SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Commodore 64

Reply to topic
OctoMan
PostPosted: Nov 18 2005 07:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say, as someone with extremely fond Commodore 64 memories, I was less than impressed with Syd's description of the C64 as a system that 'really wasn't all that good to begin with'. Well, ok, it wasn't... but considering the technology they had to work with, I think they managed to come up with some pretty damn good stuff. Did anyone else have one?
Valdronius
Title: SydLexia COO
PostPosted: Nov 18 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Most games that were available on both C64 and NES were actually better on the C64. Like Spy Hunter, and Maniac Mansion. I will always have a place in my heart for the old blue screen.
LOAD"*",8,1 forever.

Klimbatize wrote:
A Hispanic dude living in Arizona knows a lot of Latinas? That's fucking odd.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 18 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My friend had one and we used to play Impossible Mission and Space Taxi all the time. Both were pretty fun, although Impossible Mission did live up to its name pretty well.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
cybersst
Title: Let it
PostPosted: Nov 19 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

My C64 was on a black & white TV, so I had no idea the difference between the puzzle pieces in Impossible Mission. I remember the guy yelling as he fell down a hole.

ImageImage

View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Nov 21 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

All I ever played on the C64 was some old Bruce Lee game. I didn't deal with it very long because the horrible collisions were bugging my mind.

RIP Hacker.

spoilsport
Title: Bad News
PostPosted: Nov 22 2005 01:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I find it really hard to compare 80s computers with 80s consoles, because although we always wanted them to do the same things, they were actually pretty different. My parents were nerds and they never bought me a console, since computers had much more appeal for them. When I was a kid I would have gladly traded my Commodore for an NES, but in retrospect if I could only have one or the other, I'm sort of glad it was a C64.

I've always thought games were much better on the NES. And generally the C64 ports of NES games were frustratingly terrible. But the C64 was a computer, and there was more you could do with it, like pirate games or hook it up to a modem and dial up BBSs. And the C64 did have some decent games (if you could wait 5 minutes for them to load), although they were usually very different from NES games.

BTW, I'm new here and this is my first post. I found the site while looking for Christmas video games and I've stayed because of my love of GnR and fondness for YCDTOTV. There are so few places where you can explore those interests at the same time.

eight-bit.com

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 22 2005 06:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You make some excellent points, spoilsport. Welcome the forums.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
OctoMan
PostPosted: Nov 23 2005 03:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

spoilsport wrote:
And the C64 did have some decent games... although they were usually very different from NES games.

Definitely, I mean, my favorite C64 games were the Gold Box AD&D games. But they are games I'd still play today.

Quote:
There are so few places where you can explore those interests at the same time.

LOL... true dat!
Reply to topic

Jump to: