SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Wikipedia articles as replies

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 05:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've now seen 3 replies to threads that are nothing but the contents of random wikipedia articles. While I have nothing against threads going off topic, these posts are cumbersome and aren't really on any topic (yeah, I get that they're actually all about one topic, but so far none of them have been the "natural course" of any discussion or joke or anything, they're just there taking up a lot of space). Because of this, I fully intend to remove anymore replies like this.

(And to the at least 1 person who now wants to do this like 20 times just to piss me off and make me delete them, blow me.)

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Mr. Bomberman
2009 Forum Champion
Title: (still) token black.
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 05:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jeebus vs. JEW and Sock

Xbox Live: HazNobody, pronounced "HAz". | Haven't went to IRC yet? Go! #sydlexia @ DALnet. | Y'all should play some Super Robot Wars J (hey that rhymes!) | yeah I'm back who gives a shit

Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 05:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, it ain't gonna be a Handicap match. I take great pleasure in deleting JEW's posts that consist entirely of pictures of pizza.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 05:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also pretty sure when irrelevantly quoted as they are, they're guilty of copyright infringement.

You know... like this...

Quote:
Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material that is protected by intellectual property rights law particularly the copyright in a manner that violates one of the original copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works that build upon it. The slang term bootleg (derived from the use of the shank of a boot for the purposes of smuggling) is often used to describe illicitly copied material.

In many jurisdictions, such as the United States, copyright infringement is a strict liability tort or crime. This means that the plaintiff or prosecutor must only prove that the act of copying or actus reus was committed by the defendant, and need not prove guilty intent or mens rea. Good faith, standing alone, is no defense.

Sorry, couldn't help myself Twisted Evil

Quote:
Seizures are temporary abnormal electro-physiologic phenomena of the brain, resulting in abnormal synchronization of electrical neuronal activity. They can manifest as an alteration in mental state, tonic or clonic movements, convulsions, and various other psychic symptoms (such as déja vu or jamais vu). They are due to temporary abnormal electrical activity of a group of brain cells. The medical syndrome of recurrent, unprovoked seizures is termed epilepsy, but some seizures may occur in people who do not have epilepsy.

This Is A Joke

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to take partial credit for the pizza posts - thanks jew, for doing my work for me!
FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 06:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

these boards tend to turn into bickering and bitching alot, I'm trying to enjoy myself. apaprantly I'm not on my own if other people are doing it.

once again, the forum deems itself "a descent into badly moderated madness." by the site's creator. I am stil lyet to hear his opinion on the matter. all I seem to see are topics made by an ego tripping moderator with a low tolerance level.

how about lightening the fuck up and laughign about the insanity, instead of rushing to stomp rediculousness out. god forbid somebody has to scroll past a post or something.

you know how much some of us liek reading five page topics that are basically four forum members goign aback and forth insulting each other liek that wonderful forum debauchery thread.

edit: furthermore, I think I've contributed jsut as much relevant posting to this board as I have done nuttiness, so stop acting like I'm some sort of delinquent all the time.

TheRoboSleuth
Title: Sleuth Mark IV
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 06:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, lighten up. Your just sore one of those instances interrupted your pissing contest with Cracken.

Some wiki relief was much appreciated.

Murdar Machene
Title: bimmy
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 06:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the bullshit tough guy facade. Jeebus, drop the fucking act, you're not impressing anyone, except maybe your internet girlfriend. You do a shoddy job of moderating as it is. Your moderation mostly consists of high-fiving valdronious after either one of you delete a post by someone more interesting than you, or make an unfunny remark about some obscure nonsense nobody but you or him give two shits about. If you're curious where MY attitude came from, look at yourself, because you fucking started it.
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mutiny on the HMS Lexia

Though in all seriousness, we moderate the forums the way we do because we come to a concensus as to what's in the best interest of the forum community as a whole. Sure Jeebus may be too uptight for some of us, maybe the other mods are too lenient, either way, we do what we do for you guys. This isn't a power trip, or a popularity contest. We get rid of all the spam, most of which (believe or not) never even makes it to your monitors, so you guys don't waste your time scrolling through bullshit. With this responsibility also comes the duty and the right to remove anything we feel is utterly deviod of any value. And, no offense Murdar, but the Queso Diaherea thread stands out prominently in my mind. If it were up to me, I'd have locked, deleted, and/or denied the existance of the Jon vs Science thread. Jon has beaten his dead horse, sodomized it, shit on it, and torched it. I tend to fall more towards Jeebus in my opinions, but it's not solely my decision to make. So if you want to deride the forums as 'Badly moderated madness', be my guest. I won't mod you, but I may take exception to you.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 07:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
I'm also pretty sure when irrelevantly quoted as they are, they're guilty of copyright infringement.

I'm pretty sure that Wikipedia articles are public domain. And they're certainly not intellectual property.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 08:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
Tebor wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Wikipedia articles are public domain. And they're certainly not intellectual property.

No, but copying and posting the text without proper identification is still plagiarism. Especially when it isn't used as a proper source and implied to be original material. Most of the posts don't give credit to Wikipedia, which is a part of it's GNU copyright agreement, or whatever it is protected under.

Valdronius wrote:
If it were up to me, I'd have locked, deleted, and/or denied the existance of the Jon vs Science thread.

Sorry, but something needed to be done when it was still a part of the "Heroes" thread.

Although maybe the Jeebus vs. JonSnow thread shouldn't have been locked, but honestly how many threads revolve around JonSnow already?

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

Char Aznable
Title: Char Classicâ„¢
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 09:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I STARTED THAT FIGHT!!! It was ME who fought with Jon at first, NOT JEEBUS!!!
This Is A Joke

But seriously, can't we all just get along? Sure, Murdar and JEW may be annoying at times, and Jeebus may be a bit uptight, and Spanky may act like the forum goon, and I may (INSERT ANNOYING TRAIT HERE), but that doesn't mean that we all have to fight about it. Issues like this should only be brought up after it gets to be an issue that the community as a whole is pissed about, and the people at fault shouldn't insult the mods for doing what's in the best interest for the forums in general. Just remember, we're all brought together by a great love of pop culture. Please, just remember that.

Black Zarak
Title: Big Coffin Hunter
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 09:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There you go ruining everyone's fun again Jeebus...

REVIEWS, LEGOS, NONSENSE Check out Zarak's Barracks!

"Let that be a lesson to you, your family and everyone you've ever known..."

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal!"

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Dec 19 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Valdronius wrote:
Mutiny on the HMS Lexia

Though in all seriousness, we moderate the forums the way we do because we come to a concensus as to what's in the best interest of the forum community as a whole. Sure Jeebus may be too uptight for some of us, maybe the other mods are too lenient, either way, we do what we do for you guys. This isn't a power trip, or a popularity contest. We get rid of all the spam, most of which (believe or not) never even makes it to your monitors, so you guys don't waste your time scrolling through bullshit. With this responsibility also comes the duty and the right to remove anything we feel is utterly deviod of any value. And, no offense Murdar, but the Queso Diaherea thread stands out prominently in my mind. If it were up to me, I'd have locked, deleted, and/or denied the existance of the Jon vs Science thread. Jon has beaten his dead horse, sodomized it, shit on it, and torched it. I tend to fall more towards Jeebus in my opinions, but it's not solely my decision to make. So if you want to deride the forums as 'Badly moderated madness', be my guest. I won't mod you, but I may take exception to you.

the forums say, right on top, on the right of the logo, "SYD LEXIA .COM: a descent into badly moderated madness."

and I don't see how it's in everyone's best interest to piss off a good portion of the people that post there. in this thread alone you ahve three people pissed off about the uptight bullshit. it's not like this is some giant forum where traffic is constant, and a few bumbling idiots are causing trouble and pissing everyone else off.

scrollign through bullshit? the occasional zany, stupid topic is not bullshit. the occasional stupid post with pizza nad wikipedia is not bullshit. it's not like we are runnign around ruining every topic we can find with this stuff. bullshit is constant oppression of a group of forumers beause you don't like what they're doing. when we start really fuckign up your christmas, when people decide that they don't want to post ehre anymore becuase they can't bear to look at a few pizza pies in the middle of an otherwise boring discussion, THEN give us shit about it.

and for the record, I would be one hundred percent AGAINST deleting the jon snow/ science topic. just like I expect people to put up with a couple of zany posts and topics on my behalf, I can put up with someone else's idea of a topic. they can jsut expect a wikipedia article here and there for the hell of it.

I agree with char (on every aspect except for calling me annoying Cool ) everyone needs to lighten up a bit. it's not the end of the world. are you really ready to lose three or more forumers by being a nazi over practically nothing?

Sock
Title: Master Fornicator
PostPosted: Dec 20 2006 01:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

Loosen your sphincter, buddy. You're a moderator on a fucking forum with less than 25 active members. Chill pal, we're all friends here. No one's going to say "OMG! YOU POSTED A WIKI ARTICLE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC AT HAND MODS SIEZE HIM!!", let it slide dude, especially in a bullshit thread like that. If someone starts spamming, or flaming, sure, flash your moderator badge, 'til then keep it in your pants, we're not impressed by it. If someone posts a wiki article to say "Hey! This thread is stupid, let's talk about this!", then let it slide. It's not hurting anyone.

There never was an image here, what the fuck are you talking about?

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 20 2006 02:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

JEW wrote:

the forums say, right on top, on the right of the logo, "SYD LEXIA .COM: a descent into badly moderated madness."

Yeah? The fucking banner says "Pop culture ate my brain" and you have yet to ask Syd how he functions without a brain. It's quite the luxury to only take jokes seriously when it's convenient though, huh JEW? And I don't know where the fuck you got the idea I'm trying to impress anyone. I just figure that for all the times I remove spam I should get to remove one or two useless wiki articles. Afterall, if you don't like a thread you can just ignore it. We need to read everything, and while other mods may not be as quick to delete that stuff, I"m sure they'd appreciate not having to wade through it.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: