"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
The world of Bosses

Reply to topic
GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Until this morning I lived in a world where I imagined that one day I would not have to submit myself to the demands of a boss. I figured that I would rise in the ranks of a corporation or start a business of my own. Then the rules and demands would be mine to make.

I think I owe this delusional state to my parents who provided the illusionary environment where “You can be anything you want to be if you set your mind to it.”

This morning I was freed. My mind revolted against this idea when I saw a top director at my workplace being put in “his place” by a more senior top director. The revelation was elegantly simple and I have accepted it as an infallible truth.

The reality of humanity in 2009 is that we all have a boss.

I am sure that you disagree and can think of situations where a person has no boss. Well I did the same thing and found that with only a single exception that can never apply to me, everyone reports to someone.

Case 1: Movie - Office Space
While Peter in found some temporary solace in his hypnotic state, it was a short term solution and eventually he had to deal with the reality of a world with bosses in it.

Case 2: Average Breakers of the Law
Those who choose to break the law then must either flee or deal with the consequences. Either way, they are limited in what their choices are and are never really free. Also they will have to deal with whatever morally binding rules they believe in. If they don’t get caught it is only because they assimilate with society and live a life with bosses.

Case 3: Super Drug Lords
Drug Lords might just shoot anyone who they dislike, but they have to sell their product. If you sell anything you need someone else’s approval and they are your boss.

Case 4: President of the US
George W. sure as hell tried to do what he wanted, but he has to deal with Congress and a whole bunch of Angry Americans. Oh and Cheney.

Case 5: Old Ladies
Ok… they don’t have a boss. They do whatever the fuck they want and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. What, are you going to stop an old lady from cutting you at the supermarket line? Are you going to argue with your grandma? However, like I said earlier… I can never be an old lady.

Case 6: Bill Gates
Mrs. Gates

So, for me, I am going to accept that I will always have a boss.

Source:
http://karatekid.sydlexia.com/GPFontaine/articles/20090226_The-World-of-Bosses.php

Edit Note: I originally meant to make this an article and then had the forum window open and forgot about my initial intentions. So, it was done backwards. But it is now an article and a forum post. Redundant... yes. A deadly mistake? Nah... Sorry for the confusion though.

username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

lol sweet rant

the company i work for has fired about 8 or 9 supervisors in the last 6 months. i started working there september 9. so thats roughly six months. so, the whole time i been there, pretty much all the supervisors, including the site manager have all been replaced.

that makes me believe that i belong as a peon on the front lines, since there is more security there vs moving up the ranks. or, just find a better company

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't find it anymore, but there's a dilbert comic describing the 9 types of bosses...
But GPF=> AWESOMENESS! Razz
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have no qualms about being completely rude to old ladies with whom I have no blood relation. As far as I'm concerned, they can't die soon enough. If they impede me in any whatsoever, I say a little prayer in my head to the One True God asking that He make them die in a horrible car crash in the next 15 minutes. The One True God is merciful though, so He usually ignores my prayers. But there are rare occasions where He hasn't, and it makes me smile to think I played some small part in some worthless old lady's death. That's what you get for taking 12 items through the express lane, bitch.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I totally stole some old lady's parking spot. In all fairness, I had been driving around for about 45 minutes and she just parked herself (illegally) in a tiny parking lot waiting for someone to leave whilst blocking off half a dozen parked cars and impeding the flow of traffic. She had it coming.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
I totally stole some old lady's parking spot. In all fairness, I had been driving around for about 45 minutes and she just parked herself (illegally) in a tiny parking lot waiting for someone to leave whilst blocking off half a dozen parked cars and impeding the flow of traffic. She had it coming.

Karma is by no means ageist.

I have a thing that gives me some patience with older people, but it runs out quickly. Slap!

RIP Hacker.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Are you saying I no have bad karma or my road rage + heavy foot = karma?

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Ice2SeeYou
Title: Sexual Tyrannosaurus
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 01:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't feel respect should be given just because a person is old.

Do we respect old computers? No.....we laugh at how obsolete and utterly inept they are.

Sydlexia.com - Where miserable bastards meet to call each other retards.

Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 03:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dr. Jeebus wrote:
Are you saying I no have bad karma or my road rage + heavy foot = karma?

I pray the latter.

RIP Hacker.

Ross Rifle
Title: Rock N Roll God
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 03:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Rycona's saying that the old lady had it coming to her.

Does anybody here have a Ross Rifle?
www.thetwowordsmusic.com
www.myspace.com/rossrifle

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
SevereFlame
Title: Superpowered President
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 04:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ice2SeeYou wrote:
I don't feel respect should be given just because a person is old.

Do we respect old computers? No.....we laugh at how obsolete and utterly inept they are.

Old computers are like old people then. Obsolete and utterly inept.
Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 04:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure that's what he was implying flame Razz

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
Lottel
Title: of the Eternal BWOG
PostPosted: Feb 26 2009 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:

BUT old computers don't crash their vehicles into classrooms, killing young children.

I say keep the old computers and kill the old people.

Also, they smell.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well written, GP, and prescient. I think everyone has to reach the same conclusion at some point in their lives. I've kinda ceased to see it as a negative thing, just a fact of life.

Still (and you probably don't need me to say this), the ambition to start your own company is a very, very worthy and realistic one. Even if you aren't entirely without a boss, the creative control you have will still let you execute you vision in the way that you want.

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 08:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
Well written, GP, and prescient. I think everyone has to reach the same conclusion at some point in their lives. I've kinda ceased to see it as a negative thing, just a fact of life.

Still (and you probably don't need me to say this), the ambition to start your own company is a very, very worthy and realistic one. Even if you aren't entirely without a boss, the creative control you have will still let you execute you vision in the way that you want.

I used to have my own company. It was actually starting to take off. I decided to leave it and chose to follow my future wife to Boston.

It turned out to be the best decision ever. I left a company but married my best friend.

Also, if I hadn't made that choice I never would have found SydLexia.com.

Hacker
Banned
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lottel wrote:
Ross Rifle wrote:

BUT old computers don't crash their vehicles into classrooms, killing young children.

Also, they smell.

Thats horrible
Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lottel wrote:

Old people don't need to be killed. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

SoldierHawk
Title: Warrior-Poet
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 01:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

I used to have my own company. It was actually starting to take off. I decided to leave it and chose to follow my future wife to Boston.

It turned out to be the best decision ever. I left a company but married my best friend.

Awww...I love happy endings. Smile Glad things worked out in spite of everything, GP.

Are you trying to get a company started again? Or are you pretty okay with where you are jobwise?

militarysignatures.com

William Shakespeare wrote:
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 01:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SoldierHawk wrote:
GPFontaine wrote:
SoldierHawk wrote:

Awww...I love happy endings. Smile Glad things worked out in spite of everything, GP.

Are you trying to get a company started again? Or are you pretty okay with where you are jobwise?

As per OCD, my life has been scheduled and deviating from that schedule would cause me great anxiety.

Age 26-28 - Saving for a House
Age 29-30 - Owning a house
Age 31-35 - Making babies
Age 36-44 - Moving up the Business ladder
Age 45 - Midlife Crisis
Age 46-50 - Survive World War 3 in a bunker with my family
Age 51-62 - Enjoy politics and a two term run as President
Age 63-74 - Enjoy touring the world via teleports.
Age 75-85 - Some passport issues left me in jail for 10 years... what the fuck... I'm old!
Age 86-99 - China became a democracy in 2053 and all rebellions have quieted down so we move there to the Ningxia valley where we are rich and eat berries all day.
Age 100-120 - The current president is being a douche, so I have to move back to the US and fix our foreign policy issues. While I am successful, the current president physically assaulted the first alien to make contact and we are in an intergalactic war.
Age 121-143 - To bring peace to all mankind I have worked with scientific geniuses to clone individuals from the past. Much to others distaste I brought the original lineup of GNR back together. The rocked out for about 5 years bringing an end to the terrible war.
Age 144-162 - The GNR thing really turned ugly after those first 5 years. Axl Jr walked off stage during a show for our Alien overlords and they took it as a terrible human gesture. They decided to plug us into their "matrix".

Wow... um... gotta get back to work so I can get to owning a house. Don't want to mess up my schedule.

Kojjiro!
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 02:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

exceptions:

1. Warren Ellis

Sure, he's usually working under some idiot that doesn't know what a good comic book is (Joe Queseda) BUT, he's usually* just drunk enough to tell them to piss off, and ass he's proved with practically all of his bestsellers, he gets away doing anything he wants.

(*always)

Tyop
Title: Grammar Nazi
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 02:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also if you try to tell Warren Ellis what to do, he will send the arse eels.

Ross Rifle
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 08:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

GP, I better be opening for GNR 2.0.

www.thetwowordsmusic.com

GPFontaine
PostPosted: Feb 27 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ross Rifle wrote:
GP, I better be opening for GNR 2.0.

If you live as long as I do, sure. No prob.

Reply to topic

Jump to: