a semifinal etc) Oh man, football is almost here. Very Happy

A. Shut up Laughing
B. This would just cause more issues, then you have 16 teams taking the place of 15 bowl games. Which removes 30 teams from the Bowls altogether. They could do a top 8 or POSSIBLY a top 10 by have the two top ranked teams getting a bye week.

My defense for OSU is that we have no championship game for the Division. Everyone else does! I think another game against PSU would have given us the boost to beat Texas this year. Especially since they only one the game in the last seconds. If they did 8 or 10 teams they could give the last two spots to at large teams, like the Utes last year or Boise.

Reply to topic

Jump to: