"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
DOOM!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to topic
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Sep 03 2005 01:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Watching The Transporter 2 I noticed there was a new Doom trailer. This new one featured a number of footage of a gun leading the camera like the game. A woman's voice even said reload and the arms DID!

Does this mean it will suck? Or rock? Sure, it looks like Resident Evil: The Movie... but... CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doom/

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Sep 03 2005 02:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

the rock is in it. so it will most definitly suck.
they even changed all the storyline and shit. no longer is it demons coming in from a portal from hell,its mutants made with syrum or something. sounds an awful lot like tons of movies,tv shows and games ive seen and played. I will not see this movie. ever.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 03 2005 06:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen the trailer and yeah, it'll probably be pretty bad. Also, King is right, they did change the plot. Instead of demons from Hell, the baddies are humans who were somehow mutated as the result of a human genome experiment. I think I saw a Demon in the trailer, but I wouldn't expect to see Cacodemons, Barons of Hell, Pain Elementals, Lost Souls, Cyberdemons, or any of the other really cool Doom bad guys.

I like The Rock, but his generally comedic style doesn't fit in with the dark tone of Doom. The Great One needs to stop making movies and go back to wrestling because his movies suck. I enjoyed The Rundown to an extent, but Christopher Walken had the lamest death scene ever. And Walking Tall would have been good if it wasn't so short and badly edited. In any case, I'm just glad they didn't get Vin Diesel. One thing I found amusing was that The Rock didn't even get first billing for Doom; he's billed second to some jabroni named Karl Urban. Go figure.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 03 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

There's no way I will be able to take the movie seriously, but as a plain ole fun movie I think Doom is going to pay off. Sure they changed the plot, but does that matter? Super Mario Brothers had no relation to the game but at least it was enjoyable once you got over that. Heck, it even was one of the most creative sci-fi movies ever made... it's low on the list, but on there none the less.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

B.B.King
Title: Total Fucking Loser
PostPosted: Sep 04 2005 06:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

seriously,this is like making a wolfenstien 3d movie and taking out the zombies with cannons mounted to their chest. sure,it would be an alright movie,but it would lack the coolest part about the game.

I am a worthless piece of crap.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Tebor
PostPosted: Sep 05 2005 03:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

B.B.King wrote:
seriously,this is like making a wolfenstien 3d movie and taking out the zombies with cannons mounted to their chest. sure,it would be an alright movie,but it would lack the coolest part about the game.

Can you call a Wolfenstien movie: "Wolfenstein 3D"? I believe so. I will get Uwe Boll on the phone immediately.

OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 09:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
   I've seen the trailer and yeah, it'll probably be pretty bad. Also, King is right, they did change the plot. Instead of demons from Hell, the baddies are humans who were somehow mutated as the result of a human genome experiment. I think I saw a Demon in the trailer, but I wouldn't expect to see Cacodemons, Barons of Hell, Pain Elementals, Lost Souls, Cyberdemons, or any of the other really cool Doom bad guys.

Aw. Sad So what's even 'Doom' about it, then?
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 09:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know there's a couple of baddies from the games in the movie, but mostly it's a virus/experiment gone wrong thing. There's dimensional gate thingy in the trailer, that tricked me to believe there's a gate to Hell, but the crew of the film have said due to budget limitations they couldn't go the "Hell" route. But maybe the sequel, right?

At least they kept Mars! Very Happy

Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 16 2005 09:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And I quote:

Doom, the landmark videogame that electrified a generation, leaps from the computer screen to the big screen as a terrifying sci-fi horror action adventure, transporting audiences to a dark and disturbing future with all the visceral excitement and horror that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon.

The action takes place at Olduvai Research Station, a remote scientific facility on Mars, where something has gone terribly wrong. All experiments have ceased, and communication has failed. The few messages that do get through are less than comforting. It's Level 5 Quarantine, and the only souls allowed in or out are the Rapid Response Tactical Squad (RRTS)-hardened Marines armed to the teeth with enough firepower to neutralize any enemy_or so they think.

The researchers at this Red Planet station have unwittingly opened a door, and all hell has broken loose.  A legion of nightmarish creatures of unknown origin lurks in every corner and stalks the countless rooms and tunnels of the facility, killing what few people remain. A hellish zoo of demons, Imps, Barons and Hell Knights has taken over Olduvai. And they're not giving it back without a fight.

Sealing off the portal to Earth, Sarge (The Scorpion King's DWAYNE "THE ROCK" JOHNSON), Reaper (The Lord of the Rings' KARL URBAN) and their mercenary team must use every weapon at their disposal-and some they find along the way-to carry out their orders:  nothing gets out alive. Unfortunately, these things never go as planned_

Doom stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (The Scorpion King, The Rundown, Walking Tall) as Sarge; Karl Urban (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Bourne Supremacy) as John Grimm, a.k.a. Reaper; and ROSAMUND PIKE (Die Another Day, Pride & Prejudice) as Dr. Samantha "Sam" Grimm.  The film also stars RAZ ADOTI, DEOBIA OPAREI, BEN DANIELS, RICHARD BRAKE, YAO CHIN and AL WEAVER as members of the RRTS, and DEXTER FLETCHER as a wheelchair-bound communications officer.

Doom is directed by ANDRZEJ BARTKOWIAK (Romeo Must Die) and produced by LORENZO di BONAVENTURA (Constantine, Four Brothers) and JOHN WELLS (Far From Heaven, White Oleander, television's The West Wing and ER).  The film is written by DAVID CALLAHAM and WESLEY STRICK (from a story by Callaham), based on the id Software videogame "Doom."

The stellar behind-the-scenes team is led by director of photography TONY PIERCE-ROBERTS, BSC (Underworld), production designer STEPHEN SCOTT (Hellboy), costume designer CARLO POGGIOLI (Van Helsing, Cold Mountain), SFX supervisor KIT WEST (The Bourne Supremacy, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi), VFX supervisor JON FARHAT (The Interpreter, The Mask), creature FX supervisor JOHN ROSENGRANT (Aliens, Jurassic Park III) and editor DEREK G. BRECHIN and fight supervisor DION LAM (The Matrix trilogy). LAURA HOLSTEIN and JEREMY STECKLER are co-executive producers.

OctoMan
PostPosted: Oct 21 2005 02:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So... how about the weapons? Will there be a chainsaw? Chaingun? BFG? There better be a BFG!
Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 21 2005 02:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tuckster wrote:
So... how about the weapons? Will there be a chainsaw? Chaingun? BFG? There better be a BFG!

Chainsaw yes. BFG I believe. Idk on chaingun.

Tebor
PostPosted: Oct 22 2005 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BAM!!!!!

Was Doom good? Well, that's hard to say because there was so much bad. Bad pacing, terrible lines that made me laugh... but The BFG got its own applause and everyone LOVED the FPS scene.

OctoMan
PostPosted: Nov 24 2005 04:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know, I just realized that they should really make a Duke Nukem movie. Now THAT guy was cool.
Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 24 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tuckster wrote:
You know, I just realized that they should really make a Duke Nukem movie. Now THAT guy was cool.

Only if he was played by Dolph Lundgren*

*Tebor's solution to everything.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 24 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Or Bruce Campbell.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Nov 29 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, considering most of Duke's catch phrases seem to have been lifted from Army of Darkness, how could you NOT hire Bruce Campbell?

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Tebor
PostPosted: Nov 30 2005 06:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

He's not blonde or dumb enough. He's Ash dumb, not Duke dumb.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Nov 30 2005 08:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

1. At least one of Duke's catchphrases was stolen from Roddy Piper's character Nada from They Live.

2. Bruce could dye his hair. He could also just play the character with dark hair. I wouldn't find that more offensive than, say, making Luigi Hispanic.
spoilsport
Title: Bad News
PostPosted: Nov 30 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Off topic, but I think the only answer that I got right on your 'Quiz & Dragons' questions page was the one about the wrestler featured in 'They Live'.

Love that friggin movie. Best fight scene ever.

eight-bit.com

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Dec 01 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

The South Park parody of the fight scene was pretty great too.

"Dammit Timmy, put the hat on!"
spoilsport
Title: Bad News
PostPosted: Dec 01 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, yeah.

If I had cartoon, I'd totally parody that fight scene.

Seriously - you should consider it for a future comic.

eight-bit.com

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Dec 01 2005 01:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

As Syd mentioned, Campbell could dye his hair. As for not being dumb enough, it's called ACTING. Besides, he DID make that movie "The Man with the Outside Brain" or whatever it's called.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Tebor
PostPosted: Dec 01 2005 03:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
As Syd mentioned, Campbell could dye his hair. As for not being dumb enough, it's called ACTING. Besides, he DID make that movie "The Man with the Outside Brain" or whatever it's called.

It was The Man With the Screaming Brain.

I just wouldn't buy Campbell as a blonde or as Duke. I think he'd be great in the movie, but just not as the lead. Maybe it he could be someone who dies in the first 10 minutes.... or he could be the stripper.

Reply to topic

Jump to: